Gabriella Vento  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:12
Member (2015)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Jul 25, 2019

I got a new scam letter today.
The spelling and format is surprisingly good, but the gmail address is a telltale sign.
(Other, than the probability to get a job "After a quick review of a profile on American Translators Association", lol)
Here is the full artwork:

"Andrews Iverson
10:22 AM (12 minutes ago)
to me
Hello Gabriella G Vento,
After a quick review of your profile on American Translators Association, I write to present Bayer AG Tr
... See more
I got a new scam letter today.
The spelling and format is surprisingly good, but the gmail address is a telltale sign.
(Other, than the probability to get a job "After a quick review of a profile on American Translators Association", lol)
Here is the full artwork:

"Andrews Iverson
10:22 AM (12 minutes ago)
to me
Hello Gabriella G Vento,
After a quick review of your profile on American Translators Association, I write to present Bayer AG Translator/Interpreter job Position, We dedicate ourselves to provide a superior customer experience by delivering original, adjustable and value driven solutions. Our values: People, Virtue, Profitability, Responsibility, Imagination, we’re in search of individuals, company irrespective of the current business type for a Translator/Interpreter Position.

Please indicate your interest to receive full job description.

Referral will be welcome.
Yours sincerely,
Andrews Iverson,

Bayer AG. "
Collapse

Gerardo Lin
Gerardo Lin  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 08:12
English to Spanish
+ ...
lol Jul 25, 2019

I just got the same letter today.

The part that says "After a quick review of a profile on American Translators Association" was particularly hilarious. In my case, it must have been a particularly quick review, since I don't have a profile there.

Gabriella Vento
Trudy Stull

Gabriella Vento
United States
Member (2015)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That IS hilarious Jul 25, 2019

)))

Gerardo Lin wrote:

I just got the same letter today.

The part that says "After a quick review of a profile on American Translators Association" was particularly hilarious. In my case, it must have been a particularly quick review, since I don't have a profile there.

Liviu-Lee Roth
Liviu-Lee Roth
United States
Local time: 07:12
Romanian to English
+ ...
they moved from Karl Zeiss to Bayer ... always in the big league! Jul 25, 2019

Dear Applicant,

Your portfolio published on AMERICAN TRANSLATORS ASSOCIATION(ATA) has been reviewed by our HR Department at (Carl Zeiss, Inc.) and we are pleased to invite you to an online interview/briefing exercise. You've been assigned to Roland Hamm (Hiring Manager) of Carl Zeiss, Inc., he would be conducting an online interview with you.

Company: Carl Zeiss, Inc.

We dedicate ourselves to provide a superior customer experience by deliverin
... See more
Dear Applicant,

Your portfolio published on AMERICAN TRANSLATORS ASSOCIATION(ATA) has been reviewed by our HR Department at (Carl Zeiss, Inc.) and we are pleased to invite you to an online interview/briefing exercise. You've been assigned to Roland Hamm (Hiring Manager) of Carl Zeiss, Inc., he would be conducting an online interview with you.

Company: Carl Zeiss, Inc.

We dedicate ourselves to provide a superior customer experience by delivering original, adjustable and value driven solutions. Our values: People, Virtue, Profitability, Responsibility, Imagination.

Carl Zeiss, Inc. develops and manufactures optical and opto-electronic instruments. It offers ophthalmic, binoculars and riflescopes, camera and cine lenses, planetariums, medical solutions, microscopes, electron/ion microscopes, semiconductor/nanotechnology, industrial metrology, spectrometers, and other optical products. The company offers solutions for analyzing, healthcare, measuring, research, observing, law enforcement, outdoor and leisure, and vision markets. It has manufacturing facilities in Europe, North America, Central America, and Asia. The company was incorporated in 1925 and is headquartered in Thornwood, New York. Carl Zeiss, Inc. operates as a subsidiary of Carl Zeiss AG.

EDITING/PROOFREADING JOB DUTIES: (...)

Then, there was a pretty extensive "job interview" conducted through Google IM, and the next day, after a few additional questions, boom, an "EMPLOYMENT OFFER LETTER" came, on Zeiss letterhead, with requests for my driver's license and social security info
Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

Bettina Schewe
Bettina Schewe  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 08:12
English to Spanish
+ ...
Got it too! Jul 26, 2019

Yes, I was wondering if it was a scam...
This sentence set an alarm for me: "Our values: People, Virtue, Profitability, Responsibility, Imagination, we’re in search of individuals, company irrespective of the current business type for a Translator/Interpreter Position."

Thank you for sharing!

smcd75
smcd75
United States
Local time: 05:12
Spanish to English
+ ...
Bayer job offer, possible scam Aug 1, 2019

I got the same "job offer" as a result of a "quick review of the Colorado Translators Association listing. It seemed odd that Bayer would look so specifically at Colorado, and not the ATA. I'm glad I checked here.

innTranslation
innTranslation
Canada
English to Portuguese
+ ...
got mine too :) Aug 3, 2019

Total scam, I thought for a second it could be legit given the writing and the "interview code" they send you once you confirm. I was suspicious from the @gmail address extension and the fact I couldn't find their names anywhere on the internet associated with Bayer.

Anyway, I innocently decided to go and join the google chat with the "hiring manager", since I figured that maybe I was dealing with an anonymous 3rd party translation firm employed by Bayer or whatever. So I start t
... See more
Total scam, I thought for a second it could be legit given the writing and the "interview code" they send you once you confirm. I was suspicious from the @gmail address extension and the fact I couldn't find their names anywhere on the internet associated with Bayer.

Anyway, I innocently decided to go and join the google chat with the "hiring manager", since I figured that maybe I was dealing with an anonymous 3rd party translation firm employed by Bayer or whatever. So I start the chat, paste the code as requested. What made me suspicious then was that I got an email from the other guy asking me if "I already met with the HR manager on google chat", which I thought was a tad pushy.

At any rate, I ask for my time to be scheduled on Mon-Fri, since it's what we agreed on via email, but he wants to "proceed immediately". I ask then what languages he needed me for, to which he replied Spanish (so much for their "assessment"). Then I googled this very topic and found this post, voila, deleted/blocked.

Wasted 15 mins of my Saturday on this, so yeah, it's a scam and if your a translator they will probably target you this week as they did all of us
Collapse

Tatiana Nikitina
Tatiana Nikitina  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 14:12
Member (2011)
English to Russian
+ ...
Same here Aug 4, 2019

Thank you for sharing, Gabriella! I received the same message from false "Bayer". But I have no profile on American Translators Association. After this phrase I checked the email of the sender, and ta-dam! it was @gmail address

Gabriella Vento
United States
Member (2015)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Same scam, new email address in today's email. Aug 6, 2019

From "[email protected]" - he is getting more professional

"Hello ...
After a quick review of your profile on INTERNATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF PROFESSIONAL TRANSLATORS AND INTERPRETERS, I write to present Bayer AG Interpreter/Translator job Position. We dedicate ourselves to provide a superior customer experience by delivering original, adjustable and value driven solutions. Our values: People, Virtue, P
... See more
From "[email protected]" - he is getting more professional

"Hello ...
After a quick review of your profile on INTERNATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF PROFESSIONAL TRANSLATORS AND INTERPRETERS, I write to present Bayer AG Interpreter/Translator job Position. We dedicate ourselves to provide a superior customer experience by delivering original, adjustable and value driven solutions. Our values: People, Virtue, Profitability, Responsibility, Imagination. We’re in search of individuals, company irrespective of the current business type for a Translator/Interpreter Position.

Yours sincerely,

Lance Darryl,
Bayer AG. "

I put it here for the Google bots, so anyone searchng him get the info.
Collapse

Natalie
Liviu-Lee Roth

Yuri Geifman
Yuri Geifman  Identity Verified
Canada
English to Russian
+ ...
Bayer AG scam Aug 12, 2019

I got one too... actually, I got it twice from two different names, both at Bayer @gmail and the message was repeated 3 times in the same email (do I need to add that I don't have a profile at the International Association?):

Sent: Monday, August 5, 2019 9:59 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Bayer Pharmaceutical Job Offer- Interpreter/Translator

Hello Youry Geifman
... See more
I got one too... actually, I got it twice from two different names, both at Bayer @gmail and the message was repeated 3 times in the same email (do I need to add that I don't have a profile at the International Association?):

Sent: Monday, August 5, 2019 9:59 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Bayer Pharmaceutical Job Offer- Interpreter/Translator

Hello Youry Geifman,

After a quick review of your profile on INTERNATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF PROFESSIONAL TRANSLATORS AND INTERPRETERS, I write to present Bayer AG Interpreter/Translator job Position. We dedicate ourselves to provide a superior customer experience by delivering original, adjustable and value driven solutions. Our values: People, Virtue, Profitability, Responsibility, Imagination. We’re in search of individuals, company irrespective of the current business type for a Translator/Interpreter Position.

Yours sincerely,

Lance Darryl,
Bayer AG.

Yours sincerely,

Lance Darryl,
Bayer AG.

Yours sincerely,

Lance Darryl,
Bayer AG.

I was curious to see what would happen next, so I replied to this message, and got this:

Thanks for your reply. I'll send you more details.

The information below is a briefing about our company; the job and instructions to assist you get aboard our work team. If truly you’re interested; read further and follow the instructions as stated below, IF NOT please ignore this message.

We address some of the world's most pressing global challenges and continue to develop new solutions. The population is constantly growing and its age is increasing. That is why it needs better medicines and high-quality food in sufficient quantities.

At Bayer AG, our largest segment in terms of sales, we focus on researching, developing and marketing specialty-focused innovative medicines that provide significant clinical benefit and value, primarily in the therapeutic areas of cardiology, oncology, gynecology, hematology and ophthalmology. In this way, we are addressing the growing requirements of patients, physicians, health care payers and regulatory agencies.

Responsibilities:

- Read given material and research industry-specific terminology

- Convert text and audio recordings from one language to one or more others

- Ensure translated content conveys original meaning and tone

- Prepare subtitles for videos and online presentations

- Cross-reference specialized dictionaries and translation tools to check quality of translation

- Proofread translated texts for grammar, spelling and punctuation accuracy

- Follow up with internal team members and clients to ensure translation meets their needs

- Edit content with an eye toward maintaining its original format (e.g. font and structure)

- Network with field experts to stay current on new translation tools and practices.

COMPANY: BAYER AG

Job Type: Part-Time, Full-Time, Freelancer.

Hourly Rate: $40/Hour-$50/Hour

Training Rate: $18/Hour-$20/Hour

Per Word: $0.10-0.30

Hope to hear from you soon as we look forward to you working with us.

Best Regards,

Lance Darryl.

I'm debating whether I should continue the charade. I would except I'm pretty sure I can guess what will come next.
Collapse

Laurel Thompson
Laurel Thompson  Identity Verified
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
So it's a scam? The email address is [email protected] Sep 1, 2019

I went to respond and then thought better of it--looked it up and found this thread

This is the letter I received, but it was from
[email protected]

After a quick review of your profile on PROZ.COM ,

I write to present BAYER PHARMACEUTICAL (BP) Translator/Interpreter job Position;
PRH,as the world’s first truly global consumer pu
... See more
I went to respond and then thought better of it--looked it up and found this thread

This is the letter I received, but it was from
[email protected]

After a quick review of your profile on PROZ.COM ,

I write to present BAYER PHARMACEUTICAL (BP) Translator/Interpreter job Position;
PRH,as the world’s first truly global consumer publishing company, Penguin Random House is committed to editorial excellence and long-term investment in creative and diverse content. With our broad range of more than 250 editorially independent publishing imprints, we provide readers with unparalleled literary choices. Penguin Random House works tirelessly to protect our authors’ intellectual freedom and properties, while giving them access to support and resources that help their works reach readers around the world. Additionally, we support legislation, initiatives, and organizations such as Poets & Writers and PEN that champion writing, freedom of expression, and cultural diversity.

Hence; we’re in search of individuals, company irrespective of the current business type for a Translator/Interpreter Position.

Responsibilities:
- Read given material and research industry-specific terminology
- Convert text and audio recordings from one language to one or more others
- Ensure translated content conveys original meaning and tone
- Prepare subtitles for videos and online presentations
- Cross-reference specialized dictionaries and translation tools to check quality of translation
- Proofread translated texts for grammar, spelling and punctuation accuracy
- Follow up with internal team members and clients to ensure translation meets their needs
- Edit content with an eye toward maintaining its original format (e.g. font and structure)
- Network with field experts to stay current on new translation tools and practices

Requirements
- Proven work experience as a Translator, Interpreter or similar role
- Excellent proofreading skills with the ability to identify grammar, spelling and punctuation errors
- Good knowledge of content editing tools
- Familiarity with translation software
- Time-management skills
- Additional certification in Linguistics is a plus

Job Type: Part-Time
Hourly Rate: $40/Hour-$50/Hour
Training Rate: $18/Hour-$20/Hour
Per Word: $0.10-0.30

If interested, follow the steps below to schedule your interview session:

Send the below information and Resume to: Mr Ingo Elfering
([email protected])
Name:
Name of Company (Current employer):
Position Held:
Postal Address:
Cell Number:
Do you have experience as a Translator/Interpreter agent?
Interview Scheduled : Mondays - Fridays
Venue: On line Via Google Hangouts
Time : 9:00 AM-5:00 PM CST

Training is Available.

Your verification code is (XXX-XXXX-XXX). This would serve as your identification number throughout the on-line hiring process. This is an online work from home and working hours are flexible.

Your swift and timely response matters a lot as this is an immediate hire position... We look forward to having you on the team.

Sincerely yours,
Director Human Resources
Department of the Employee Representative
Council of Bayer Pharmaceutical.
https://www.bayer.com
© 2019 Bayer Pharmaceutical
Collapse

Gabriella Vento
United States
Member (2015)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes! Look at the end of email address! Sep 1, 2019

It says:
."..xxx.company.com".
If it was from Bayer, than it would be something, like "...xxx.bayer.com.

Laurel Thompson

Gabriella Vento
United States
Member (2015)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Same text, different sender company: this time it is "Macmillan" Nov 28, 2019

"After a quick review of your profile on American Translators Association.

I write to present Macmillan Publishers Translator/Interpreter job (Full-Time/Part-Time) Position;
Macmillan, is an international publishing company founded in 1843,having it's Headquarters in London, United Kingdom and location in New York City. Macmillan is one of the top publishing company around the world. It publishes books in various categories that include biography and memoir, classics, family a
... See more
"After a quick review of your profile on American Translators Association.

I write to present Macmillan Publishers Translator/Interpreter job (Full-Time/Part-Time) Position;
Macmillan, is an international publishing company founded in 1843,having it's Headquarters in London, United Kingdom and location in New York City. Macmillan is one of the top publishing company around the world. It publishes books in various categories that include biography and memoir, classics, family and home, fiction and poetry, health and wellness, non-fiction, romance, science fiction and fantasy, spirituality and religion, and thriller and mystery. The company also sells its books online in the United States and internationally...."

Apparently his/her English skills haven't improved at all since last time:-)))
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Bayer Pharma job offer scam

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »