Discussion about Mini-contest 2012: "Yogi Berra Quotes" in English to Indonesian

This discussion belongs to ProZ.com contests - discussion of competition in specific pairs » "Discussion about Mini-contest 2012: "Yogi Berra Quotes" in English to Indonesian".
You can see the ProZ.com contests - discussion of competition in specific pairs page and participate in this discussion from there.

Alex ST
Alex ST  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 17:29
Member (2009)
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Congratulation! Nov 17, 2012

No matter what I would like to convey at this first occasion my appreciation on all efforts joining this competition.
We are happy that our locale could be provided in the 'own track' of international translation competition.
Please do receive my sincere congratulation to all participants and especially the winner.
May we one day collaborate in future projects.

Your Colleague,

b>Alex ST

tfuselier
tfuselier
Local time: 05:29
Yogi Berra's quotes . Jan 17, 2013

Yogi Berra's quotes are famous for the play of words. Most of them have just no real meaning except for it sounding funny.

Let me give an example. "When you come to a fork in the road, take it"

This is a play on the word "fork". A fork is a tool for eating. "A fork in the road" means a road that branches out (like the tines of a fork." Now, how could someone simultaneously "take" or go on all of them, one can only take one road, one can't traverse several roads/streets
... See more
Yogi Berra's quotes are famous for the play of words. Most of them have just no real meaning except for it sounding funny.

Let me give an example. "When you come to a fork in the road, take it"

This is a play on the word "fork". A fork is a tool for eating. "A fork in the road" means a road that branches out (like the tines of a fork." Now, how could someone simultaneously "take" or go on all of them, one can only take one road, one can't traverse several roads/streets at the same time.

Yogi Berra is very good at coming up with statements that make people, initially, think that there is a messge behind it, but on second thought, there is actually no meaning/message, hidden or otherwise. It is just funny. He is a genious at using, or misusing, words that have double meanings.

So, in my opinion, for Indonesian speakers to understand the funny part of the statements is to somehow succinctly explain the word fork in the statement.

Maybe it could be like this: Jike anda sampaii di suatu jalan garpu bercabang, ambilah.

So, just like in the Engish statement, one is left wondering, which is it that one should take, the "garpu" (fork), or "mengambil jalan" (take a road).
Collapse

Sri Lestari Bahagia
Sri Lestari Bahagia  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 17:29
English to Indonesian
Thank you! Jan 27, 2014

Thank you tfuselier and Alex ST for the comments and feedback
Please accept my apology for replying on these comments so late.
It was such a great experience for having the opportunity to translate Yogi Berra's quotes. He has become one of my favorite since.

Best wishes,
Sri

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Discussion about Mini-contest 2012: "Yogi Berra Quotes" in English to Indonesian

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »