United States
Local time: 13:39
Member (2008)
Croatian to English
+ ...
Allow me to add my disappointment Jul 31, 2014

Zea_Mays wrote:

Reginaldo Francisco wrote:
(...) had not payed attention to the fact that the deadline was not only July 31st, but July 31st at 12:00 BRT.

Exactly!!! I too was looking forward to submitting my meticulously polished entry, only to find out that I missed the "deadline" by two hours. I knew the deadline was July 31, but no time had been specified in the first announcements and I simply didn't have an opportunity to check back regularly.

So, ProZ staff: For future reference, when you tell us well in advance that a deadline is "July 31", we generally assume that this includes all or at least most of July 31, not a cut-off ending at some arbitrary time at mid-morning. All the more so as these are electronic submissions - it's not like there's somebody sitting in an office collecting them who needs to go home...

Now to figure out something to do with my text - hate to see my work go waste

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
Local time: 15:39
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
Short extension of deadline Jul 31, 2014

Hello all,

Back by popular demand. I will extend the submission phase until the end of the day. This will push the opening of the hybrid phase back slightly.

Please note that the time remaining in a given phase of the contest is shown next to the contest at http://www.proz.com/translation-contests/

When you are viewing a particular contest, you will see the
... See more
Hello all,

Back by popular demand. I will extend the submission phase until the end of the day. This will push the opening of the hybrid phase back slightly.

Please note that the time remaining in a given phase of the contest is shown next to the contest at http://www.proz.com/translation-contests/

When you are viewing a particular contest, you will see the phases with their dates and times displayed towards the top of the page, http://www.proz.com/translation-contests/43

Jared
Collapse

Reginaldo Francisco
Reginaldo Francisco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 15:39
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Thank you very much, Jared Aug 1, 2014

[quote]Jared Tabor wrote:

Hello all,

Thank you very much, Jared. I was able to submit it now.

Sigfrido
Sigfrido  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 19:39
English to Spanish
+ ...
Why not until the end of TODAY? ;-) Aug 1, 2014

Hi Jared,

Jared Tabor wrote:

Hello all,

Back by popular demand. I will extend the submission phase until the end of the day.

Jared

By "the day" in "end of the day" you meant yesterday? How about extending it until the end of today, Friday 1st August?

Thanks anyway!

Best

Milena Chkripeska
Milena Chkripeska  Identity Verified
North Macedonia
Member (2009)
English to Macedonian
+ ...

I also missed the deadline :( Aug 3, 2014

Hi Jared,

I faced the very same problem with the deadline (thinking it would be until midnight). Once I was ready to submit the entry, it turned out that the deadline had passed. I was extremely busy with other translation projects during the last 2-3 weeks, but I admit that it is my fault that I waited for the very last moment.

I was very angry (at myself), but couldn't do anything. It was 9 p.m. and the deadline was until 5 p.m.

However, when I checked
... See more
Hi Jared,

I faced the very same problem with the deadline (thinking it would be until midnight). Once I was ready to submit the entry, it turned out that the deadline had passed. I was extremely busy with other translation projects during the last 2-3 weeks, but I admit that it is my fault that I waited for the very last moment.

I was very angry (at myself), but couldn't do anything. It was 9 p.m. and the deadline was until 5 p.m.

However, when I checked the contest page next afternoon, I noticed that there was 1+ entry in my language pair! I was really surprised and couldn't believe my eyes! I wondered how could anyone submit an entry if the submission phase was closed?!? I contacted the ProZ.com staff only to realize that the deadline was extended for additional 24 hours. Unfortunately, I missed the second deadline as well as I had no idea about the extension (I didn't receive any notification or so).

To conclude, I really don't feel sorry that I completed this very interesting and demanding translation, but honestly, my joy turned into disappointment due to the fact that I wasn't able to be a part of the contest.

I am looking forward to the next translation contest!

Best,
Milena
Collapse

Christophe Delaunay
Christophe Delaunay  Identity Verified
France
Spanish to French
+ ...
I really don't get it! Aug 17, 2014

This contest opened more than a month ago. That is sure a long time to get some info about the ending date. What about a regular translation job? Do people moan, whine and ask for some extra time to the agency/the end client? Are we adults and professionals or do we still need mum to get our stuff straight?
Just amazing...
Jared, you're being sooo patient!

petebenson
petebenson
United States
Local time: 11:39
Russian to English
+ ...
Confusion on several fronts Aug 19, 2014

I previously wrote (but it doesn't appear in this page) complaining that I was invited to judge a language pair (Russian-English) for which I'm listed with Pro-Z as a qualified translator. I'd earlier submitted an entry in that pair. Since my judging in a contest in which I was participating would be an obvious gross conflict of interest, I refrained from judging in that pair.

Now it appears that that policy is not being changed. And I've just read through several other valid com
... See more
I previously wrote (but it doesn't appear in this page) complaining that I was invited to judge a language pair (Russian-English) for which I'm listed with Pro-Z as a qualified translator. I'd earlier submitted an entry in that pair. Since my judging in a contest in which I was participating would be an obvious gross conflict of interest, I refrained from judging in that pair.

Now it appears that that policy is not being changed. And I've just read through several other valid complaints, e.g. about language variants (British or American, Spanish or American); it seems no one has a workable solution to that one. *And* there was widespread confusion about the time zone of termination of the entry period, which had been omitted. (GMT would seem the obvious choice, so stated, for an international bunch like us.) The deadline was extended because of that confusion, but some didn't see the extension, causing still more confusion and angst.

This will be my last time for submitting an entry unless or until Jared can work out a workable set of procedures *in advance* and notify everyone thereof.

Pete Benson
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Annual ProZ.com translation contest 2014, "Celebrations" open now

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »