Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65] >
Off topic: Completely frivolous thread
Thread poster: Tom in London
expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Local time: 21:10
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
"Feliz Natal" Dec 22, 2020

Matthias, and everyone: I wish you a "Feliz Natal", and cheers to health, happiness, and prosperity in 2021!
I would take this opportunity to say that I am really sorry for "certain" insults and attacks I read here yesterday.
Some people do not know how to behave in a professional context, and it is something deplorable.
In difficult times, when many of us are suffering (mainly because we have sick relatives with or without Covid-19... my old father was tested positive for thi
... See more
Matthias, and everyone: I wish you a "Feliz Natal", and cheers to health, happiness, and prosperity in 2021!
I would take this opportunity to say that I am really sorry for "certain" insults and attacks I read here yesterday.
Some people do not know how to behave in a professional context, and it is something deplorable.
In difficult times, when many of us are suffering (mainly because we have sick relatives with or without Covid-19... my old father was tested positive for this virus, although he's at home with mild symptoms), reading such barbarities is a horrible thing.
This is why I didn't want to get involved in the discussion. This is neither the time, nor the place to address harsh and bitter words.
Here's a better song in Portuguese, a dialect from Cap Vert, "After the Quarantine", a message of hope:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aa771UDhpT8
Feliz Natal! Take care my friends!

[Edited at 2020-12-22 11:40 GMT]
Collapse

Thomas T. Frost
Matthias Brombach
Zibow Retailleau
Mervyn Henderson (X)
P.L.F. Persio
Christopher Schröder
Kay Denney

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 22:10
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
That' the worst I'm afraid of these days... Dec 22, 2020

expressisverbis wrote:

(mainly because we have sick relatives with or without Covid-19)

...as I don't fear much for myself but for infecting others. May your father recover soon and well, Sandra.

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Zibow Retailleau
expressisverbis
P.L.F. Persio
Thomas T. Frost
Christopher Schröder

Zibow Retailleau
Zibow Retailleau  Identity Verified
Mauritius
Local time: 01:10
English to Chinese
+ ...
I'm very sorry to hear about your dad, Sandra Dec 22, 2020

I wish him a speedy recovery!

Mervyn Henderson (X)
expressisverbis
P.L.F. Persio
Thomas T. Frost
Christopher Schröder
Christel Zipfel

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
And me! Dec 22, 2020

And me too! It'll be all right, Exy, you'll see.

Zibow Retailleau
expressisverbis
P.L.F. Persio
Thomas T. Frost
Christel Zipfel
Matthias Brombach

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
My dearest friends, Dec 22, 2020

many thanks for your kind words, and support! He shows only cough and a bit of fever as symptoms.
Please stay safe and take good care of your family members in these times!

Zibow Retailleau
P.L.F. Persio
Thomas T. Frost
Kay Denney
Mervyn Henderson (X)
Christel Zipfel
Matthias Brombach

Sadek_A
Sadek_A  Identity Verified
English to Arabic
+ ...
..... Dec 22, 2020

I would have thought that taking care of an infected blood-relative takes precedence over reading "barbarities" and constantly digging out YouTube material, but perhaps that is the way in the (I'm going to poke you at every turn to extort an exchange from you) make-believe world! Same new old story!

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Portuguese? Dec 22, 2020

Is that really Portuguese being sung? Some of the words don't look like it to me ...

expressisverbis

Zibow Retailleau
Mauritius
English to Chinese
+ ...
Honestly!? Dec 22, 2020

Sadek_A wrote:

I would have thought that taking care of an infected blood-relative takes precedence over reading "barbarities" and constantly digging out YouTube material, but perhaps that is the way in the (I'm going to poke you at every turn to extort an exchange from you) make-believe world! Same new old story!

Who hurt you!?

Mervyn Henderson (X)
expressisverbis
Matthias Brombach
P.L.F. Persio
Kay Denney

Zibow Retailleau
Mauritius
English to Chinese
+ ...
A superman and a worm Dec 22, 2020

One night I went to a bar with my husband and his colleague. At some point, they began to talk about work. Having nothing to do, I in turn began to talk to the next table. One of the men, tacky-and-cocky-looking, started to bother me, knowing very well my husband was right there. He was bragging about something. I think it was about money. I wasn’t really listening. He went on and on and on until he arrived at a conclusion, ‘I’m a superman!’

Now, you are asking for it.
... See more
One night I went to a bar with my husband and his colleague. At some point, they began to talk about work. Having nothing to do, I in turn began to talk to the next table. One of the men, tacky-and-cocky-looking, started to bother me, knowing very well my husband was right there. He was bragging about something. I think it was about money. I wasn’t really listening. He went on and on and on until he arrived at a conclusion, ‘I’m a superman!’

I look at him with narrowed eyes and lift my pinkie up to let him know how big I think his dick is. I say, ‘You? You are nothing but a worm!’
Collapse

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Christopher Schröder
expressisverbis
Matthias Brombach
P.L.F. Persio

Sadek_A
English to Arabic
+ ...
..... Dec 22, 2020

Zibow Retailleau wrote:
Honestly!?
Who hurt you!?

I was raised not to "exchange" with married women, sorry!
Besides, I lost my cape, and my worm is hibernating 😝😂

You know what your problem is? I'm reading you like a book!
You keep trying to stress me one after the other, hoping that you will ultimately succeed in getting a violent reaction from me!

Keep trying, narrowed eyes! 😝😂

Sadek_A
English to Arabic
+ ...
Almost forgot! Dec 22, 2020

Zibow Retailleau wrote:
my husband and his colleague. man, tacky-and-cocky-looking, started to bother me, knowing very well my husband was right there

Such a gentle men those pair, indeed!

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
"Mim ká falá nada crioulo!" Dec 23, 2020

Mervyn Henderson wrote:

Is that really Portuguese being sung? Some of the words don't look like it to me ...

It's Cape Verdean Creole.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cape_Verdean_Creole
We can understand a few words in Portuguese only.
"Mim ká falá nada crioulo!" ("Eu não falo crioulo"; in English "I don't speak Creole!")

P.L.F. Persio
Mervyn Henderson (X)
Zibow Retailleau

P.L.F. Persio
P.L.F. Persio  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2010)
English to Italian
+ ...
Burn! Dec 23, 2020

Zibow Retailleau wrote:

I look at him with narrowed eyes and lift my pinkie up to let him know how big I think his dick is. I say, ‘You? You are nothing but a worm!’

Wow, Zibow, you're quite the formidable lady! Remind me never to cross you.

expressisverbis
Mervyn Henderson (X)
Zibow Retailleau
Kay Denney

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Superwoman, more like Dec 23, 2020

Can that line ever work with anyone? They might not all put him firmly in his place like Zibow did, but it can't ever be a winner, surely.

expressisverbis
P.L.F. Persio
Zibow Retailleau

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Chat-up lines Dec 23, 2020

I'm not a chat-up line kinda guy, but I did once tell a woman that I had three cocks.

To be fair, we were discussing poultry at the time.

P.L.F. Persio
expressisverbis
Zibow Retailleau
Kay Denney
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro
Christine Andersen

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Completely frivolous thread

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »