Are there any full time mum translator? How is your job survive the long summer vocation?
Thread poster: Elva Zhu
Elva Zhu
Elva Zhu
Malaysia
Local time: 01:56
English to Chinese
+ ...
Aug 25, 2020

I have two boys, one 7, the other 6. During this half-year distance learning plus summer vocation, I am losing some of my precious clients due to refusing some job offers from time to time. And that made me anxious.

I am wondering how other mums deal with it?

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Don’t panic Aug 25, 2020

I’m not a mum, for obvious reasons, but I just wanted to say that most clients are also parents and really ought to be able to cut you some slack in these difficult times. I know I would.

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Angela B

Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei  Identity Verified
Ghana
Local time: 17:56
Japanese to English
Solve it with money Aug 26, 2020

Not a mum either, but is hiring a babysitter or roping in a relative an option? It might be worth it on larger jobs. E.g. paying a sitter $200 to watch your children so you can take a job will make you $1000. Kids over 6 years old should be fine with some adult supervision.

ahartje
ahartje
Portugal
Local time: 17:56
Member (2006)
German to Portuguese
+ ...
First of all: mums and dads Aug 26, 2020

I am sure several female and male colleagues are facing the same problem.
Looking back to the time, when I had to raise my three kids all by my own (my husband died by accident and no family nearby), I remember an excellent daily organisation (3 kids in 3 different schools/kindergarten and all needed mum´s transport), combined with endless night shifts.
Hiring a babysitter has never been an option for several reasons, but back then we´ve had a normal school life, so at least for s
... See more
I am sure several female and male colleagues are facing the same problem.
Looking back to the time, when I had to raise my three kids all by my own (my husband died by accident and no family nearby), I remember an excellent daily organisation (3 kids in 3 different schools/kindergarten and all needed mum´s transport), combined with endless night shifts.
Hiring a babysitter has never been an option for several reasons, but back then we´ve had a normal school life, so at least for some hours per day I have had free hand for my job.
Collapse

Angela B
expressisverbis
Elva Zhu

Angela B
Angela B  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:56
German to English
+ ...
Tricky situation Aug 26, 2020

I know exactly how you feel – I've had three children since I started freelancing and juggling work, emails, admin, etc. with kids needing fed/cleaned/entertained/refereed has had me skirting the abyss of lunacy many a time! I used a childminder for two days a week for a year before the oldest two started school and it was the best money I ever spent. If paying for help isn't an option, maybe you could ask friends/relatives to help out, even for an hour or two? That, and the endless night shi... See more
I know exactly how you feel – I've had three children since I started freelancing and juggling work, emails, admin, etc. with kids needing fed/cleaned/entertained/refereed has had me skirting the abyss of lunacy many a time! I used a childminder for two days a week for a year before the oldest two started school and it was the best money I ever spent. If paying for help isn't an option, maybe you could ask friends/relatives to help out, even for an hour or two? That, and the endless night shifts already mentioned ... but it's amazing how productive you can be without the 'Muuuuuuuuuuum' soundtrack on loop in the background.
Obviously things have been trickier these past few months with lockdown and homeschooling and all – I've found the only way it is doable is with a clear schedule for everyone. The same goes for summer holidays (make use of all free summer clubs and all play dates offered!).
In terms of client understanding, as Chris S says, current conditions mean that pretty much everyone now realises how difficult it is to work at home and have children around so I've found that customers are more willing to negotiate deadlines than they were before. I always suggest an alternative delivery date rather than rejecting a project outright.
Good luck!
Collapse

Elva Zhu

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Are there any full time mum translator? How is your job survive the long summer vocation?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »