Local time: 07:31
Member (2001)
English to Russian
+ ...
Mar 10, 2003

Does MetaTexis work on Mac platform?

What about other translation tools?

Thanks,

I will be satisfied with very brief explanation/confirmation.

And another: between Mac and PC - using Mac, - is it ok to do jobs (ie pick them from PC/Windows minded clients, process in the Mac environment, and then send them back to PC/Windows clients?

Or better not to focus on Macs and stay stick to PC?

Thanks,

Vlad

Hermann Bruns
Hermann Bruns  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:31
English to German
Most translators use Windows Apr 17, 2003

Hello Vladimir,

for technical reasons, MetaTexis does not work in the MAC environment. MetaTexis uses some advanced techniques which are not available on the MAC.

As regards translation and the MAC in general: Almost all popular CAT tools are for Windows only. Wordfast is the only exception. Moreover, many other tools for translators are only available for the Windows platform.

For this reason, many professional translators prefer th
... See more
Hello Vladimir,

for technical reasons, MetaTexis does not work in the MAC environment. MetaTexis uses some advanced techniques which are not available on the MAC.

As regards translation and the MAC in general: Almost all popular CAT tools are for Windows only. Wordfast is the only exception. Moreover, many other tools for translators are only available for the Windows platform.

For this reason, many professional translators prefer the Windows environment.

Best regards

Hermann

Collapse

Emmanuelle Riffault
Emmanuelle Riffault  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 22:31
Member (2004)
German to French
+ ...
Mac forever May 7, 2004

Hi Vladimir,

Vladimir Dubisskiy wrote:
Does MetaTexis work on Mac platform?
What about other translation tools?

I also work on mac (and only mac) and I use Wordfast to my satisfaction. I've also heard of OmegaT (you can have a look there :http://www.omegat.org/omegat/omegat.html). But I haven't tried it yet.

Vladimir Dubisskiy wrote:
And another: between Mac and PC - using Mac, - is it ok to do jobs (ie pick them from PC/Windows minded clients, process in the Mac environment, and then send them back to PC/Windows clients?

No problem there either. Most of my clients work on Windows :nonono: and they have never complained. As we mostly work with Office, there are no reasons to have problems there.

Conclusion : I would never buy a PC

Cheers

Emmanuelle

Marc P (X)
Marc P (X)  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
Mac forever May 8, 2004

Several CAT tools are available for the Mac, particularly Java-based tools, which are cross-platform. These include OmegaT, Frankenstein and the Araya Suite.

You can get the latest version of OmegaT from the files section of the user forum at groups.yahoo.com/group/omegat.

Marc

[Edited at 2004-05-08 09:40]

Michael Sciascia
Michael Sciascia
Italian to English
+ ...
Finally SW for mac May 17, 2004

Hi!
I've finally found this thread and I am downloading the softwares mentioned before. I thought there werent\'t at all for Mac

I installed both Omega and Wordfast and I am going to try them out.

Which one do you think is the best one?

Thanks for the information.

Ciao,
Michael

Marc P (X)
Marc P (X)  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
CATs for Mac May 17, 2004

Michael Sciascia wrote:

Which one do you think is the best one?

Michael,

The one that works best for you is the best one.

Both Wordfast and OmegaT have Yahoo! user groups where you can get advice. OmegaT is free (make sure you get v. 1.3.11), and there are two free versions of Wordfast - one quite recent but "crippled", the other older but fully functional. Try them both. To get the most out of OmegaT, you need to install OpenOffice.org, which can be a little daunting on the Mac.

Marc

biegri
biegri
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:31
English to Italian
+ ...
can't get it right..!! May 31, 2004

i downloaded wordfast but then I found out that the server is not compatible with Mac...anybody knows a way around it?
Also I followed your advices and download OmegaT but I can't figure it out what download I need from Java....
Any help?
Barbara

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

CATs for Mac

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »