Thread poster: Wolfgang Schoene
Wolfgang Schoene
Wolfgang Schoene  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 15:07
English to German
+ ...
Dec 17, 2019

if Memsource will let us know how long it intends to carry out maintenance. It's been some time now that Memsource Cloud is offline. Hey guys, we have deadlines! (And other CAT tools, too, so maybe working online is not such a good idea...)

Vladimir Pochinov

Vladimir Pochinov
Vladimir Pochinov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 16:07
English to Russian
Online or cloud-based platforms vs desktop applications Dec 17, 2019

Wolfgang Schoene wrote:

... maybe working online is not such a good idea...)

That was exactly my reasoning behind the decision to buy a desktop version of Multitran - https://www.multitran.com/ - a widely used online dictionary, with
Time and again I come across complaints in various fora that the online version was unavailable for several hours, or even days.

And when I was using SDL Trados GroupShare to bring in several translators and editors to work on a project simultaneously, time and again someone had a technical problem trying to access the relevant file from his or her desktop SDL Trados Studio.

Daniel Williams
Daniel Williams  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:07
Member (2018)
German to English
+ ...
Can you not download Memsource editor and work offline? Dec 17, 2019

Personally I never work online in Memsource; I download the entire project, do the translation offline in Memsource Editor and then upload it. Would that solve the problem or have I misunderstood something?

[Edited at 2019-12-17 17:08 GMT]

Peter van der Hoek
Stepan Konev

Wolfgang Schoene
France
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Can you not download Memsource editor and work offline Dec 17, 2019

Daniel Williams wrote:

Personally I never work online in Memsource; I download the entire project, do the translation offline in Memsource Editor and then upload it. Would that solve the problem or have I misunderstood something?

[Edited at 2019-12-17 17:08 GMT]

Hi
I guess I could (and eventually will), but do I have access to the customer's TMs & TDs in that case? I did try Memsource Editor, but found it a bit poor on the features side. But then I'm still a newbie with Memsource.

Daniel Williams
Daniel Williams  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:07
Member (2018)
German to English
+ ...
Memsource editor seems to include most features Dec 19, 2019

As it happens I am using Memsource Editor for a big project at the moment and the latest version seems to have most of the features of the online version, including document preview and the ability to generate source and target Word files, so I don't find I have to use the online version for anything very much. You can log in to your user account in the bottom right of the editor by clicking on the little square marked 'login' (assuming the connection is working, of course) so you should also be... See more
As it happens I am using Memsource Editor for a big project at the moment and the latest version seems to have most of the features of the online version, including document preview and the ability to generate source and target Word files, so I don't find I have to use the online version for anything very much. You can log in to your user account in the bottom right of the editor by clicking on the little square marked 'login' (assuming the connection is working, of course) so you should also be able to access any TMs associated with a given project.Collapse

Wolfgang Schoene
France
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Memsource editor seems to include most features Dec 19, 2019

Daniel Williams wrote:

As it happens I am using Memsource Editor for a big project at the moment and the latest version seems to have most of the features of the online version, including document preview and the ability to generate source and target Word files, so I don't find I have to use the online version for anything very much. You can log in to your user account in the bottom right of the editor by clicking on the little square marked 'login' (assuming the connection is working, of course) so you should also be able to access any TMs associated with a given project.

Hi
I think you're right, I'm currently working using both the online and the desktop version of Memsource in parallel and the latter seems to work quite well. One thing I'm still wondering about is if I can create projects on my own from, say, a docx or xlsx or ppt file. So far I imported only mxliff files into Memsource and tend to believe that in order to create your own projects one needs the online version, too. Correct me if I'm wrong.

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

I'm wondering...

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »