Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Can the "Vote non-pro" box please be repositioned?
Thread poster: Tom in London
Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:57
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Dec 21, 2020

Increasingly I find myself having to reclassify really elementary questions as "non-pro".

Unfortunately when people suggest answers to these questions, their suggestions push the "Vote non-pro" box way down the page where it can't be seen - unless you specifically go looking for it.

The image below is an example of what such a question looks like immediately after it has been posted. The "Vote non-pro" box is clear to see. The question itself is very elementary; no pro
... See more
Increasingly I find myself having to reclassify really elementary questions as "non-pro".

Unfortunately when people suggest answers to these questions, their suggestions push the "Vote non-pro" box way down the page where it can't be seen - unless you specifically go looking for it.

The image below is an example of what such a question looks like immediately after it has been posted. The "Vote non-pro" box is clear to see. The question itself is very elementary; no professional translator should ever need to ask such a question. The asker is clearly out of their depth.

But as soon as two or three people have made suggestions and/or made discussion entries, the "Vote non-pro" box disappears out of sight. So my request is:

Please reposition the "Vote non-pro" box so that it stays fixed immediately below the original question. Shouldn't be too hard to do!

Screen Shot 1

[Edited at 2020-12-21 12:44 GMT]
Collapse

abdelkader jbira (X)
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
expressisverbis
P.L.F. Persio
Yolanda Broad
Jessica Noyes
Susanna Martoni

Arabic & More
Arabic & More  Identity Verified
Jordan
Arabic to English
+ ...
Non-pro? Dec 21, 2020

I don't really understand the rush to classify certain questions as "non-pro." Sometimes the translator may understand the words themselves but is questioning whether they are fully appropriate for the context. For example, "graphic and communication design" sounds more like a field of study than how a graphic designer might be credited at the beginning of a book...so it may be that she is asking whether this is ever done. To me, that seems like a reasonable question and shows that the asker car... See more
I don't really understand the rush to classify certain questions as "non-pro." Sometimes the translator may understand the words themselves but is questioning whether they are fully appropriate for the context. For example, "graphic and communication design" sounds more like a field of study than how a graphic designer might be credited at the beginning of a book...so it may be that she is asking whether this is ever done. To me, that seems like a reasonable question and shows that the asker cares about these nuances. However, the question should also be more specific. It is in the front matter of the book, but in what context/format?Collapse

Marina Taffetani
Marina Taffetani  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 11:57
Member (2013)
German to Italian
+ ...
New interface Dec 21, 2020

Not only that, Tom - if you have a look at the new KudoZ interface, you will notice there is no such option at all. I always use the new interface, and I honestly had no idea what some people were talking about when they mentioned the "Vote non-pro" button. I had to switch to the old interface in order to find out.

@Arabic & More, actually, I think this is a very important option, and it should be used more often. I had to filter some askers who kept asking questions even a six-year
... See more
Not only that, Tom - if you have a look at the new KudoZ interface, you will notice there is no such option at all. I always use the new interface, and I honestly had no idea what some people were talking about when they mentioned the "Vote non-pro" button. I had to switch to the old interface in order to find out.

@Arabic & More, actually, I think this is a very important option, and it should be used more often. I had to filter some askers who kept asking questions even a six-year-old could have answered.
Collapse

Angie Garbarino

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Nah Dec 21, 2020

Tempting as it is, the non-pro button is not actually there to express disgust at others' ignorance.

philgoddard
Sandra & Kenneth Grossman

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Naturally. Dec 21, 2020

Chris S wrote:

Tempting as it is, the non-pro button is not actually there to express disgust at others' ignorance.

That is certainly not the purpose of the non-pro button and I am quite sure that is not why Proz.com offers it as an option. I'm glad we agree.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
I tried Dec 21, 2020

Marina Taffetani wrote:

@Arabic & More, actually, I think this is a very important option, and it should be used more often. I had to filter some askers who kept asking questions even a six-year-old could have answered.

I did try to find the new interface but didn't succeed. So I have no idea what it looks like !

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Rush? Dec 21, 2020

Arabic & More wrote:

I don't really understand the rush to classify certain questions as "non-pro."

I hadn't noticed that there was a rush.

Angie Garbarino
writeaway

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Top of page Dec 21, 2020

Tom in London wrote:

Marina Taffetani wrote:

I did try to find the new interface but didn't succeed. So I have no idea what it looks like !

Click the "try new version" text at the top of the page in KudoZ, highlighted in a lovely shade of apricot

Mervyn Henderson (X)

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
In that case... Dec 21, 2020

Tom in London wrote:
That is certainly not the purpose of the non-pro button

So why do you need ready access to it?

philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
I don't think this is an issue Dec 21, 2020

I've never found the Vote Non Pro button difficult to locate.

Robert Forstag
Michele Fauble
Nikki Scott-Despaigne

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Because Dec 21, 2020

Chris S wrote:

Tom in London wrote:

Because it has another purpose. If you don't understand what the purpose is, please say so.

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Do enlighten me Dec 21, 2020

Tom in London wrote:

Chris S wrote:

Tom in London wrote:

Because it has another purpose. If you don't understand what the purpose is, please say so.

No, I don’t know what you think the purpose is.

Mervyn Henderson (X)

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
So Dec 22, 2020

Chris S wrote:

Tom in London wrote:

Chris S wrote:

Tom in London wrote:

No, I don’t know what you think the purpose is.

So what you think Proz,com intends its purpose to be?

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 11:57
Spanish to English
+ ...
Talking at ... Dec 22, 2020

... cross purposes?

Christopher Schröder
Josephine Cassar

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Go on, spill the beans! Dec 22, 2020

Tom in London wrote:
So what you think Proz,com intends its purpose to be? [sic]

I'm not entirely sure to be honest, especially after reading the FAQ, which is why I'm hoping you might tell me.

But I didn't see "a translator being out of their depth" as a reason for a question to be classified as non-pro. It seems mostly aimed at people who fell in love with a local on their hols.

Mervyn Henderson (X)

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can the "Vote non-pro" box please be repositioned?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »