Thread poster: RobinB
RobinB
RobinB  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:04
German to English
Sep 29, 2019

https://euatc.org/news/item/589-alleged-japanese-scam-revealed

Translators are already the targets of scammers seemingly all the time. And the frequency with which I keep being invited to an interview with an HR manager from any number of prominent companies suggests that the scammers are having some success. The same applies to the translation "inquiries" that
... See more
https://euatc.org/news/item/589-alleged-japanese-scam-revealed

Translators are already the targets of scammers seemingly all the time. And the frequency with which I keep being invited to an interview with an HR manager from any number of prominent companies suggests that the scammers are having some success. The same applies to the translation "inquiries" that want me to translate some lengthy publicly available document, and then ask me what languages I translate into. Are translators more gullible than most people?

But it's totally unacceptable for (in this case wannabe) translators to be perpetrating scams themselves.
Collapse

writeaway
Kevin Fulton
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Florian Stauber
Kaori Myatt

Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei  Identity Verified
Ghana
Local time: 07:04
Japanese to English
Super scummy Sep 30, 2019

They just make things harder for the genuine translators among us.

Kaori Myatt

Kaori Myatt
Kaori Myatt  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 09:04
English to Japanese
+ ...
True Oct 8, 2019

The situation is extremely hard for En to JP combination translators. As the alleged community has more than 1000 "wannabe" translators. They are begging for jobs for cheap prices so the market price is declining, also I have had many requests from LSPs for checking the quality of freelancer's translations and found some completely messed up work...also in some cases, I see Google Translate copy paste... now, we are in the most difficult situations to see how to chose new translators and who to ... See more
The situation is extremely hard for En to JP combination translators. As the alleged community has more than 1000 "wannabe" translators. They are begging for jobs for cheap prices so the market price is declining, also I have had many requests from LSPs for checking the quality of freelancer's translations and found some completely messed up work...also in some cases, I see Google Translate copy paste... now, we are in the most difficult situations to see how to chose new translators and who to trust.

It's all comes down to moral, I think.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

(alleged) Japanese translator scam

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »