obligation to buy Office again when changing computer?
Thread poster: Laurence Bourel
Laurence Bourel
Laurence Bourel  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 10:21
English to French
+ ...
Sep 3, 2007

Hello,

the hard disk of my old iMac is dead after 8 years of loyal services ... I went to the Mac shop to buy a new one and I was told I have to buy Office for Mac once again because Office 98 won't work on the new computers. is that true or is it a marketing trick to make me buy more than I need ? Office 98 CD-ROM wont' "emulate" on new IMac, allegedly..

thanks for your advice

Laurence

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:21
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Not true. Sep 3, 2007

You will need an upgrade, though. You can install the upgrade without having to install the old version first.

You own the license and you can use it for any machine. You can even switch between Mac and PC.

bambam
bambam
English to German
+ ...
hardware-software Sep 3, 2007

I am no Mac expert, but as Nicole said you may/have to get an upgrade as it is perfectly possible that the old software is no longer compatible with the new hardware.

For example my then "new" (in 2002) computer (1800 MHz PC) refused to work with my old operating system WIN 95.

Laurence Bourel
Laurence Bourel  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
re : obligation... Sep 4, 2007

Thanks to all of you ; I bought the upgrade in the end and it is much better indeed !

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

obligation to buy Office again when changing computer?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »