Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9] >
Research project on Agricultural reforms in EU translation scam - Marie Stephens
Thread poster: Lauriane Duran-Pauleau
Lauriane Duran-Pauleau
Lauriane Duran-Pauleau
France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hi Ania Nuzzi Jun 12, 2020

Hi Ania,

The issue here is not that the scammer would take money out, the second part of this scam is usually an overpayment followed by a message from the scammer apologizing and asking you to send part of the "money" back.

I would contact your bank and let them know a scammer has your details and not to accept any large and suspicious transfer coming in.

If you have a look at the earlier posts in this thread you will find more info on how this type of sca
... See more
Hi Ania,

The issue here is not that the scammer would take money out, the second part of this scam is usually an overpayment followed by a message from the scammer apologizing and asking you to send part of the "money" back.

I would contact your bank and let them know a scammer has your details and not to accept any large and suspicious transfer coming in.

If you have a look at the earlier posts in this thread you will find more info on how this type of scam usually works, ProZ also has a few forum entries on how "overpayment scams" usually work (some of them can go through PayPal as well) and how to spot signs of it being a scam.

Hope this helps, don't panic and good luck!

Lauriane
Collapse

Vanessa Ordovás

Vanessa Ordovás
Vanessa Ordovás  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 14:55
Member (2007)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Tell your bank Jun 12, 2020

Ania Nuzzi wrote:

Hello guys, i saw this too late.

I sent her the info, so what could the scam do now?
Can they actually steal only with my iban?

I would inform your bank just in case. Maybe they can give you more information on this.

Helga Schenk
Helga Schenk
Germany
Italian to German
+ ...
I also got an offer from BRENDA and send my bank details;.( Jun 15, 2020

Dear collegues,

thanks for this info on Brenda..... just in time....
I contacted my bank as suggested.

Am really grateful to all of your infos.

Helga

Mohammad Al
Mohammad Al
United States
Arabic to English
+ ...
Same scammer different name Jun 15, 2020

Got the same exact document titled "Agricultural Restructuring in Europe: A Case Study" but from a Julia Sergio "[email protected]"

A ProZ.com user visited your ProZ.com profile and sent the following message.

Author: Julia
[NOTE: The author is not a registered ProZ.com user or was not logged in when sending this message.]
Author's IP address: 184.170.253.36

-----------

Hello.
Are you available for translation from Eng
... See more
Got the same exact document titled "Agricultural Restructuring in Europe: A Case Study" but from a Julia Sergio "[email protected]"

A ProZ.com user visited your ProZ.com profile and sent the following message.

Author: Julia
[NOTE: The author is not a registered ProZ.com user or was not logged in when sending this message.]
Author's IP address: 184.170.253.36

-----------

Hello.
Are you available for translation from English to Arabic?
Thanks.
Collapse

Leila Leonardi
Leila Leonardi
Germany
Spanish to Portuguese
+ ...
Same message from Cristy Randal Jun 15, 2020

The same excitement about a big project, but now very disappointed.
Just the name is different: Cristy Randal, she wrote to me on June 6th.
I didn't send any bank details, just answered I use PayPal and got no answer.

Thank you for your posts and comments.

Leila

Jesús Sánchez López
Jesús Sánchez López  Identity Verified
Germany
German to Spanish
+ ...
Same email from Cristy Randal Jun 16, 2020

I had exactly the same experience as Vanessa Ordovás with "Cristy Randal" ([email protected]), same IP, same "address". Unfortunately I'm relatively new working as a freelancer and the offer sounded very appealing to me. I sent her an invoice and worked on the project for 2/3 hours, until I did some research and found out this is a typical scam. And yes, it seems pretty obvious now, but at the beginning I thought it wouldn't be a scam because she offered to pay via "wire transfer" and I ... See more
I had exactly the same experience as Vanessa Ordovás with "Cristy Randal" ([email protected]), same IP, same "address". Unfortunately I'm relatively new working as a freelancer and the offer sounded very appealing to me. I sent her an invoice and worked on the project for 2/3 hours, until I did some research and found out this is a typical scam. And yes, it seems pretty obvious now, but at the beginning I thought it wouldn't be a scam because she offered to pay via "wire transfer" and I didn't see how that could be problematic.

Since I was pretty worried I called my bank, and everything is fine, I'll just have to call back when the money is in my bank account and cancel the bank transfer or whatever these people will do. I was told that if they actually pay via wire transfer and ask to reimburse the overpayment to another account if could be a case of money laundering, but after reading all this thread I guess she will just say that they did a mistake and will pay otherwise...

The only thing that worries me is that they have my data.

[Edited at 2020-06-16 10:22 GMT]
Collapse

Katarzyna Slowikova
Katarzyna Slowikova  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Czech
+ ...
Potential trouble Jun 16, 2020

Jesús Sánchez López wrote:

she offered to pay via "wire transfer"

It may mean that they will try to impersonate you and cash the check as your account owner - there have been cases like this cited in this forum. It's a way to make it look as if it was a wire. Maybe you can do something to prevent this - like blocking the usage of checks with your account altogether...? I would for sure contact the bank and tell them there's a possibility somebody will try to pose as you in the near future to cash a fake check.

Another way would be to tell the scammer you know what they're doing and you're not going to wire anything back to them. Maybe they'll give up.

BTW. I see in this thread an unusual concentration of people located in Germany who got this scam recently (me included). Since the checks are practically out of use here, I think this is the variant with the impersonation that they're trying on all of us. And I've just found out that all you (or somebody else!) have to do to cash a check at the so called Direktbanken (one that operate exclusively online) is to send a signed form per post! Tells you all about how much the banks care about potential financial damage this may bring their customers.
Source: https://www.kostenloser-girokonto-vergleich.de/scheck-einloesen-was-ist-zu-beachten-und-funktioniert-es-auch-online/

[Edited at 2020-06-16 14:20 GMT]

Liviu-Lee Roth
Jesús Sánchez López

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Suggestion Jun 16, 2020

If Katarzyna's last post is true, then I'm ready and waiting. I intend to immediately quote my most urgent highly-technical dropping-all-other-jobs rate, about four times as much. When this is accepted with nary an electronic eyebrow raised, I tell them I'm now starting work and hope to receive the cheque right away. When it arrives, I do not reply to the torrent of e-mails about the overpayment blah-blah, our mistake blah-blah, can you send the difference blah-blah for a week. Then I reply as m... See more
If Katarzyna's last post is true, then I'm ready and waiting. I intend to immediately quote my most urgent highly-technical dropping-all-other-jobs rate, about four times as much. When this is accepted with nary an electronic eyebrow raised, I tell them I'm now starting work and hope to receive the cheque right away. When it arrives, I do not reply to the torrent of e-mails about the overpayment blah-blah, our mistake blah-blah, can you send the difference blah-blah for a week. Then I reply as my nephew, with the news that unfortunately my uncle has been killed in a tragic plane crash in Nigeria, not before completing the translation, I've noticed their e-mails, but unfortunately no members of the family can access my uncle's bank account, and could they please send the - correct - amount in another cheque made out to his nephew Bartholomew Dosshouse McTurd.

[Edited at 2020-06-16 14:27 GMT]
Collapse

Liviu-Lee Roth
Jesús Sánchez López
susanaboatto
Shinsuke EMORI

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 13:55
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Bank details can be disclosed to third parties (in Europe, anyway) Jun 17, 2020

I don't think we've ever received notification of anyone having problems simply through revealing their bank details.

The scammers send a cheque for the credit of the freelancer's account, or present it in person at the bank. If the bank accepts it, it will eventually be found to be a dud and the money will disappear from your account. That's no problem as long as you haven't sent any money as a "refund". However, it's a good idea to proactively warn your bank of your suspicions, a
... See more
I don't think we've ever received notification of anyone having problems simply through revealing their bank details.

The scammers send a cheque for the credit of the freelancer's account, or present it in person at the bank. If the bank accepts it, it will eventually be found to be a dud and the money will disappear from your account. That's no problem as long as you haven't sent any money as a "refund". However, it's a good idea to proactively warn your bank of your suspicions, as that will make it clear that you aren't a willing partner in fraud.

We haven't heard of anyone trying to take advantage of the bank details in any other way. In Europe at least, it's difficult to see how they could.
Collapse

Liviu-Lee Roth
Kay-Viktor Stegemann

Daniel Tovar Retana
Daniel Tovar Retana
France
English to Spanish
+ ...
Scammer now under "Mitchell Johnson" Jul 8, 2020

Scammer tried it with me a few minutes ago from a gmail account. S/he is obviously using a VPN IP address; this time from New Jersey.

Watch out!

destradi
destradi
Germany
English to German
+ ...
USA scammer Jul 12, 2020

The same thing happened to me! She told me she sent me a cheque which never arrived, but I didn't sent her the translation. I only lost my time!

Daniela Henze
Daniela Henze
Germany
Member (2023)
English to Spanish
+ ...
"Cristy Randal" ([email protected]) did it again. Jul 17, 2020

I exchanged emails with a "Cristy Randal" a couple of weeks ago but never started the translation she offered as she didn't pay 50% upfront. I did send her a contract with my details (name and address), which she obviously never signed. But she did inform me she "had sent me a check which was mistakenly for a higher amount" and I should wire the extra amount to a different account (to which she never gave me any details.)

I didn't start the translation and, as I never received a ch
... See more
I exchanged emails with a "Cristy Randal" a couple of weeks ago but never started the translation she offered as she didn't pay 50% upfront. I did send her a contract with my details (name and address), which she obviously never signed. But she did inform me she "had sent me a check which was mistakenly for a higher amount" and I should wire the extra amount to a different account (to which she never gave me any details.)

I didn't start the translation and, as I never received a check, I didn't transfer any amount. I told her I would destroy the check as it arrived as I only accept wire transfers, and she didn't reply.

My worry now is that she has had all my details, name, address, and IBAN for two weeks.

Could she do anything with this information?
Collapse

Carol Macomber
Carol Macomber
United States
Local time: 09:55
French to English
+ ...
Agricultural Reform EU case study document Jul 19, 2020

My brush with a scam was a 19,000-word document submitted by an individual I didn't know who claimed to have found my name on proz.com. Her message had a list of proz.com links at the bottom. One of those links was proz's "report_spam=" + an 8-digit number. I won't be more specific in order to follow proz's spam-reporting rules. But proz.com and the people on this spam-reporting forum have earned my sincere thanks for helping me to avoid a $2200+ mistake! The return address used was "Provo, utah... See more
My brush with a scam was a 19,000-word document submitted by an individual I didn't know who claimed to have found my name on proz.com. Her message had a list of proz.com links at the bottom. One of those links was proz's "report_spam=" + an 8-digit number. I won't be more specific in order to follow proz's spam-reporting rules. But proz.com and the people on this spam-reporting forum have earned my sincere thanks for helping me to avoid a $2200+ mistake! The return address used was "Provo, utah" (the same return address as seen in the photograph on this page: https://www.proz.com/forum/scams/340208-research_project_on_agricultural_reforms_in_eu_translation_scam_marie_stephens-page3.html.Collapse

Aaya Tarawneh
Aaya Tarawneh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:55
Arabic to English
+ ...
Second scam in a week Sep 13, 2020

I got this same document a few days ago from a Jennifer Doxsey with the email [email protected]. She was asking for a translation from French to English and like many I at first was very excited and suspected nothing. Yesterday she responded to my request for further information about the translation and I gave her my quote. Her immediate acceptance today and asking to pay by cashier check or wire transfer, and saying she would pay... See more
I got this same document a few days ago from a Jennifer Doxsey with the email [email protected]. She was asking for a translation from French to English and like many I at first was very excited and suspected nothing. Yesterday she responded to my request for further information about the translation and I gave her my quote. Her immediate acceptance today and asking to pay by cashier check or wire transfer, and saying she would pay 50% upfront, got me searching online and I found this thread. Ugh.Collapse

Nick Elitzik

Josephine Irving
Josephine Irving  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 13:55
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Same email from "Jennifer Doxsey" Sep 14, 2020

I also got this document asking for translation from Spanish - English. I'm a new translator and feel a bit disheartened after falling victim to this scam - I did give my bank details because I was naively excited about a big project! After about 1h of translating I found the original document in English online which is when I realised. The person who sent it was also Jennifer Doxsey with the email [email protected].

Nick Elitzik

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Research project on Agricultural reforms in EU translation scam - Marie Stephens

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »