Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4 5] >
What do you think about babelcube? (Part 2)
Thread poster: Juliano Martins
Juliano Martins
Juliano Martins  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 20:47
Member (2008)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Jun 9, 2015

Hello everyone,

I started a topic a few weeks ago to discuss about babelcube. There was a person who disrespected the rules of this website, so his posts were deleted. And for some reason the topic was blocked. Anyway, if you want to read the whole story from the beginning, here it is:
... See more
Hello everyone,

I started a topic a few weeks ago to discuss about babelcube. There was a person who disrespected the rules of this website, so his posts were deleted. And for some reason the topic was blocked. Anyway, if you want to read the whole story from the beginning, here it is: http://www.proz.com/forum/business_issues/284845-what_do_you_think_about_babelcube.html

And now, for those of you who are curious, I bring you some fresh news. In the first 3 weeks, the book I translated sold 261 copies. I am very happy with the results so far.

I know it’s still early, but maybe someone changes their mind after seeing the results. I'm going to update the counter as the months pass, at least for those of you who are interested.

Best regards!
Collapse

Hebat-Allah El Ashmawy
Hebat-Allah El Ashmawy  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 01:47
Italian to Arabic
+ ...
Congratulations! Jun 9, 2015

Juliano Martins wrote:

Hello everyone,

I started a topic a few weeks ago to discuss about babelcube. There was a person who disrespected the rules of this website, so his posts were deleted. And for some reason the topic was blocked. Anyway, if you want to read the whole story from the beginning, here it is: http://www.proz.com/forum/business_issues/284845-what_do_you_think_about_babelcube.html

And now, for those of you who are curious, I bring you some fresh news. In the first 3 weeks, the book I translated sold 261 copies. I am very happy with the results so far.

I know it’s still early, but maybe someone changes their mind after seeing the results. I'm going to update the counter as the months pass, at least for those of you who are interested.

Best regards!

Juliano Martins
Brazil
Member (2008)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
A few tips Jun 9, 2015

One thing I did in order to advertise about the book was to visit several Facebook pages/groups related to books: e-books, libraries, bookstores, “I love books”, readings, readers, etc. (of course, in my case, pages and groups from Brazil and in Portuguese). And I told them a little story: Hi, I am a translator… now I am translating books… This is my first book… I hope you enjoy it… here are the links… etc. I have also visited many Facebook pages/groups related to the topic of the... See more
One thing I did in order to advertise about the book was to visit several Facebook pages/groups related to books: e-books, libraries, bookstores, “I love books”, readings, readers, etc. (of course, in my case, pages and groups from Brazil and in Portuguese). And I told them a little story: Hi, I am a translator… now I am translating books… This is my first book… I hope you enjoy it… here are the links… etc. I have also visited many Facebook pages/groups related to the topic of the book, that is: marriage, wedding, brides, wedding dresses, love, romance, novella, romantic stories, etc. So, you can imagine many people from the correct target public will take a look at this book, and eventually by it.

Regarding the number of copies sold, you can check it every day on babelcube. There is a button “Book Sales” that shows how many books were sold in each platform/channel. This number is updated daily. Until now most of my books were sold on Apple, and a few others on Amazon.

Someone told me that you can order a printed copy of the book. I am not sure how it works.

You only get paid when you reach at least 50 USD. And in my case, my first month will still finish in a few weeks, so I haven't received any payment so far.

I will keep you posted.
Collapse

Alex Lago
Alex Lago  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 00:47
English to Spanish
+ ...
Keep us posted Jun 9, 2015

I personally would be interested in knowing how sales go over the months.

BTW and related to the initial post, I see nothing wrong in you doing this (though I doubt it is something I myself would do).

Juliano Martins
Brazil
Member (2008)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I am totally surprised! Jun 9, 2015

People, I have to tell you this, I have just checked it: 696 books were sold so far (in 3 weeks). Over 400 copies were sold only today. I am totally surprised!

Juliano Martins
Brazil
Member (2008)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
You never know what will happen Jun 13, 2015

Today I received an email from a New York Times bestselling author saying that she is interested in working with me. She wrote a series of Young Adult Fantasy series that sold over 100 thousand books. She found me through this forum and now wants me to translate the whole series. I think this is something good. You see, babelcube can lead to great business opportunities.

Marion Scheulenburg

Hebat-Allah El Ashmawy
Hebat-Allah El Ashmawy  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 01:47
Italian to Arabic
+ ...
Congratulations Juliano! Jun 13, 2015

Juliano Martins wrote:

Today I received an email from a New York Times bestselling author saying that she is interested in working with me. She wrote a series of Young Adult Fantasy series that sold over 100 thousand books. She found me through this forum and now wants me to translate the whole series. I think this is something good. You see, babelcube can lead to great business opportunities.

Proud of you. In Arabic, we say (ila al amam daeiman) ,i.e. keep going on. All my best wishes

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:47
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Viral Jun 13, 2015

Isn't viral marketing great?

[Edited at 2015-06-13 09:32 GMT]

Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:47
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Show me the money! Jun 13, 2015

The only thing I care about is how much I will get paid. When you show me a check for $5,000.00 for translating the 40,000 word book or a check for $17,000.00 for translating the 140,000-word book, then I will be interested. Otherwise, nothing else matters and I have better ways to spend my free time. Remember with Babelcube, the more books you sell, the less and less money you make until you are down to 10% of 2.99 or 0.29 cents a book.

Juliano Martins wrote:

People, I have to tell you this, I have just checked it: 696 books were sold so far (in 3 weeks). Over 400 copies were sold only today. I am totally surprised!

[Edited at 2015-06-13 17:07 GMT]

[Edited at 2015-06-13 17:08 GMT]

Juliano Martins
Brazil
Member (2008)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I will let you know about the money Jun 13, 2015

Hi Jeff,

I will let you guys know about the payments. Don't worry! Let's see how it works.

See you!

Jeff Whittaker
United States
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
I wonder if a publishing company would gain financially by Jun 13, 2015

purchasing books themselves to market the benefits of a book translating system to translators in a public forum.

Tom in London wrote:

Isn't viral marketing great?

[Edited at 2015-06-13 17:31 GMT]

Tom in London

Jeff Whittaker
United States
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
We already know how it works - it's in the contract Jun 13, 2015

Remember these books are selling at $2.99 minus expenses and returns are diminishing. Once you've sold 2675 books (at an approximate average compensation of $1.00 per book) (and assuming they don't issue coupons - see fine print), you henceforth only get $0.29 per book:

"For the first $2,000 in (net*) sales, the rights holder/book author would receive 30% ($600), the translator 55% ($1,100) or $1.64 per book and BC gets 15% ($300)

For the next $3,000, the rights holder
... See more
Remember these books are selling at $2.99 minus expenses and returns are diminishing. Once you've sold 2675 books (at an approximate average compensation of $1.00 per book) (and assuming they don't issue coupons - see fine print), you henceforth only get $0.29 per book:

"For the first $2,000 in (net*) sales, the rights holder/book author would receive 30% ($600), the translator 55% ($1,100) or $1.64 per book and BC gets 15% ($300)

For the next $3,000, the rights holder would receive 45% ($1,350), the translator 40% ($1,200) or $1.20 per book and BC 15% ($450)

For the next $3,000, the rights holder would receive 65% ($1,950), the translator 20% ($600) or $0.60 a book and BC 15% ($450)

For all remaining sales after $8000, the rights holder would receive 75%, the translator 10% or $0.29 a book and BC 15%."

*Fine print: "*Net Sales Receipts means the monetary amount received by Babelcube from sales of each unit sold by Babelcube and Babelcube’s sub-distributors, less any cash incentives, promotional discounts, sales or use taxes, excise taxes, value-added taxes, duties, distribution fees, and returns."

(In other words, they could give people discounts, free books and other incentives and you would earn even less per book sold).

You are assuming 100% of the risk (of potentially working for months for inadequate compensation) while the author and BC assume none of the risk (in the form of advance payment). Of course they want to work with you. Who wouldn't!

Juliano Martins wrote:

Hi Jeff,

I will let you guys know about the payments. Don't worry! Let's see how it works.

See you!

[Edited at 2015-06-13 17:49 GMT]
Collapse

Jeff Whittaker
United States
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
And, um, excuse me... Jun 13, 2015

...what happened to the rule about not naming companies in the forums???

Tom in London

Michele Fauble
Michele Fauble  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:47
Member (2006)
Norwegian to English
+ ...
Jun 13, 2015

[Edited at 2015-06-13 21:22 GMT]

Juliano Martins
Brazil
Member (2008)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
First month Jun 17, 2015

1021 books sold. 700+ on Amazon, almost 300 on Apple and a few on Google and Kobo. So far.

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4 5] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What do you think about babelcube? (Part 2)

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »