Thread poster: Tom in London
Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:04
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Regarding the so-called economic argument of getting us all back to work ASAP Mar 27, 2020

aka Trump's terrible back-to-normal-by-Easter idea

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/mar/26/coronavirus-us-economy-health-lives-trump (‘The economy v our lives? It's a false choice – and a deeply stupid one’)

[Edited at 2020-03-27 12:42 GMT]

Ron Willems

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
The economics Mar 27, 2020

Michael Beijer wrote:
Lots

Don't get me wrong, Michael, I'm not questioning your finances; I'm just wondering more generally why there is such a lukewarm reception from people who are basically doing rather well for themselves. And is waiting until early June really such an issue for an established professional paid at 30-60 days?

With no lenders going to repossess, no utilities going to cut people off, and bugger-all else to spend your money on, I'm surprised the government is bailing people out at up to £30k a year. This is somewhat more than keeping them off the breadline, which is what I would be expecting - helping those in real need.

I don't like what little I understand of Brian's arguments, but I too am troubled by the economic rationale. Is it all just about confidence???

Joe France
Dan Lucas
Michael Beijer
Ron Willems

Brian Joyce
Brian Joyce  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2022)
French to English
Confidence Mar 27, 2020

I don't have much confidence in the NHS surviving in an economic crisis caused by the virus shutdown. The NHS is starved of cash at the best of times, I don't have an answer, but shutting down society will generate massive problems in the weeks and months to come. We are not supposed to live like this, this is not how a healthy society works. We could look at Sweden and their approach to the virus.

Haluk Aka, Chartered Linguist (MCIL)
Gerard Barry

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Looking further down the road... Mar 27, 2020

Chris S wrote:
I don't like what little I understand of Brian's arguments, but I too am troubled by the economic rationale. Is it all just about confidence???

There are other things to worry about. Rishi Sunak apparently implied that, if the government is going to treat the self-employed the same as those in regular employment (and, like Chris, I have my doubts about providing a backstop to people earning the median UK income of £30k), then down the road it may be difficult to justify allowing the self-employed to have the so-called perks that are there to offset their lack of sickness pay and other disadvantages.

Does that mean that a coronavirus bailout will result in UK governments at some point seeking to erode or remove those aspects of self-employment that make it attractive? If so, what would that mean for freelancers? After all, for the vast majority of us, simply joining a translation firm is not an option.

Regards,
Dan

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Sweden NO! Mar 27, 2020

Brian Joyce wrote:

We could look at Sweden and their approach to the virus.

Better not. https://tinyurl.com/wo5x5tv

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
I think... Mar 27, 2020

Dan Lucas wrote:

Does that mean that a coronavirus bailout will result in UK governments at some point seeking to erode or remove those aspects of self-employment that make it attractive?
Dan

He meant we will be paying the same NI as employed people...

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
Chris... Mar 27, 2020

Chris S wrote:
With no lenders going to repossess, no utilities going to cut people off, and bugger-all else to spend your money on, I'm surprised the government is bailing people out at up to £30k a year. This is somewhat more than keeping them off the breadline, which is what I would be expecting - helping those in real need.

It depends on where you live, if you have children, if you partner is working too, etc...

A drop of £20,000/year in London is a lot if you are only earning £50,000 (single salary) and you have kids... of course he is not going to be on the breadline, but that £2,500/month might only cover the expenses...

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
lukewarm Corona-gratitude Mar 27, 2020

Chris S wrote:

Michael Beijer wrote:
Lots

Don't get me wrong, Michael, I'm not questioning your finances; I'm just wondering more generally why there is such a lukewarm reception from people who are basically doing rather well for themselves. And is waiting until early June really such an issue for an established professional paid at 30-60 days?

Ha ha, I should add that I'm not complaining. I am in a good position to weather this storm, and am grateful the government will be providing some support to get us through this. I've paid a decent amount of taxes over the 10 years or so I've lived here, so don’t think it's insane for the government to help out. And yes, I know they need the money to fund the NHS, but howbout they buy one less nuclear submarine (or whatever it is they're spending their defence money on these days), and spend it on more pressing matters instead (NHS, education, policing, etc.)?

I'm just going to have to wait and see how this all pans out, financially, and otherwise. One way or another, I'm certain we won't lose our house, etc., but this might only be because we can rely on family money. Even though my sales turnover was around £70,000 in tax year 2018-2019, because we live in the South-East (which is very expensive), and … are terrible at money management, we have no savings or buffers stashed away.
Having said that, something like this has really put things into perspective, and my wife and I are definitely going to try to be much better prepared should something like this happen again. Actually, this whole thing has made it very clear just how lucky we all are (at least here in the UK) and the level of luxury that we enjoy. And … just how much money we waste on total nonsense on a daily basis....

[Edited at 2020-03-27 13:08 GMT]

Alice Crisan

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Preparing for the unexpected Mar 27, 2020

Michael Beijer wrote:
Actually, this whole thing has made it very clear just how lucky we all are (at least here in the UK) and the level of luxury that we enjoy. And … just how much money we waste on total nonsense on a daily basis....

The past few months have taught me a similar lesson: I need to be more careful with money, because as a freelancer you just never know what is coming down the road. I wouldn't say I've been at all profligate, but equally I could have done more to control costs.

Dan

Tom in London
Thomas T. Frost
Alice Crisan
Gabriele Demuth
Ron Willems

Julia Burgess
Julia Burgess  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
Higher NI contributions, greater benefits Mar 30, 2020

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL wrote:

Dan Lucas wrote:

Does that mean that a coronavirus bailout will result in UK governments at some point seeking to erode or remove those aspects of self-employment that make it attractive?
Dan

He meant we will be paying the same NI as employed people...

I for one would be happy to pay the same NI contributions if I get the same benefits. Paid sick leave, anyone?

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
So… Nov 14, 2021

… did any of us survive the crisis?

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
It isn't over Nov 15, 2021

Ice Scream wrote:

It isn't over.

https://www.dw.com/en/coronavirus-global-pandemic-trend/a-53954594

[Edited at 2021-11-15 10:50 GMT]

P.L.F. Persio
P.L.F. Persio  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 18:04
Member (2010)
English to Italian
+ ...
I'm still alive ... Nov 15, 2021

Tom in London wrote:

Ice Scream wrote:

It isn't over.

https://www.dw.com/en/coronavirus-global-pandemic-trend/a-53954594

[Edited at 2021-11-15 10:50 GMT]

... just.

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
Expanding language pairs helps Nov 15, 2021

Workload in specific pairs can temporarily stall out if you're dependent on bureaucracy or specific types of businesses and lockdowns or restrictions kick in.

For example, Russian has very much slowed to a crawl since 2 weeks ago (which coincides with pseudo-lockdowns). Fortunately, Ukrainian hasn't.

Also, don't forget that your workload as a translator almost always depends on MULTIPLE countries. I do a lot of work for a UK customer, but my workload and the timi
... See more
Workload in specific pairs can temporarily stall out if you're dependent on bureaucracy or specific types of businesses and lockdowns or restrictions kick in.

For example, Russian has very much slowed to a crawl since 2 weeks ago (which coincides with pseudo-lockdowns). Fortunately, Ukrainian hasn't.

Also, don't forget that your workload as a translator almost always depends on MULTIPLE countries. I do a lot of work for a UK customer, but my workload and the timing thereof has fluctuated based on lockdowns in Russia, back offices going remote in Asia, etc.

[Edited at 2021-11-15 12:49 GMT]

[Edited at 2021-11-15 12:53 GMT]
Collapse

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
What crisis? Nov 15, 2021

Tom in London wrote:
It isn't over.

Life is pretty much back to normal. We got our free money from the government whether we needed it or not. The world is still turning. Work continues to flow in. Economic activity has bounced back. So it wasn’t that bad after all, money-wise.

It’s a shame the Diary has gone. Some of that might be interesting to read now with the benefit of hindsight.

I was in a building with a load of unmasked people the other day. It felt weird.

I’m doing an outdoor sports event on Saturday where you have to show proof of vaccination to take part. That just feels wrong.

Funny old world.

Kaspars Melkis

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Coronavirus: the situation for UK-based sole traders

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »