John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 08:14
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Dec 2, 2020

When running a QA check in MemoQ I get dozens, sometimes hundreds, of QA warnings "Extra term 'someword' in target segment". The QA check chooses some word in the target segment to flag as an "extra term", but it's not clear how it determines what constitutes an "extra term". As is, the warnings are all incorrect.

I have been unable to find where the setting is that controls this warning. The QA Settings in the Resource Console doesn't have a setting that I can find that would relat
... See more
When running a QA check in MemoQ I get dozens, sometimes hundreds, of QA warnings "Extra term 'someword' in target segment". The QA check chooses some word in the target segment to flag as an "extra term", but it's not clear how it determines what constitutes an "extra term". As is, the warnings are all incorrect.

I have been unable to find where the setting is that controls this warning. The QA Settings in the Resource Console doesn't have a setting that I can find that would relate to this warning.

I would like to either use this feature properly or turn it off. Can someone point me to the correct settings?
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 13:14
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Both ways is the wrong way... Dec 2, 2020

I think you might have Both ways selected in the QA settings and you want to use Source to target only. I hope this helps!
Captura de pantalla 2020-12-02 165817

[Edited at 2020-12-02 16:01 GMT]

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 08:14
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
"Both ways" for terminology check Dec 2, 2020

Thanks for the pointer. I didn't have "Check for consistent use of non-translatables" turned on, but I noticed from your screenshot that you have "Source to target" turned on for "Check for consistent use of terminology", and this turns out to be the problem - I had "Both ways" checked.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 13:14
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Great! Dec 2, 2020

John Fossey wrote:
...I noticed from your screenshot that you have "Source to target" turned on for "Check for consistent use of terminology", and this turns out to be the problem - I had "Both ways" checked.

Yes, I had this problem in the past and it did ring a bell. I am glad this solved it!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Use or turn off MemoQ "Extra term...in target segment" QA function

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »