Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:52
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Everyday Mar 27, 2020

In my everyday experience, more and more people are appearing who don't know that "everyday" is an adjective that means "commonplace, usual, typical of ordinary days." I come across it every day. Every day, "everyday" is being mangled.

Mervyn Henderson (X)
MollyRose
Jane F

TonyTK
TonyTK
German to English
+ ...
Innit? Mar 28, 2020

Tom in London wrote:

In my everyday experience, more and more people are appearing who ....

Where's this appearing happening? Aren't you social(-)distancing?

Kay Denney

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I really liked this topic! Apr 15, 2020

It put a smile on my face

Someone famous said "First you find it strange, then you can't get enough of it" ("Primeiro estranha-se, depois entranha-se", Fernando Pessoa, Portuguese poet and also a translator).

I agree with you, Tom! While I am not an English speaker, I don't like the expression too much, but languages evolve, and we learn to live with them.

[Edited at 2020-04-15 18:05 GMT]

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Too much, Man Apr 16, 2020

expressisverbis wrote:

Someone famous said "First you find it strange, then you can't get enough of it" ("Primeiro estranha-se, depois entranha-se", Fernando Pessoa, Portuguese poet and also a translator).

I agree with you, Tom! While I am not an English speaker, I don't like the expression too much, but languages evolve, and we learn to live with them.

The expression "too much" used to be common in the 1960s and 1970s. It perfectly expressed a positive reaction to anything that was overwhelmingly good. "Far out" (great, fantastic, wonderful) was another.

[Edited at 2020-04-16 08:00 GMT]

expressisverbis
Angie Garbarino

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Something new :) Apr 16, 2020

Tom in London wrote:

expressisverbis wrote:

The expression "too much" used to be common in the 1960s and 1970s. It perfectly expressed a positive reaction to anything that was overwhelmingly good. "Far out" (great, fantastic, wonderful) was another.

[Edited at 2020-04-16 08:00 GMT]

I like the 60s, and I love the 70s "too much"
Thanks, Tom. This was new for me.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Examples Apr 16, 2020

Examples:

Q. Hey Man, do you dig my new tie-dye T-shirt?
A. Too much!

Q. Shall we go to Kensington Gardens and swim in the pond?
A. Far out!

expressisverbis
Angie Garbarino

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Many thanks for these examples! Apr 16, 2020

Tom in London wrote:

Examples:

Q. Hey Man, do you dig my new tie-dye T-shirt?
A. Too much!

Q. Shall we go to Kensington Gardens and swim in the pond?
A. Far out!

Excellent
I said languages evolve, and it seems the 60s/70s took me back in time.
This proves I am getting older.

Angie Garbarino

MollyRose
MollyRose  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:52
English to Spanish
+ ...
Groovy! Apr 16, 2020

I hated that word, "groovy," but some people in the '60s and '70s used it a lot, along with "far out, man!" and "cool!" I don't remember so much "too much," though. I think that might have come later.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Yeah Apr 17, 2020

MollyRose wrote:

I hated that word, "groovy," but some people in the '60s and '70s used it a lot, along with "far out, man!" and "cool!" I don't remember so much "too much," though. I think that might have come later.

Yeah - "groovy" was uncool. Only straights said it.

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 11:52
French to English
. Apr 17, 2020

I remember an American shouting at a poor photocopying machine to "get real, man!". When she saw my quizzical look she apologised for using such a "70s hippie expression" - the fact that she was talking to a machine that couldn't fill itself with paper being perfectly normal, of course.

Zibow Retailleau

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Talking to machines Apr 17, 2020

Kay Denney wrote:

I remember an American shouting at a poor photocopying machine to "get real, man!". When she saw my quizzical look she apologised for using such a "70s hippie expression" - the fact that she was talking to a machine that couldn't fill itself with paper being perfectly normal, of course.

This reminds me of former French colleague when I worked as a developer with the SNCF in Paris. He was on the phone with a female colleague in an application planning group and was having some trouble with his computer. Then suddenly he exclaimed 'stupid animal'. He was quickly prompted to explain himself and had to reassure her that he was talking to his computer. Unfortunately I don't remember if the incident reached management level.

Kay Denney

MollyRose
MollyRose  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:52
English to Spanish
+ ...
Tom, not in the U.S. Apr 17, 2020

I have always been "straight" and never said groovy. It was the hippies who mostly said it, and others who smoked and did things they shouldn't. But that isn't why i didn't like the word; it just seemed weird. I also didn't say "Cool." Some of my words have been: wow, neat, neat-oh, and man. But the latter only in a context such as, "Man, don't they know any better?"

"Weird" is another word that has been used to mean more than the dictionary definition.

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Awesome Apr 17, 2020

Is it too late to mention the hyper-annoying "awesome"? Well, it's hyper-annoying to me, anyway. In fact, I can feel a curious rage rising up inside me already just looking at it or writing it. I don't think it's a product of the 60/70s, though, but it sounds like it should have been.

I have no quarrel with the word when it's used to mean what it means, but I do get riled when I hear the like of the following:

Do you have any such-and-such?
Yes, here you are, th
... See more
Is it too late to mention the hyper-annoying "awesome"? Well, it's hyper-annoying to me, anyway. In fact, I can feel a curious rage rising up inside me already just looking at it or writing it. I don't think it's a product of the 60/70s, though, but it sounds like it should have been.

I have no quarrel with the word when it's used to mean what it means, but I do get riled when I hear the like of the following:

Do you have any such-and-such?
Yes, here you are, that'll be twenty dollars.
Awesome, thanks!

Can you give me a lift to work?
Yes, I can. Jump in.
That's awesome!

Is it OK if we have toast and marmalade for breakfast?
Awesome, sure.
Collapse

Thomas T. Frost
MollyRose
Zibow Retailleau

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
On the other hand ... Apr 17, 2020

... something along the same lines, i.e. using a hugely disproportionate adjective to describe distinctly run-of-the-mill concepts, which I admit hadn't struck me until now, is the English-speaking habit of saying "Great!". In Ireland they ratchet it up a notch further and say "Grand!":

Do you fancy a beer?
Great!

I've finished that job.
That's great!

So, how are you?
I'm grand!

But I still hate "awesome". Look,
... See more
... something along the same lines, i.e. using a hugely disproportionate adjective to describe distinctly run-of-the-mill concepts, which I admit hadn't struck me until now, is the English-speaking habit of saying "Great!". In Ireland they ratchet it up a notch further and say "Grand!":

Do you fancy a beer?
Great!

I've finished that job.
That's great!

So, how are you?
I'm grand!

But I still hate "awesome". Look, I wrote it again. That's it, somebody's gonna get their head kicked in tonight. Oh, I forgot, can't go out. But I have the next best thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8hDw6mS2pI
Collapse

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
What would be too much... Apr 17, 2020

... would be for Tom to post a groovy pic of himself from the 60s in his far-out kaftan calling out all the straights.

That would be most awesome. It would also be lush, peng and totally sick.

Thomas T. Frost
Zibow Retailleau
Robert Carter
expressisverbis

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Coronavirus is wrecking the English language

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »