Thread poster: Emma Gledhill
Emma Gledhill
Emma Gledhill
Switzerland
Local time: 18:03
German to English
+ ...
Jul 21, 2006

I'm not sure if this should be in the Mac forum or the Trados forum so please feel free to move this if appropriate!

Having been without a laptop for a couple of years it's now time to remedy the situation. Since I use Trados all the time I have in the past had no option but to go for a PC running Windows.

However now Apple are using the Intel chips and can run Windows, this becomes, on paper, a highly viable option. Combined with Parallels, in theory I could run Trado
... See more
I'm not sure if this should be in the Mac forum or the Trados forum so please feel free to move this if appropriate!

Having been without a laptop for a couple of years it's now time to remedy the situation. Since I use Trados all the time I have in the past had no option but to go for a PC running Windows.

However now Apple are using the Intel chips and can run Windows, this becomes, on paper, a highly viable option. Combined with Parallels, in theory I could run Trados and Office in one (Windows) window and everything Internet related etc under Mac OSX in another Window and just switch between the two without having to reboot each time.

Has anyone tried this yet? What are your experiences, does it work OK?

Thanks in advance for any info!
Collapse

Steven Sidore
Steven Sidore  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
Not quite Jul 21, 2006

I also have the Intel Mac, although I haven't had a chance to install boot camp yet. I've read quite a bit about it, and the only problem with your plan is that I don't believe you can switch between the two OSs the way you can switch between users. You load up the machine in one OS or the other, period; if you want the other, you have to restart.

HTH!

Steven

Emma Gledhill
Emma Gledhill
Switzerland
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sorry for the confusion Jul 21, 2006

Steven Sidore wrote:

I also have the Intel Mac, although I haven't had a chance to install boot camp yet. I've read quite a bit about it, and the only problem with your plan is that I don't believe you can switch between the two OSs the way you can switch between users. You load up the machine in one OS or the other, period; if you want the other, you have to restart.

HTH!

Steven

Hi Steven

You're right with reference to boot camp, I shouldn't really have mentioned that I suppose. However, there is a piece of third-party software, recommended by Apple, called Parallels which effectively runs Windows as a separate window and you can the load your Windows applications in that. My husband has a Mac Book Pro with this on and in theory it seems that this *should* work - but I was wondering if anyone had any practical experience of it with Trados or whether I'm likely to be the guinea pig!

Thanks,
Emma

Laszlo Kalman
Laszlo Kalman
Hungary
English to Hungarian
Bootcamp and parallels Jul 21, 2006

Emma Gledhill wrote:

However now Apple are using the Intel chips and can run Windows, this becomes, on paper, a highly viable option. Combined with Parallels, in theory I could run Trados and Office in one (Windows) window and everything Internet related etc under Mac OSX in another Window and just switch between the two without having to reboot each time.

Has anyone tried this yet? What are your experiences, does it work OK?

Thanks in advance for any info!

It works wery vell with Parallels and Boot Camp! Excellent! I have macbook 2.0GHz 2GB ram.

Emma Gledhill
Emma Gledhill
Switzerland
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Good answer! Jul 21, 2006

Laszlo Kalman wrote:

It works wery vell with Parallels and Boot Camp! Excellent! I have macbook 2.0GHz 2GB ram.

Thanks Laszlo, that's exactly the config I'm looking at. We today downloaded Trados with a test licence and installed and ran it on a Mac Book Pro with no problems whatsoever. This looks promising. The plan is to use Windows for Trados, Office and any other small apps that aren't available for Mac, and run all Internet access (mail, chat, 'Net etc) in OSX - is that what you do?

Laszlo Kalman
Laszlo Kalman
Hungary
English to Hungarian
Yes:) Jul 24, 2006

Emma Gledhill wrote:

Laszlo Kalman wrote:

Thanks Laszlo, that's exactly the config I'm looking at. We today downloaded Trados with a test licence and installed and ran it on a Mac Book Pro with no problems whatsoever. This looks promising. The plan is to use Windows for Trados, Office and any other small apps that aren't available for Mac, and run all Internet access (mail, chat, 'Net etc) in OSX - is that what you do?

Yes, and it's perfect for me. Hobby and work in one computer with maximum security.

Edwal Rospigliosi
Edwal Rospigliosi  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Yes Jul 4, 2007

I just bought a Mini Dual Core, running both OS X and Windows. It's a great little machine, and runs Trados perfectly.

Emma Gledhill
Emma Gledhill
Switzerland
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Feedback Jul 11, 2007

I've now been using the Mac with Parallels and Trados for a year and am delighted with the setup. It could be quicker at times, but it's not really a problem. I now curse if I actually have to use Windows

Cord Steinmeyer (X)
Cord Steinmeyer (X)
English to German
+ ...
Trados seems to run on the Mac, yet no icons in Word Aug 13, 2007

Dear Colleagues,

I've installed Trados on my Mac Book Pro under Parallels. However, the Workbench does not seem to "connect" to my Word version, i.e., the Trados icons do not appear in the the Word tool bar. Any suggestions on what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks!

C. Steinmeyer

Laszlo Kalman wrote:

Emma Gledhill wrote:

Laszlo Kalman wrote:

Yes, and it's perfect for me. Hobby and work in one computer with maximum security.

Stefan Budrich
Stefan Budrich  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2005)
English to German
Word add-ins settings correct? Aug 13, 2007

Hallo, Cord,

my first idea is to check if Trados.dot is listed in the "Extras / Vorlagen und Add-Ins" menu item in Win-Word.

If you have the Kaspersky suite installed, it may have blocked the Word add-in for Trados.

Stefan Budrich

Cord Steinmeyer (X)
Cord Steinmeyer (X)
English to German
+ ...
Icons appear but "Macro not found" Aug 14, 2007

Thanks,

I now found and added a "Trados5-Vorlage", and the Toolbar icons do appear. However, once I try to connect to the workbench, I get a message saying something like: "Macro not found or disabled due to Macro settings".

Any suggestion how to fix this? I am at a loss...

Thanks & regards,

C. Steinmeyer

Stefan Budrich wrote:

Hallo, Cord,

my first idea is to check if Trados.dot is listed in the "Extras / Vorlagen und Add-Ins" menu item in Win-Word.

If you have the Kaspersky suite installed, it may have blocked the Word add-in for Trados.

Stefan Budrich

Emma Gledhill
Emma Gledhill
Switzerland
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Try the Trados forum Sep 21, 2007

FWIW once you are working in Parallels, you are effectively in a native Windows environment so I doubt your problem arises because you are using a Mac. You might like to try posting your query in the Trados forum or do a forum search; I find it is often the very best resource for Trados problems and often has fixes that aren't in the official knowledge base

Garikoitz Knörr
Garikoitz Knörr
Spanish to Basque
+ ...
Trados shortcuts with mac/parallels Oct 10, 2007

I'm happy to know that I'm not the only one using Trados on a Macbook with Parallels (I really thought I was...). It's a great combination, but I have a question, and I hope you can help me:

- can you use Trados' shorcuts, especially the Set/Close Next Open/Get one? How?

Thanks!

Emma Gledhill
Emma Gledhill
Switzerland
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
External keyboard Oct 11, 2007

Gari wrote:

I'm happy to know that I'm not the only one using Trados on a Macbook with Parallels (I really thought I was...). It's a great combination, but I have a question, and I hope you can help me:

- can you use Trados' shorcuts, especially the Set/Close Next Open/Get one? How?

Thanks!

I use an external wireless keyboard for day-to-day work, and tend only to use the MacBook keyboard for non-work stuff. Logitech do a cordless desktop (keyboard and mouse) specifically for Mac i.e. with the Apple key on it, which then works as the Windows key when you're working in Windows. If you're using a laptop as your main machine for day-in day-out work, it's sensible to use an external keyboard anyway (healthier)

[Edited at 2007-10-11 09:08]

Ignacio Carretero
Ignacio Carretero  Identity Verified
Spain
French to Spanish
+ ...
Virtual OSes on a Linux Macbook Nov 23, 2007

Laszlo Kalman wrote:

Emma Gledhill wrote:

Laszlo Kalman wrote:

I've found a better solution regarding security and flexibility... even price Instead of depending on Parallels, now I use Ubuntu Linux for common tasks on my macbook while working on VirtualBox. There's an open source edition -OSE- of VirtualBox which perhaps you can try out with Office and Trados (beware of licensing, though!), as well as any other legacy resources like dictionaries. It works fine.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Using Trados on the new Intel Macs with boot camp or Parallels

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »