Best-value paid business email provider?
Thread poster: Claire Titchmarsh
Claire Titchmarsh
Claire Titchmarsh  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 15:26
Member (2013)
Italian to English
+ ...
Oct 28, 2020

Hi All,

I'm looking to move away from Gmail, partly because I've had my addresses for too long and had (non-work related) security issues recently, but also because I absolutely hate the interface.

Not being a tech expert I can't really articulate my concerns in any more detail than that

I just want a simple, very secure, highly reliable, no-frills email account that doesn't cost very much.... See more
Hi All,

I'm looking to move away from Gmail, partly because I've had my addresses for too long and had (non-work related) security issues recently, but also because I absolutely hate the interface.

Not being a tech expert I can't really articulate my concerns in any more detail than that

I just want a simple, very secure, highly reliable, no-frills email account that doesn't cost very much.

Is there such a thing?

Thanks if you can help.

Claire.
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:26
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Your provider Oct 28, 2020

Claire Titchmarsh wrote:

Hi All,

I just want a simple, very secure, highly reliable, no-frills email account that doesn't cost very much.

Is there such a thing?

Thanks if you can help.

Claire.

Doesn't your Internet provider bundle include an email service?

Yolanda Broad
Platary (X)

Claire Titchmarsh
Italy
Member (2013)
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
not really Oct 28, 2020

I'm afraid bad experiences with Virgin Media destroyed my trust in ISPs, Tom. I now have Vodafone Italia but I'm a tenant and not my name on the account, it's not a viable option.

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
ISP email domains Oct 28, 2020

Tom in London wrote:

They usually do, Tom, but the downside is that if you change to another ISP, you lose your email address.

Yolanda Broad

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Gmail Oct 28, 2020

I also hate the ghastly, confusing and hopeless Gmail interfaces and apps, but you can use another email client (application) with Gmail. On my laptop I access my Gmail emails with Outlook, and on my Android phone I use BlueMail.

Gmail is both secure and reliable, but of course you may still want to use another service.

For my business email I use my web hosting provider, as I have my own website and domain. I only use Gmail for personal email.

You could ha
... See more
I also hate the ghastly, confusing and hopeless Gmail interfaces and apps, but you can use another email client (application) with Gmail. On my laptop I access my Gmail emails with Outlook, and on my Android phone I use BlueMail.

Gmail is both secure and reliable, but of course you may still want to use another service.

For my business email I use my web hosting provider, as I have my own website and domain. I only use Gmail for personal email.

You could have a look at Outlook/Hotmail, but I have no experience with their email service.
Collapse

Yolanda Broad

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Claire Oct 28, 2020

Claire Titchmarsh wrote:
Is there such a thing?

I recently (two years ago) started using Yandex mail for certain of my mails, but it has two issues:
1. Unfortunately, mail filters are processed *after* the spam check, and you can't whitelist with wildcards. You can only whitelist whole addresses, which means that you need to check your spam folder regularly to see if any mail was mistakenly marked as spam. (In Gmail, mail filters are processed *before* the spam check, which means that you can apply filters to mails that would otherwise have been marked as spam, e.g. if they contain a certain word or phrase.)
2. I'm not 100% sure that all Western e-mail servers accept mails to or from a Russian e-mail provider. I must consider the possibility that some of my mails are not delivered.

I tried Hotmail/Outlook, but it kept giving me error messages after I created an account. However, if you already use Microsoft Office 365, then this may be something to investigate, since it includes a lot of storage. Personally, I find the Hotmail/Outlook web site very, very confusing and I never know when I'm where.

(I still use Gmail for most of my mails, due to the large amount of free storage. And for my business related mails, I have a 2 TB account that costs me $10 per month, but the extra GBs are used mostly for storing backups.)

I had (non-work related) security issues recently, but also because I absolutely hate the interface.

Well, unfortunately companies keep improving their services, which means that even if you do find another e-mail provider with a nice interface, you have no way of knowing for how long that nice new interface will be the interface you're going to use. Gmail has changed their interface three years in the past decade.

If you really want to control the interface, why not use an offline mail program?

[Edited at 2020-10-28 17:05 GMT]

Eugenio Garcia-Salmones
Eugenio Garcia-Salmones  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2015)
Russian to Spanish
+ ...
Protonmail Oct 29, 2020

Protonmail is a good option, cheap secure mail and of course does not spy customer, who pays for it services.

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Fastmail Oct 29, 2020

Claire Titchmarsh wrote:

I moved away from gmail long ago and have had two Fastmail accounts since 2014, one for business (using my own domain) and one personal. I have found them very reliable and support has been good. Inexpensive.

Regards,
Dan

Anton Konashenok
Anton Konashenok  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
French to English
+ ...
Zoho Oct 29, 2020

I have been with Zoho for a few years. It's free for up to 5 mailboxes per account (actual mailboxes, not aliases), supports POP, IMAP and webmail, and has other functions besides e-mail, including a web-based office suite. It also allows you to set your own anti-spam policy, including whitelists, blacklists, SPF, DKIM, different levels of checking etc. My only gripe is that their servers may occasionally get overloaded and time out, but it only happens a few times a year and doesn't last for mo... See more
I have been with Zoho for a few years. It's free for up to 5 mailboxes per account (actual mailboxes, not aliases), supports POP, IMAP and webmail, and has other functions besides e-mail, including a web-based office suite. It also allows you to set your own anti-spam policy, including whitelists, blacklists, SPF, DKIM, different levels of checking etc. My only gripe is that their servers may occasionally get overloaded and time out, but it only happens a few times a year and doesn't last for more than a few minutes.

[Edited at 2020-10-29 13:12 GMT]
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Proton Oct 29, 2020

Apparently Proton is very good. I know people who use it. It's open-source and apparently doesn't cost anything unless you want to donate.

https://protonmail.com/

[Edited at 2020-10-29 14:03 GMT]

Claire Titchmarsh
Italy
Member (2013)
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks everyone. Oct 29, 2020

I'll check out your suggestions.

Daryo
Daryo
United Kingdom
Serbian to English
+ ...
Not a good idea Oct 29, 2020

Tom in London wrote:

Claire Titchmarsh wrote:

Hi All,

Is there such a thing?

Thanks if you can help.

Claire.

If you decide later to switch to another Internet provider very often you can kiss goodbye to the email service they provided - resulting in lots of wasted time to migrate to a new email address and possibly all your previous emails being lost forever.

Companies are more often that not obsessed by the idea of making leaving them as difficult as possible. Better get a completely separate email service.

One good way of doing it is to get your own domain name and use it for your email address (and your personal website, if you want). You can then redirect all your emails to whichever email services provider you want.

Philip Lees
A. & S. Witte
Christopher Schröder
Oleksandr Ivanov

Sebastian Witte
Sebastian Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2004)
English to German
+ ...
Mailbox.org Nov 1, 2020

Their starter package "Secure Mail" gives you 2 GB of email space for 1 euro per month.

On their website, it says

"2 GB email storage
100 MB Cloud storage
3 e-mail aliases
Mobile sync
User forum and e-mail helpdesk
Video conferences included until 31/12/2020".

Their 5GB package is 2.50 euros per month:

"5 GB email storage
100 MB Cloud storage
25 e-mail aliases
Mobile sync
User forum and e-ma
... See more
Their starter package "Secure Mail" gives you 2 GB of email space for 1 euro per month.

On their website, it says

"2 GB email storage
100 MB Cloud storage
3 e-mail aliases
Mobile sync
Video conferences included until 31/12/2020".

Their 5GB package is 2.50 euros per month:

"5 GB email storage
100 MB Cloud storage
25 e-mail aliases
Mobile sync
Team or Groupware features
Up to 10 users per team
Video conferences included"

Most people will recommend Posteo https://posteo.de/en instead (starts at 1 euro for 2 GB, with each additional GB setting you back a moderate 0.25 euros). That is alright. I use mailbox.org.

Both companies accept PayPal (and credit card).

[Edited at 2020-11-01 13:54 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Best-value paid business email provider?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »