Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Things to do while waiting for trados to work ;)
Thread poster: Bruno Depascale
Bruno Depascale
Bruno Depascale  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 19:25
Member (2009)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
stiff workflows.. Aug 21, 2020

Philippe Etienne wrote:

Bruno Depascale wrote:
...many clients send me Trados packages with project TMs and TBs and they want a trados return package...

If your clients are NOT bogged down into stiff workflows that simplify their work only to complicate yours,
If PMs KNOW basics about Trados beyond ticking boxes to decrease weighted word counts,

Hi Philippe thank you very much for your very clear explanation. I knew that there were ways to import TM and TBs in Cafetrans, but the problem is that one of my clients has very rigid procedures in place (even for very small packages), so it wouldn't be feasible to follow your procedure. Also, most of the projects I perform are reviews and not translation, so there would be a problem with context matches.
I'll try it however for other clients. Thanks

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Get Trados support to fix it? Aug 21, 2020

Either tell your clients that the way they set up their packages is a pain in the b... and they must fix them, or get Trados support to fix it.

I did that several computers and versions of Trados ago. I have a PSMA, which looks pricey, but it includes all updates, service packs and new versions when they come out, and you can send an urgent request to SDL support when necessary. I think in the long run it is worth it.

It is two or three years since I needed Trados supp
... See more
Either tell your clients that the way they set up their packages is a pain in the b... and they must fix them, or get Trados support to fix it.

I did that several computers and versions of Trados ago. I have a PSMA, which looks pricey, but it includes all updates, service packs and new versions when they come out, and you can send an urgent request to SDL support when necessary. I think in the long run it is worth it.

It is two or three years since I needed Trados support, but I have done so several times, and they have always been helpful and solved the problem efficiently. One technician did take a couple of hours rearranging my setup remotely, but then it worked without trouble! That was with Studio 2011, I think.

Reinstalling Trados helped once - it installed fast and worked fine on my laptop, but took ages and then crashed on my desktop, so I knew it must be possible somehow. Second time round, it worked properly.

I have also sent packages back to clients or explained that I could not access their online TM, or that they sent me the wrong language ... or on one occasion that I could not open the package at all, but I had set up my own project from the PDF they sent before I accepted the job and an earlier TM.

If it is the client's fault, charge extra for unproductive hassle time if you dare. Either you lose the client or they sort out the problem fast!

I am a translator, not an IT expert, so I insist that the stuff works! I CAN still translate without a CAT, and I let the client know it. The good clients still keep coming back.
Collapse

Wolfgang Schoene
Wolfgang Schoene  Identity Verified
France
English to German
+ ...
Things to do while waiting for trados to work ;) Aug 22, 2020

Bruno Depascale wrote:

Tom in London wrote:

Try another CAT tool, such as Cafetran or OmegaT

Thank you Tom
I would really like to (I also tried Cafetran), but many clients send me Trados packages with project TMs and TBs and they want a trados return package..and unfortunately these CAT tools don't allow me to do that..

That's not entirely true, Cafetran imports and exports Studio packages, and so does MemoQ.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Things to do while waiting for trados to work ;)

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »