MTD software to submit VAT to the HMRC (UK only)
Thread poster: Ata Arif
Ata Arif
Ata Arif  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:15
Kurdish to English
+ ...
Apr 12, 2021

Hi dear colleagues
I have used the service of an accountant so far for submitting VAT and I can see they do very little and charge me a lot, so I consider submitting it myself. My question is about the software to be used to submit your VAT to be compatible with the MTD - HMRC, is it a condition to be a paid software or does free software do the trick if it is only needed for submitting the VAT? Knowing that I am on the flat rate scheme so I do not have a lot of calculations and only use
... See more
Hi dear colleagues
I have used the service of an accountant so far for submitting VAT and I can see they do very little and charge me a lot, so I consider submitting it myself. My question is about the software to be used to submit your VAT to be compatible with the MTD - HMRC, is it a condition to be a paid software or does free software do the trick if it is only needed for submitting the VAT? Knowing that I am on the flat rate scheme so I do not have a lot of calculations and only use two to three cells in an excel sheet!
any advice about which software is preferred whether free or paid is highly appreciated.
best wishes
Collapse

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Online for free Apr 12, 2021

If it’s that simple you can submit your return online on the HMRC website.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
DON't Apr 12, 2021

Chris S wrote:

Don't believe it.

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
What? Apr 12, 2021

Tom in London wrote:

Chris S wrote:

Don't believe it.

Don’t believe what? I’ve done it myself when Sage isn’t playing ball. Log onto the HMRC site, type in the numbers, go for a beer.

https://www.gov.uk/vat-returns/send-your-return

Ata Arif
United Kingdom
Kurdish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Don't believe it, it is that simple Apr 12, 2021

Thank you for your prompt reply.
I tried that, it says:

Use your accounting software to submit a return by:

Use your accounting software to submit a return by:...................
for the period .........
also here:

From 1 April 2021 over 1 million businesses that are registered to pay VAT in the UK, must now follow the latest Making Tax Digital for VAT (MTD) rules and obligations or risk the threat of penalties for the first time.
<
... See more
Thank you for your prompt reply.
I tried that, it says:

Use your accounting software to submit a return by:

Use your accounting software to submit a return by:...................
for the period .........
also here:

From 1 April 2021 over 1 million businesses that are registered to pay VAT in the UK, must now follow the latest Making Tax Digital for VAT (MTD) rules and obligations or risk the threat of penalties for the first time.

[Edited at 2021-04-12 14:11 GMT]
Collapse

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Odd Apr 12, 2021

It explicitly gives me the option of using HMRC's free online solution if below the VAT threshold, instead of MTD software:

From April 2019 customers over the VAT threshold (£85,000) will need to submit their VAT Returns through a Making Tax Digital VAT product.

If you are below the threshold you can submit your main VAT Return using one of the following:

software from HMRC "online tax return – Value Added Tax" – HMRC has tested all the features of this service and will provide support to users through the online service helpdesk
software from a commercial software supplier that’s listed
a Making Tax Digital VAT solution

We've used Sage since 1995 without any major problems, but it is more complex than a freelancer would require.

Ata Arif

Miranda Miles (X)
Miranda Miles (X)
United States
soft Apr 26, 2021

I think would be better to use custom software development.

Ata Arif
United Kingdom
Kurdish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
soft Apr 26, 2021

Thank you, I now use software called VitalTax which looks very easy to use and affordable.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MTD software to submit VAT to the HMRC (UK only)

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »