Thread poster: Renvi Ulrich
Renvi Ulrich
Renvi Ulrich  Identity Verified
Cameroon
Local time: 15:31
English to French
SITE LOCALIZER
Oct 13, 2020

The video greeting option added on proz.com got me to do some research about video resumes. According to Vault Inc.'s annual employer survey, "89% of employers revealed that they would watch a video resume if it were submitted to them".

This fact motivated me to invest time and energy into producing my animated 1min video resume. Link here: https://youtu.be/PHI1Kdu7VKk

Any comment o
... See more
The video greeting option added on proz.com got me to do some research about video resumes. According to Vault Inc.'s annual employer survey, "89% of employers revealed that they would watch a video resume if it were submitted to them".

This fact motivated me to invest time and energy into producing my animated 1min video resume. Link here: https://youtu.be/PHI1Kdu7VKk

Any comment on how I can improve this video? Do you think a video CV is even worth the effort in the first place?

Your answers will be very helpful.

Thanks,
Renvi
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:31
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Lose the music Oct 13, 2020

Renvi Ulrich wrote:

Any comment on how I can improve this video? Do you think a video CV is even worth the effort in the first place?

Your answers will be very helpful.

Thanks,
Renvi

My suggestion would be to, instead, make a YouTube video, lose the music ,and create a dynamic, likeable presentation of yourself, talking, really describing what you do. Something that's fun to watch.

I personally dislike presentations with music chosen by whoever made them. It's never the kind of music I like hearing and it distracts me from the presentation.

[Edited at 2020-10-13 14:52 GMT]

Christine Andersen
Yaotl Altan

Renvi Ulrich
Cameroon
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
Thank you, Tom Oct 13, 2020

I agree with the fact that talking to the camera is a much warmer approach. The challenge is that Image, sound and lighting have to be spotless. I take good note of your insightful suggestion about the music as well.

Tom in London wrote:

My suggestion would be to, instead, make a YouTube video, lose the music ,and create a dynamic, likeable presentation of yourself, talking, really describing what you do. Something that's fun to watch.

I personally dislike presentations with music chosen by whoever made them. It's never the kind of music I like hearing and it distracts me from the presentation.

[Edited at 2020-10-13 14:52 GMT]

Dylan J Hartmann
Dylan J Hartmann  Identity Verified
Australia
Member (2014)
Thai to English
+ ...

Use of end-client's logos/names Oct 13, 2020

We should be very careful when using end-clients names/logos when advertising ourselves.
I'm assuming you did not work with them as direct clients, but I may be wrong. Often the NDAs we sign with agencies (many of who you've mentioned on that video) would prevent us from using the client's name in such a manner.
You might want to use at your own risk.

Eric Azevedo
Josephine Cassar
Joe France
Isabelle Pelchat
expressisverbis
Laurent Di Raimondo
Mohamad Alayoubi

Renvi Ulrich
Cameroon
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
Oct 14, 2020

[Edited at 2020-10-14 07:22 GMT]

Renvi Ulrich
Cameroon
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
Good point Oct 14, 2020

Thank you, Dylan. I totally agree with you on that. I carefully reviewed all the NDAs before producing the video, and made sure one cannot tell from the video, which end-client works for who. I like this approach because many agencies contacted me with a project for a brand I already worked for or one in a similar field, thanks to what they saw on my page.

Dylan Jan Hartmann wrote:

We should be very careful when using end-clients names/logos when advertising ourselves.
I'm assuming you did not work with them as direct clients, but I may be wrong. Often the NDAs we sign with agencies (many of who you've mentioned on that video) would prevent us from using the client's name in such a manner.
You might want to use at your own risk.

[Edited at 2020-10-14 07:23 GMT]

Nurettin Ceylan
Nurettin Ceylan  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 17:31
Member (2009)
English to Turkish
Your profile page is your CV. Oct 14, 2020

I have been rarely asked for a CV or Resume. My profile page usually does the job perfectly.

Yaotl Altan

Yaotl Altan
Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 08:31
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Don't think so. Aug 25, 2021

I think eyes receive and process more information by reading a CV than a CV video.

No problem with your video, it's nice.

expressisverbis
Laurent Di Raimondo

Laurent Di Raimondo
Laurent Di Raimondo  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Well done but for what interest? Aug 26, 2021

Yaotl Altan wrote:

I think eyes receive and process more information by reading a CV than a CV video.

No problem with your video, it's nice.

I do share Yaotl's opinion. Although your video resume looks pretty lively, I wonder what such a CV video could bring more than a CV document or your own bio featured by your ProZ profile, which looks yet comprehensive.

In my humble opinion, the only interest for any potential client when watching your video profile would be rather having a quick look on your daily working environment or, better than that, watching you face to face speaking both in your native and target languages, probably to better test your skills.

But I'm not sure even such a tool would be of any interest for a translator, whose skills mainly depend on his ability to translate written documents only, particularly on high-level technical fields, rather than addressing clients as an interpreter would.

That said, I hail your rather innovative initiative. Well done!

expressisverbis

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is it Worth Having a Video Resume (CV)?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »