Thread poster: Marcel Gomez
Marcel Gomez
Marcel Gomez  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 04:53
Japanese to Spanish
+ ...
Sep 19, 2017

I would like to tell you about an interesting experience, and possibly get in touch with someone who has had the same type of experience.

I am a JapaneseEnglish translator and started full-time translation in 2011.

One day during my first months of full-time freelancing, I got a close deadline. It was the last day; I was running against the clock; and I also had to run to the airport immediately after finishing the project. My eyes were rushing through the text. I was m
... See more
I would like to tell you about an interesting experience, and possibly get in touch with someone who has had the same type of experience.

I am a JapaneseEnglish translator and started full-time translation in 2011.

One day during my first months of full-time freelancing, I got a close deadline. It was the last day; I was running against the clock; and I also had to run to the airport immediately after finishing the project. My eyes were rushing through the text. I was moving my eyes so fast and so constantly that I ended up causing myself a terrible dizziness. The feeling can be described as the type of vision you get when you are drunk, or when you see things with your least trained eye. There was no blur or headache, just a terrible dizziness.

To my surprise, it lingered for over 3 days! At the beginning I felt cool. "I am a translator so, these are the nuisances a translator has to cope with", I thought. On the third day I started to feel worried, but fortunately it had disappeared by the morning of the fourth day.

In the following years, I repeated the same experience about once a year, but it never got as intense or lasted as long.

Now for the past 2 or 3 weeks (September 2017), however, I have been suffering mild and short-lasting headaches and dizziness. But unlike in the past, these are very recurrent, almost daily! And I have noticed that it happens more easily when translating from English to Japanese than the other way around (note that I am not a Japanese native speaker). These days I cannot translate English to Japanese for more than 6 hours without feeling the mild headache and dizziness.

I am worried because I don't have academic records in any other studies.

Have you ever got or heard about the long-lasting dizziness?
Have you ever got or heard about the recurrent dizziness when translating to a particular language?
Collapse

Jacek Sierakowski
Jacek Sierakowski
Belgium
Local time: 10:53
English to French
+ ...
Look for medical care Sep 19, 2017

Hi,

I think this has nothing to do with translating nor any language pair. Possibly with stress and fatigue. You should see a doctor.

Best wishes.

Jacek Sierakowski, MD.

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:53
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Consult a doctor Sep 19, 2017

I haven't experienced the dizziness and headaches you describe as a result of translating - but I don't do Japanese.
I doubt it has anything to do with Japanese.
As you've been having these symptoms for several months I think you should certainly consult a doctor and/or optician without delay.
Wishing you well,
Jenny

Rebecca Hendry
Rebecca Hendry  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:53
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Seek medical advice Sep 19, 2017

Dear Marcel,

I agree with Jacek, you should talk to a doctor.

Stress can make you feel very unwell. I know that when I'm busy my head tends to feel very 'fuzzy' by the end of a day in front of a computer screen. Perhaps when you're working very hard you aren't eating well or keeping hydrated. Perhaps you need glasses. Either way, dizziness like this isn't normal, even for stressed-out translators!

I hope you feel better soon,

Becky.

Maija Cirule
Maija Cirule  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 11:53
German to English
+ ...
Hello Marcel Sep 19, 2017

maybe you are working with your computer too much without any pausing or stopping? Try to google some eye health tips such as See more
maybe you are working with your computer too much without any pausing or stopping? Try to google some eye health tips such as https://www.google.lv/search?biw=1648&bih=1011&q=eye%20hygiene&oq=eye%20hygiene&gs_l=psy-ab.1.0.0l4.70503.83129.0.87183.11.11.0.0.0.0.164.1117.7j4.11.0....0...1.1.64.psy-ab..0.11.1112...46j0i46k1j0i46i67k1j46i67k1j0i67k1.0.Y3RLvJVM5P4 and zillion of other sites and follow them for some time including eye exercises (palming is very effective and useful). If nothing changes, you should consult an oculist, maybe you need glasses as dizziness and mild headaches may be caused by short-sightedness or some other condition that needs correction.

Good luck to you!

[Edited at 2017-09-19 10:20 GMT]
Collapse

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
French to English
Not specific Sep 19, 2017

What you describe cannot be specific to translation, even less so to a particular language. it probably has more to do with:
- spending long periods of time in front of a computer screen without taking a break
- stress related to a looming deadline
- stress from intense concentration (without a break)
- need for corrective glasses?

Perhaps a combination of all, or more. I agree with colleagues. Probably best to see a doctor and/or an ophtalmologist.

Fabrizio Zambuto
Fabrizio Zambuto  Identity Verified
Chinese to Italian
+ ...
I had a similar effect Sep 21, 2017

It actually lasted longer than 3 days, in my case. And strong tension on one side of my face, unability to focus on the screen.
I think it's due to overexposure to the computer, among the other things. I don't translate from Japanese but from Chinese, we share a similar "visual" problem.

I saw a doctor but he proved useless. Won't further elaborate on this.
My suggestion, if and when you can, take few days off the screen, off the internet, everything. Give your brain a
... See more
It actually lasted longer than 3 days, in my case. And strong tension on one side of my face, unability to focus on the screen.
I think it's due to overexposure to the computer, among the other things. I don't translate from Japanese but from Chinese, we share a similar "visual" problem.

I saw a doctor but he proved useless. Won't further elaborate on this.
My suggestion, if and when you can, take few days off the screen, off the internet, everything. Give your brain and eyes some time off.
That's what I did, it helped me.
Collapse

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
agree with everyone! Sep 21, 2017

I had my first migraine because of stress when my boss made me do a huge translation for accounting software despite knowing nothing of accounting and having plenty of other stuff on my plate.
My lovely doctor gave me acupuncture and told me to try yoga and various other stuff such as eye exercises...
Years later, she was looking back in my records for something and commented that I had had just that one episode and no more. I smiled and told her I had started yoga again and regular
... See more
I had my first migraine because of stress when my boss made me do a huge translation for accounting software despite knowing nothing of accounting and having plenty of other stuff on my plate.
My lovely doctor gave me acupuncture and told me to try yoga and various other stuff such as eye exercises...
Years later, she was looking back in my records for something and commented that I had had just that one episode and no more. I smiled and told her I had started yoga again and regularly do the eye exercises just like she told me. Her reaction was like a Tex Avery cartoon, with her mouth hanging wide open and eyes popping out. First time she'd ever seen a patient take her advice so literally!
Collapse

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Only dangerous ... Sep 21, 2017

... if the pilot continues to fly in those circumstances.

Seriously, though, as everyone implies and Fabrizio says, just go off the radar for a day or two if you can.

Maija Cirule
Maija Cirule  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 11:53
German to English
+ ...
Marcel, if you are still reading comments Sep 21, 2017

I would like to recommend to you the following URL:https://www.earthclinic.com/search.php?cx=partner-pub-2476760853251960:e2s0aw4vhqg&cof=FORID:10&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=EYE%20health&sa=
Tons of very helpful information and suggestions.
Good luck

Marcel Gomez
Marcel Gomez  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 04:53
Japanese to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Update Sep 21, 2017

I have been working out regularly for the past year, sometimes swimming, bicycling, and more often, mild weightlifting.

Interesting enough, I have noticed recently that weightlifting seems to trigger or exacerbate dizziness as well.

Now I am starting to think that it may be related to optical nerves rather than to eyes themselves. I will research about it.

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR ADVICE AND FEEDBACK

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
French to English
Could be anything Sep 21, 2017

Marcel Gomez wrote:

I have been working out regularly for the past year, sometimes swimming, bicycling, and more often, mild weightlifting.

Interesting enough, I have noticed recently that weightlifting seems to trigger or exacerbate dizziness as well.

Now I am starting to think that it may be related to optical nerves rather than to eyes themselves. I will research about it.

When I need my car fixed, I take it to the garage. It might mean a couple of visits, or even a change of garage, but I go and see the person whose job it is. When you suspect a medical problem, a doctor is in the best position to advise. You may not get a miracle answer, but your family doctor is a good place to start.

"Doctor internet" can be helpful, but can also be of little use. We all do it; I do too. But if I have some medical concern, then I make an appointment with my doctor for an objective professional view.

Japanese, weightlifting, who knows? Correlation? Causation? Coincidence? Make an appointment with your doctor.

[Edited at 2017-09-21 15:13 GMT]

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:53
English to Spanish
+ ...
Do you warm up before lifting weighs? Sep 26, 2017

Marcel Gomez wrote:

To the many pieces of good advice, here's one from experience with weight lifting: learn proper techniques to lift weighs (get a personal trainer who knows what he's doing). But most importantly, you need to do a serious warm-up before lifting weighs or engaging in any strenuous activity. Without that, you'll get headaches and dizzy spells (happened to me 20 years ago).

The Misha
The Misha
Local time: 05:53
Russian to English
+ ...
Dizziness can definitely jeopardize our carriers. Sep 26, 2017

Our carriers cannot carry if they are dizzy:)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can dizziness jeopardize our carriers?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »