Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 09:12
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Your input is much appreciated, believe me Nov 2, 2020

Chris S wrote:
I’m old enough to be a Sheila Wilson or a Dan Lucas, but it seems I’m still just too immature.

Blimey, what a way to spend a Sunday morning.

On the contrary, your sardonic posts have been some of the few in this thread that I've been able to stomach. It's really been most unsavoury to hear such misogyny and racism aired on a ProZ.com forum.

Mind you, "mature" and "old" aren't adjectives I really think of in relation to myself. I'm on the cusp of retirement so I'm looking forward to being a footloose and fancy-free independent spirit again, just like a teenager but with far more money to indulge myself.

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Kay-Viktor Stegemann
expressisverbis
P.L.F. Persio
Christopher Schröder
Becca Resnik
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 10:12
Spanish to English
+ ...
Loss Nov 2, 2020

It'll be a big loss the day you retire, Sheila. Though maybe you won't retire from the forums.

The other day, for example, I was all agog at your endless patience with question after question from someone, for example, but then I just thought "Well, that's Sheila doing her thing". Me, I'd have freaked.

Plus, with all the things you've done, as I've gathered over the years, well, talk about a well-stocked life. And mind.

All the best!

expressisverbis
P.L.F. Persio
Christopher Schröder
Becca Resnik
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro
Jocelyne Cuenin
Rachel Waddington

Kay-Viktor Stegemann
Kay-Viktor Stegemann
Germany
English to German
In memoriam
Just for the record Nov 2, 2020

Sam Abramov wrote:
Funny that you’d say that “if you don’t like it quit” to guys. However saying the very same thing to a minority/girls makes you wrong and evil at the same time.

I don't think so. Just for the record, I would make the same statement regarding to anyone, be it a minority or a woman or a man. "If you don't like it, quit" is of course simplifying things, and it will not work for everyone in every situation, but in the world of translating it is a very valid option, since there is always the chance to go freelance and offer your services worldwide. That should keep you out of the reach of any bully or abusive boss. I believe that freelancing is actually a very good way to un-victimize yourself, regardless if the abuse is real or only perceived.

expressisverbis
P.L.F. Persio
Mervyn Henderson (X)
Sheila Wilson
Becca Resnik
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro
Dan Lucas

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 09:12
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
I'll need to stay grounded Nov 2, 2020

Mervyn Henderson wrote:
It'll be a big loss the day you retire, Sheila. Though maybe you won't retire from the forums.

Thank you for those kind words, Mervyn . No, I doubt I'll disappear from the ProZ.com forums. I think I'll need them at least as much as they need me. There's no better place for keeping yourself firmly grounded.

expressisverbis
Liviu-Lee Roth
P.L.F. Persio
Rachel Waddington

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Wtf? Nov 2, 2020

Sadek_A wrote:
You, cute ICTIP boys like to believe they're, though!

*ICTIP means I-carry-my-testicles-in-a-purse 😄😂🤣. Come on, wikipedia 🤞.

**ICTIP isn't related to sexual orientation, but rather to lazy boys whose only technique of scoring with women is to play meek.

Scooch over, Christine, will ya! 😄😂🤣 Christine is my blow-up doll, BTW 😄😂🤣

Sadek, have you been drinking?

expressisverbis
Mervyn Henderson (X)
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro
Kay Denney
P.L.F. Persio
Becca Resnik

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
. Nov 3, 2020

Sadek_A wrote:

Gerard Barry wrote:

@Kay Denney: I don't quite understand why you would find that derogatory. You're possibly reading something into it that isn't there. What I meant was this: my department (like most in-house translation departments) is mostly female .... which makes me feel unwelcome and unappreciated.

I understood exactly -and, fairly- what you were saying. You meant "I don't speak "women" in a room full of them".

It's like saying "I'm sitting like an idiot surrounded by a group of people speaking a language I don't speak nor even understand".

Even if you make the effort to "understand & speak women" and be part of their group, there is the inherent risk they might shun you after all, and in a "brutal" way (some of them are cute like that!😄😂🤣).

Well I'm not sure I should argue with you since you plainly don't understand our language.
Sadek_A wrote:
And, just for the sake of argument, if your intention was something "derogatory", then as they say "the joke would be on you", because you would be the one doing a "woman's job".

That is exactly Gerard's point: he's doing women's work, which is demeaning to him. And on top of that he's getting emails about increasing diversity even though he already feels like he's in a minority, even though it's only his translation department that has a majority of female staff members (probably the cleaners are all female too but that's outsourced).
Sadek_A wrote:
Final note: you don't owe them anything, no donut, no smile, unless of course they're paying you the same courtesy. Imagine the situation (or, should I say, the massacre!) if a woman here was given by a man the suggestion to shower her male colleagues with smiles and food so they would accept her! So sorry, but such a suggestion, is over-the-top SEXIST! And, views like these are laying the ground for more workplace sexism by offenders from both genders!

May I just point out that, even if I'm sure it would do the office atmosphere some good, the doughnut and smile suggestion was very deliberate, tongue-in-cheek, "reverse sexism", aka a joke? And workplace sexism is already a firm reality, no need to lay any ground for it.

P.L.F. Persio
Sheila Wilson
Becca Resnik
expressisverbis

Andrea Capuselli
Andrea Capuselli
Local time: 06:12
SITE STAFF
SITE LOCALIZER
This thread will be locked. Nov 3, 2020

Dear all,

Thank you for your thoughtful contributions to this topic. This discussion has been going on for over a month and, while many useful arguments and conclusions have been reached, it has long diverged from its original point. To prevent the violation of forum rules, this thread will be locked.

Please remember that
... See more
Dear all,

Thank you for your thoughtful contributions to this topic. This discussion has been going on for over a month and, while many useful arguments and conclusions have been reached, it has long diverged from its original point. To prevent the violation of forum rules, this thread will be locked.

Please remember that Forum rule 6 states: https://www.proz.com/siterules/forum/6#6

When a topic has been locked, discussion may not be resumed. Discussions contained in threads locked or hidden by ProZ.com staff members or moderators should not be resumed. Posts made within such threads may not be edited once a topic has been locked.

Thank you again for your participation, and for using the site.
Collapse

Sam Abramov

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

"Diversity" in the translation industry

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »