Adriana Prado
Adriana Prado
Spain
Local time: 02:01
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Jul 3, 2007

Dear ya'll,

I have just bought a lovely Macbook, which I have been wanting to get for years. I also bought a Spanish keyboard to go with it (got the Mac in the U.S., but live in Spain). Now I am wondering how to find the following Portuguese accents: "ã" and "õ" (I am using a PC right now, that's why I am able to make them). Could you please help?

Thanks so much!

Adriana

P.S. Option+n doesn't do the trick.

Stefan Budrich
Stefan Budrich  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2005)
English to German
change keyboard setup / alt+n+a or alt+n+o Jul 3, 2007

Adriana,
if you do not want to switch you keyboard setup to Portuguese (system config-> country options (or similar)) it should work with the combinations alt+n+o for the õ and alt+n+a for the ã.
Works on my (German) MacBook.

Stefan

Mélanie Chanat
Mélanie Chanat  Identity Verified
Germany
English to French
+ ...
Portuguese accents for Apple Users Jul 3, 2007

Boa Tarde Adriana,

I work on a Powerbook and iMac with French (Azerty) keyboard.

Maybe you can have a look at the International icon in the System preference file.

From there you can add a language (Portuguese) to your own system and then you just need to modify the language by clicking on the Portuguese flag when you want to use portuguese signs.

For example, ù in French (or ; in Spanish) becomes õ/ã into Portuguese.

Let
... See more
Boa Tarde Adriana,

I work on a Powerbook and iMac with French (Azerty) keyboard.

Maybe you can have a look at the International icon in the System preference file.

From there you can add a language (Portuguese) to your own system and then you just need to modify the language by clicking on the Portuguese flag when you want to use portuguese signs.

For example, ù in French (or ; in Spanish) becomes õ/ã into Portuguese.

Let me know if it works for you, if not I will ask a friend of mine who works for Apple.

Kind regards
Mélanie
Collapse

Adriana Prado
Adriana Prado
Spain
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Still in limbo land Jul 3, 2007

Oh, many thanks to both of you.

Stefan, the alt+n+a or alt+n+o don't work with a Spanish keyboard. It might do, though, with the English and German ones, which appear to be similar.

Mélanie, it does work adding the Portuguese language to my system, but it is counterproductive for me, because then everything else changes, all the accents, letters, punctuation marks...
If there is a way I could use the Spanish keyboard, having Spanish as my default language (I wri
... See more
Oh, many thanks to both of you.

Stefan, the alt+n+a or alt+n+o don't work with a Spanish keyboard. It might do, though, with the English and German ones, which appear to be similar.

Mélanie, it does work adding the Portuguese language to my system, but it is counterproductive for me, because then everything else changes, all the accents, letters, punctuation marks...
If there is a way I could use the Spanish keyboard, having Spanish as my default language (I write a lot in Spanish), and still find the ãs and õs, it would be ideal and cause me a huge smile (and less headaches...). If you could be so kind to ask your friend about it, I would appreciate it!

Thanks again!
Collapse

Roberta Anderson
Roberta Anderson  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
Character Palette from Edit > Special Characters Jul 4, 2007

it's not as quick as typing, but you can get them from Edit > Special Characters and the Character Palette.
You can store your most frequent ones in the Favorites tab, so as to limit scrolling to look for them.
(see this Mac OS help topic, http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=Mac/10.4/es/mh1064.html, for reference)

Hope this helps,... See more
it's not as quick as typing, but you can get them from Edit > Special Characters and the Character Palette.
You can store your most frequent ones in the Favorites tab, so as to limit scrolling to look for them.
(see this Mac OS help topic, http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=Mac/10.4/es/mh1064.html, for reference)

Hope this helps,
Roberta

[Edited at 2007-07-04 05:55]
Collapse

davidprt
davidprt
English to Portuguese
Hi Here goes one good Solution Using the U.S. International Jul 12, 2007

http://www.brockerhoff.net/usi/index.html

Here you have a Freeware software, extremely small!
For all Mac OS Versions.

It did solve my problem... using a US Macbook .

Now I can type : Ç ç ã õ ñ ô ó á é à

Easily !

Enj
... See more
http://www.brockerhoff.net/usi/index.html

Here you have a Freeware software, extremely small!
For all Mac OS Versions.

It did solve my problem... using a US Macbook .

Now I can type : Ç ç ã õ ñ ô ó á é à

Easily !

Enjoy and tell others about it.

http://www.brockerhoff.net/products.html

Some other useful freeware for Macs.

David ([email protected])
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Portuguese accents using Spanish keyboard

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »