wp1
wp1
Poland
Local time: 19:25
English to Polish
+ ...
Nov 12, 2020

Hello,

Received this offer yesterday, and it seems a bit odd...I'm even afraid of opening the attached file. And is it normal to request such translation if you could ask for an official record?

"Jorge Tavares
11 lis 2020, 12:11 (1 dzień temu)
do UDW: mnie

Good morning

I have an 18 minutes sound file in Polish.
It's the record from a hearing at the Polish court.
I would like to have the translation to English o
... See more
Hello,

Received this offer yesterday, and it seems a bit odd...I'm even afraid of opening the attached file. And is it normal to request such translation if you could ask for an official record?

"Jorge Tavares
11 lis 2020, 12:11 (1 dzień temu)
do UDW: mnie

Good morning

I have an 18 minutes sound file in Polish.
It's the record from a hearing at the Polish court.
I would like to have the translation to English of this file.
Don't need to write. Can send me the record of your voice with the translation in English.

How much that cost?

Best regards
Jorge Tavares

Wojciech Przesławski
śr., 11 lis, 16:26 (20 godzin temu)
do Jorge

Good afternoon,

I would have to hear the file first. If you send it to me, I will let you know tomorrow if I agree and what the price is. Do you need a sworn or ordinary translation and how quickly?

Best regards,

Wojciech Przesławski

Jorge Tavares
Załączniki
11 lis 2020, 18:57 (17 godzin temu)
do mnie

Good afternoon

I don't need the sworn.
I would like to have the cheapest option.
What is the price to write in Polish the transcript of the file (without translation)? I may consider that option if it is cheaper.
File attached.

Thank you.

Best regards
Jorge Tavares"

And then there is an attached file "court hearing.m4a". It lasts about 18 minutes and my scanner found nothing wrong with it but I'm still reluctant to open it.

Should I just ignore him or can he be serious?

Thanks for your time and helping...
Collapse

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 19:25
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
At best... Nov 13, 2020

... the customer has problems making up his mind in regards to the final product. First he wants a recorded translation, then a written one.

No mentioning of the delivery deadline.

Depending on your criteria to base your decision on, you can proceed or drop it. I would go by my gut feeling...which is anything but positive.

Liviu-Lee Roth
Dalia Nour

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 18:25
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Private individual? Nov 13, 2020

It sounds to me as though it's a private individual who has need of this service but doesn't know anything much about the process or what's possible. There isn't anything in that exchange that screams "scam" to me, but neither do I think it's likely to bring in much money. He'll probably be horrified by any quote you give .

Walter Landesman
Liviu-Lee Roth
Yolanda Broad
Tina Vonhof (X)
Peter Motte
IrinaN
Dalia Nour

Walter Landesman
Walter Landesman  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 15:25
English to Spanish
+ ...
Whats does the client really want? Nov 13, 2020

Does the client want a Polish to English translation or just a transcript of the Polish audio? Those are different jobs and therefore you charge different fees if you are accept either task.

The client doesn`t seem to have made up his mind yet. It seems he will decide for the cheapest option. Maybe you may quote both, transcription and oral translation.

Lincoln Hui
Lincoln Hui  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 02:25
Chinese to English
+ ...
Not a scam Nov 13, 2020

No scammer has yet declared that they want to save money.

That said, they definitely seem uncertain as to what they need. You may need to be more proactive in helping them determine it.

Sheila Wilson
Yolanda Broad
Tina Vonhof (X)
Michele Fauble
IrinaN
Recep Kurt
Dalia Nour

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Scam or not?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »