ibz
ibz  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:24
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
Aug 28, 2007

Dear all,

I'm currently editing a document on PPT with a couple of Polish names in it. As I realized now, some Polish characters are not displayed on my computer (Mac), especially an "l" with an oblique. Could somebody please tell me how I can type or create this letter?

Thank you very much in advance,
Irene

Not sure if this is the right forum for this question...

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Depending on your OS Aug 28, 2007

either install the Language Pack (earlier OS) or go to system settings and chose Polish as one of the supported languages. Than chose, that keyboard layouts shall be shown (I don't remember the exact name of this setting, but what I mean is the language flag appearing in the right upper edge of the screen).
When editing, switch to Polish keyboard.
You can type the letters from the keyboard or you can also use the function "insert special character".
I don't know the layout of P
... See more
either install the Language Pack (earlier OS) or go to system settings and chose Polish as one of the supported languages. Than chose, that keyboard layouts shall be shown (I don't remember the exact name of this setting, but what I mean is the language flag appearing in the right upper edge of the screen).
When editing, switch to Polish keyboard.
You can type the letters from the keyboard or you can also use the function "insert special character".
I don't know the layout of Polish keyboard for a Mac with an English one, but if you wish, I can tell you the layout for a Mac with German keyboard.

HTH
Jerzy
Collapse

Roberta Anderson
Roberta Anderson  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
Moved to Apple/Mac forum Aug 28, 2007

Moved this topic to Apple/Mac forum...

cheers,
Roberta

ibz
ibz  Identity Verified
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Aug 28, 2007

Thank you, Jerzy, for your help!
Kind regards,
Irene

bogdescu
bogdescu
Polish to Romanian
+ ...
keyboar layout Oct 24, 2007

Hi!
Assuming you are using the Polish Pro keyboard layout, here are the key combinations. All of them use the option (alt) key:

For the l with a cut line it's option-l = ł
for ó it's option - o
for ś it's option - s
for ć it's option - c
for ń it's option - n
for ź it's option - z
for ż it's option - x
for ą it's option - a
for ę it's option - e

For caps, just use shift (or caps-lock) in addition to the com
... See more
Hi!
Assuming you are using the Polish Pro keyboard layout, here are the key combinations. All of them use the option (alt) key:

For the l with a cut line it's option-l = ł
for ó it's option - o
for ś it's option - s
for ć it's option - c
for ń it's option - n
for ź it's option - z
for ż it's option - x
for ą it's option - a
for ę it's option - e

For caps, just use shift (or caps-lock) in addition to the combinations above.
If you have a laptop, you have only one option key (on the left hand side).
No dilemmas with a desktop-style keyboard either: only the left alt (option) key works as described above.

Hope this helps!
Bogdan
Collapse

Katharina Wawrzon-Stewart
Katharina Wawrzon-Stewart  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:24
English to German
+ ...
Unable to insert Polish characters using the Polish Pro keyboard Dec 11, 2008

Hello
I hope somebody might be able to help. I work on a MacBook Pro, Mac OS X, Version 10.5.5 and and use Microsoft Word 2004 for Mac (Version 11.5.0). So far, I've never had any problems using the Polish Pro keyboard option when translating into Polish. Well, until today... I'm simply unable to insert any Polish characters using the option (ALT) key. For example, when trying to insert the letter ś (this works without any problems in Safari), I get the character [. I'm out of my depth wh
... See more
Hello
I hope somebody might be able to help. I work on a MacBook Pro, Mac OS X, Version 10.5.5 and and use Microsoft Word 2004 for Mac (Version 11.5.0). So far, I've never had any problems using the Polish Pro keyboard option when translating into Polish. Well, until today... I'm simply unable to insert any Polish characters using the option (ALT) key. For example, when trying to insert the letter ś (this works without any problems in Safari), I get the character [. I'm out of my depth what might have happened here.

Any ideas, any pointers?

Thanks a million
Kasia
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Polish characters on Mac

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »