Thread poster: Tatiana Shcherbachenko
Tatiana Shcherbachenko
Tatiana Shcherbachenko  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 02:36
English to Russian
+ ...
Dec 23, 2015

Dear colleagues! Could you please help understand the meaning of the part in bold.

In addition to the above, exploratory analyses will be performed to evaluate risk reduction as it relates to changes or actual lipid and hsCRP values while subjects are on randomized treatment and to explore potential treatment effects beyond those attributable to changes in lipid levels.

General context: a trial evaluating the efficacy of a drug in reducing CV morbidity and mortal
... See more
Dear colleagues! Could you please help understand the meaning of the part in bold.

In addition to the above, exploratory analyses will be performed to evaluate risk reduction as it relates to changes or actual lipid and hsCRP values while subjects are on randomized treatment and to explore potential treatment effects beyond those attributable to changes in lipid levels.

General context: a trial evaluating the efficacy of a drug in reducing CV morbidity and mortality.
"the above" refers to analyses of lipid and hsCPR levels, which is also an exploratory objective.

What I don't quite understand is how to divide it correctly into word phrases - [as] [it relates to] OR [as it relates to].
... analyses will be performed to evaluate risk reduction BECAUSE it (risk reduction) relates to changes ... or values
OR analyses will be performed to evaluate risk reduction TO SUCH AN EXTENT THAT it relates to changes ... or values

I'll be really gratefull for all your help.
Collapse

PLR TRADUZIO (X)
PLR TRADUZIO (X)  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 00:36
English to French
+ ...
My 2 cents Dec 23, 2015

Actually I'm pretty much sure that you should understand "because".
Good luck

Michael Barnett
Michael Barnett
Local time: 19:36
English
+ ...
Jupiter Trial Dec 23, 2015

In 2008 the Jupiter trial evaluated the effect of rosuvastatin in reducing the risk of cardiovascular events.

Up till then, it was known that statin medications, used to lower cholesterol, reduced the incidence of coronary events to an extent in excess of that which could have been predicted by the reduction of cholesterol alone. The theory was that statin medications reduced endothelial inflammation thereby further reducing coronary events.

The protein hsCRP is relate
... See more
In 2008 the Jupiter trial evaluated the effect of rosuvastatin in reducing the risk of cardiovascular events.

Up till then, it was known that statin medications, used to lower cholesterol, reduced the incidence of coronary events to an extent in excess of that which could have been predicted by the reduction of cholesterol alone. The theory was that statin medications reduced endothelial inflammation thereby further reducing coronary events.

The protein hsCRP is related to endothelial inflammation. It was known to be an independent risk factor for coronary artery disease.

In the Jupiter trial, 17,000 patients with elevated hsCRP but normal to low cholesterol were treated with rosuvastatin versus a placebo. The trial was terminated ahead of schedule because the ethics committee concluded that it would be wrong to prolong the study as the rosuvastatin patients were suffering far fewer heart attacks, strokes and sudden death than the placebo group.

There are many risk factors for heart disease. The study addressed cholesterol and hsCRP as two of the many risk factors.

The article is well understood as written.

Michael
Collapse

Philip Lees
Philip Lees  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 01:36
Greek to English
Clumsy phrasing Dec 24, 2015

Tatiana Shcherbachenko wrote:

risk reduction as it relates to changes or actual lipid and hsCRP values

The text is rather clumsily phrased and I can understand your confusion. The intended meaning (I think) is along the lines of:

risk reduction as expressed by measured levels of lipids and hsCRP or by changes in those levels

Dani Karuniawan
Dani Karuniawan  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 06:36
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Simpler expression Dec 24, 2015

...exploratory analyses will be performed to evaluate risk reduction as it relates to....

...потому что этот относится к....

Word "it" refers to previously-mentioned analysis (этот анализ), whereas word "as" implies causal relationship between first and second clauses.

[Edited at 2015-12-24 14:26 GMT]

Tatiana Shcherbachenko
Russian Federation
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Dec 24, 2015

Thanks to all. My English-speaking friend and tutor says he sees it as "in terms of how it relates to".
All other opinions are welcome!

Katja Dienemann
Katja Dienemann  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 00:36
English to German
+ ...
Focusing on one specific aspect of risk reduction Dec 25, 2015

According to my logic, it is being said, that risk reduction REGARDING changes... will be analysed. (i.e. not regarding changes in other risk factors), so the following "guess" should be correct:

analyses will be performed to evaluate risk reduction TO SUCH AN EXTENT THAT it relates to changes ... or values

Curious to get to know the final client-approved result.

Best,
Katja

Profes
Profes
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Medical Dec 25, 2015

as relates to means 'which refers to'

Tatiana Shcherbachenko
Russian Federation
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Update Dec 25, 2015

The client is a Russian company. However, here is an opinion of another very experienced English-Russian translator and editor, native English speaker: " it will study risk reduction caused by or associated with or correlated to the values of those two parameters".
So, I chose this meaning, which is close to some mentioned above.
Again, thanks for all your help.

Kaspars Melkis
Kaspars Melkis  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:36
English to Latvian
+ ...
typo? Dec 29, 2015

I think it is clearly a typo. It should be "of actual lipid and hsCRP values" not "or".

In addition to the above, exploratory analyses will be performed to evaluate risk reduction as it relates to changes of actual lipid and hsCRP values while subjects are on randomized treatment and to explore potential treatment effects beyond those attributable to changes in lipid levels.

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:36
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
It just means "in terms of" Dec 29, 2015

I think they meant "in terms of" by saying "as it relates to". If you replace the latter with the former, it will make perfect sense.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Natalie[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Clinical trial: risk reduction

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »