Thread poster: Mulyadi Subali
Mulyadi Subali
Mulyadi Subali  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 20:33
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Nov 29, 2007

just got a blackbook with leopard, and planning to install either vmware or parallels. if you have tried (any of) them, i would like to get some review. thanks.

Antti Nyrhinen
Antti Nyrhinen  Identity Verified
English to Finnish
+ ...
Parallels - so far so good Dec 2, 2007

Hi Mulyadi,

I just got a MacBook 2.2GHz with Leopard this past week and today I installed Parallels
and Windows XP. Deja Vu X seems to work pretty well, and I am really looking forward
to doing all my projects on my MacBook instead of my old desktop Windows PC.

Parallels is a little heavy on the system resources, so I think a RAM upgrade will
probably be a necessary move sometime soon. I actually wanted to get 2GB
instead of 1GB when I got this m
... See more
Hi Mulyadi,

I just got a MacBook 2.2GHz with Leopard this past week and today I installed Parallels
and Windows XP. Deja Vu X seems to work pretty well, and I am really looking forward
to doing all my projects on my MacBook instead of my old desktop Windows PC.

Parallels is a little heavy on the system resources, so I think a RAM upgrade will
probably be a necessary move sometime soon. I actually wanted to get 2GB
instead of 1GB when I got this machine, but then I got a little ticked off when
I realized the MB comes with 2x512MB RAM and no free slots, so I'd have to
just throw them away. But I think pretty soon I will just go straight to 4GB.

I found Parallels fairly easy to install, only real problems I've had so far was
with accessing a USB thumbdrive. DVD drive access was a little patchy but
in the end it worked out OK.

You might also want to look at Crossover Mac, which would be a slightly
different solution to running Windows software. On their website they have
a list of compatible software. The list is quite limited for now, DVX for example
is listed, but only one person there indicates that they have tried it and there
are no further details on that.

Anyway, congratulations on your blackbook purchase.. I don't know if it's
your first Mac or not, for me this is, and I couldn't be happier
Collapse

Mulyadi Subali
Indonesia
English to Indonesian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
khopkhun krub Dec 3, 2007

thanks for sharing. i know how you feel about the pre-installed ram. kinda make them useless if you want to max them out.
this is my first mac too. i actually did wait for the leopard. it is nice, but i'm still familiarizing myself with the shortcuts.

Antti Nyrhinen
Antti Nyrhinen  Identity Verified
English to Finnish
+ ...
mai pen rai krub Dec 3, 2007

Please post back here when you have tried either Parallels or VMWare. I was faced
with the same choice but saw a few more mentions of Parallels at least here on ProZ
so I figured I would try that first. As I said, it's worked OK so far. Even the problem
with USB thumbdrive access is pretty minor, as the system of shared folders between
OSX and WinXP seems to work well.

[Edited at 2007-12-04 07:50]

Mulyadi Subali
Indonesia
English to Indonesian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
brief review on fusion Dec 4, 2007

k. antti,

i tried parallels briefly. when i installed windows xp, it kinda stalled. maybe because i was also watching a video. eventually it hanged that i had to restart it.
then i used fusion. i think it takes less resources than parallels. i kinda like it 'unity' feature, in which i don't have to be bound with windows' window when using windows application. which basically loo
... See more
k. antti,

i tried parallels briefly. when i installed windows xp, it kinda stalled. maybe because i was also watching a video. eventually it hanged that i had to restart it.
then i used fusion. i think it takes less resources than parallels. i kinda like it 'unity' feature, in which i don't have to be bound with windows' window when using windows application. which basically looks like this:

http://www.vmware.com/files/images/screens_fusion/8_program_menu.png

it also has a launcher that works similar to launchy and/or spotlight:

http://www.vmware.com/files/images/screens_fusion/7_launcher.png

i haven't tried much though. i've only installed microsoft office and trados 2k6. both, so far, work fine.
i made my home folder to be shared with xp. i haven't got the time to read on the usb support though.

[Edited at 2007-12-04 15:28]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

vmware fusion vs. parallels desktop

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »