Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >
Marketing without sharing space with low bidders and job posters
Thread poster: Bernhard Sulzer
Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Empty post.
IrinaN
IrinaN
United States
Local time: 06:40
English to Russian
+ ...
Ridiculous fees? Mar 10, 2020

Bernhard,

Obviously, you are an adamant advocate of proper remuneration for quality products, no exceptions. I respect your position.

However, let's imagine for a moment that the translators' paradise you describe was possible.

Do you really expect the creators to invest their time, talent and funds for site promotion on a pro bono basis? Or would you rather arm yourself with a magnifying glass to search for job offers in an avalanche of ads, since the onl
... See more
Bernhard,

Obviously, you are an adamant advocate of proper remuneration for quality products, no exceptions. I respect your position.

However, let's imagine for a moment that the translators' paradise you describe was possible.

Do you really expect the creators to invest their time, talent and funds for site promotion on a pro bono basis? Or would you rather arm yourself with a magnifying glass to search for job offers in an avalanche of ads, since the only source of income for them would be pay-per-clicks?

If such site was possible, legal and productive, the fees should be much higher than a meager 130/year or whatever that Proz collects.
Collapse

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
What I don’t get is... Mar 10, 2020

... why a good translator would feel a need to be on some such elite job board.

Surely, if you’re good, you won’t need to be drumming up business constantly, as you’ll be too busy with repeat business, no?

Michele Fauble
Philip Lees
Darius Sciuka
P.L.F. Persio
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Christine Andersen

Bernhard Sulzer
Bernhard Sulzer  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:40
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Different environment Mar 10, 2020

Chris S wrote:

... why a good translator would feel a need to be on some such elite job board.

Surely, if you’re good, you won’t need to be drumming up business constantly, as you’ll be too busy with repeat business, no?

I am just pointing out what I am uncomfortable with and why. I did explain that.
I was also just suggesting a way I would like to advertise. I would be more comfortable in a different environment. Especially if it works for me.
PS: I do need to drum up business. I always had to. I understand that experiences can be different.

[Edited at 2020-03-10 22:42 GMT]

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Alternative platform Mar 11, 2020

Another platform I'd like to suggest is called "Direct clients".

No bidding system, no fees, less competition, but there is some active marketing/convincing effort needed. And you must deliver the goods.

So, why wait for this hypothetic, imaginary platform of yours to be built when "Direct clients" is up for grabs?

It can be combined with another platform, where you can advertise your services away from lowballers. It's called "Professional website", but I
... See more

No bidding system, no fees, less competition, but there is some active marketing/convincing effort needed. And you must deliver the goods.

So, why wait for this hypothetic, imaginary platform of yours to be built when "Direct clients" is up for grabs?

It can be combined with another platform, where you can advertise your services away from lowballers. It's called "Professional website", but I see you are already covered.
Collapse

Christopher Schröder
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Kay Denney

Katalin Szilárd
Katalin Szilárd  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 12:40
English to Hungarian
+ ...
A new world wide web: a good one Mar 11, 2020

Jean Dimitriadis wrote:

It can be combined with another platform, where you can advertise your services away from lowballers. It's called "Professional website", but I see you are already covered.

When it comes to websites, then Google is essential at the moment. Maybe not forever...

And if you check which companies are partners with whom, then you will see that you are "stuck" ->
ever-feel-stuck-in-a-rut-going-in-circles-54821

It is not a coincidence that you can log on with your Google, LinkedIn and Facebook to Proz...
I wrote this a few years ago that this is a big NO, maybe 1 person understood what I was telling...

And your google (not when you are logged in, but the country where you are at) can decide which results are shown... I have seen that some US websites are not available in Europe, maybe your European website won't be shown in the US either...

Maybe a totally new world wide web should be created.
For good people and fair professional businesses.

[Edited at 2020-03-11 09:16 GMT]

Thayenga

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Marketing without sharing space with low bidders and job posters

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »