Projects for the remote-able translator
Thread poster: Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:31
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jan 12, 2018

Not long ago I read an article about two translators running an experiment with a gig economy website (Fiverr) to gauge the actual costs of translation for a translation buyer. Very well done, an eye opener for many, based on the comments I've read.

I recently received an email invitation from an interpreter I don't know (with a LinkedIn profile) inviting me to sign up for remote.com

Digging for more information (after deleting this email), I found out that remote.com i
... See more
Not long ago I read an article about two translators running an experiment with a gig economy website (Fiverr) to gauge the actual costs of translation for a translation buyer. Very well done, an eye opener for many, based on the comments I've read.

I recently received an email invitation from an interpreter I don't know (with a LinkedIn profile) inviting me to sign up for remote.com

Digging for more information (after deleting this email), I found out that remote.com is the reincarnation of outsource.com. Go figure. The online reviews I've read about them aren't flattering.

Then I learned about other site for freelancers of every stripe to market their services (that's why I am posting this under Marketing for translators): upwork.com

In the latter site, I found out that many technical translators offer services in a wide range of hourly rates. Take a look and share what you think, if you want.
Collapse

Graeme Walle (X)
Graeme Walle (X)  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 13:31
Finnish to English
+ ...
No thanks Jan 12, 2018

They invoice you for 20% of the first $500 that you charge a client through their system. After reading that, I did not investigate any further.

Source: https://www.upwork.com/i/how-it-works/freelancer/

[Edited at 2018-01-12 16:13 GMT]

Daniel Frisano
Daniel Frisano  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 12:31
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
Freedom! Jan 12, 2018

Anybody is free to buy their clothes at a street market, department store or high-end boutique. If you are Giorgio Armani, you're not bothered by street vendors.

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 11:31
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
So what's new Jan 12, 2018

These sites have been around for ages and of us ignore them most, if not all, of the time. I just loaded the Remote one and it was clear from the very first second that it was a wast of time. Right there in front of my eyes were the headings:
Employers

Job seekers

Enough said! Clearly not for self-employed freelance translators!

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 12:31
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Mario Jan 12, 2018

Mario Chavez wrote:

It costs money to join remote.com, but you can get some of your money back by referring other victims.

Then I learned about other site for freelancers of every stripe to market their services (that's why I am posting this under Marketing for translators): upwork.com

I could not find the sign-up page for freelancers anywhere on their home page, but thankfully Graeme found the link (see his post). Unlike remove.com/outsource.com, there is no monthly fee, but the site receives commission on the money that you get paid. It's 20%, which is quite high, but nothing prevents you from signing up with a rate that is 20% higher than your usual rate.

I was surprised at the range of hourly rates offered by translators -- some of them have quite high rates and yet seem to get clients anyway.

Artem Vakhitov
Artem Vakhitov  Identity Verified
Kyrgyzstan
English to Russian
+ ...
Can you post a link to the article? Jan 12, 2018

Mario Chavez wrote:

Mario, can you post a link to the article?

Mario Chavez (X)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Here's the article Jan 13, 2018

Artem Vakhitov wrote:

Mario Chavez wrote:

Mario, can you post a link to the article?

Artem,

A French translator and a colleague of hers did this: https://bellingua.co.uk/2017/03/01/using-fiverr-for-translations-part1/

Mario Chavez (X)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
High hourly rates Jan 13, 2018

Samuel Murray wrote:

I was surprised at the range of hourly rates offered by translators -- some of them have quite high rates and yet seem to get clients anyway.

Same here. A couple of those translators charge $80/hour. Whoa!

I guess those might be translators just like us but who've found that Remote is an additional revenue stream, just not their main one.

LEXpert
LEXpert  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:31
Member (2008)
Croatian to English
+ ...
@Daniel: Unless they are selling cheap, knock-off 'Armanis' Jan 14, 2018

Daniel Frisano wrote:

Anybody is free to buy their clothes at a street market, department store or high-end boutique. If you are Giorgio Armani, you're not bothered by street vendors.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Projects for the remote-able translator

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »