Thread poster: David Abarca Quesada
David Abarca Quesada
David Abarca Quesada
United States
Local time: 07:35
English to Spanish
+ ...
Nov 23, 2020

I received an email from someone using ProZ.com requesting a translation. Have not this in a long time so I have my doubts about the integrity of the person sending the email and requesting the job.
Please help, if the person requesting doesn’t seems to have any problem with the price quoted and requests your name, phone number and address to send check (only pays with cashiers check or certified bank check), is that a good practice, and should I send the info?
What really got me
... See more
I received an email from someone using ProZ.com requesting a translation. Have not this in a long time so I have my doubts about the integrity of the person sending the email and requesting the job.
Please help, if the person requesting doesn’t seems to have any problem with the price quoted and requests your name, phone number and address to send check (only pays with cashiers check or certified bank check), is that a good practice, and should I send the info?
What really got me thinking is that I did a search on his phone number and address and both came out as unknown.
Call me extra causious but during this times you never know.

Thoughts?
Collapse

Kimberly Mitchell (X)

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 12:35
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Have you checked out the scam centre? Nov 24, 2020

Dabarca71 wrote:

It sounds as though it might be an advance payment scam. They're explained in detail in the Scam Centre here on ProZ.com. If it is a scam, please notify the site, also through the Scam Centre, so the profile can be deleted.

Kevin Fulton
Liviu-Lee Roth
Yolanda Broad
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

Kimberly Mitchell (X)
Kimberly Mitchell (X)
United States
Local time: 04:35
Italian to English
+ ...
same thing happening to me Nov 24, 2020

I'm so frustrated. I'm new in this field and I have totally fallen for it. I even have the translation partly done. They texted me and told me the check would be delivered today. I think I'm just going to hold off on completing this until I see what happens next.

They even said that they would not require the translation until the check cleared my bank. Seems sketchy, but what do they get out of it by doing this? Or is it just to screw with us?

Kay-Viktor Stegemann
Kay-Viktor Stegemann
Germany
Local time: 13:35
English to German
In memoriam
Check = scam Nov 24, 2020

Kimberly, there is a very simple formula for this: Check = scam.

How the scam works? It has been explained thousandfold in the forums. It seems to be futile to explain it. You can google "overpayment scam" and find it all over the internet.

Yolanda Broad
IrinaN
Michele Fauble
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Liviu-Lee Roth

matt robinson
matt robinson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 13:35
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Due diligence Nov 25, 2020

I wouldn't say checking phone numbers and addresses is extra cautious. I would simply call it due diligence. A lot of scams can be avoided if you put to one side the thrill of a potential new client and the scent of money, and do a bit of basic homework.
As Kay-Victor says, this looks like a classic scam, and how it and other classic scams work is explained at length on this site and all over the internet. It is well worth taking an hour to investigate what these classics look like. There
... See more
I wouldn't say checking phone numbers and addresses is extra cautious. I would simply call it due diligence. A lot of scams can be avoided if you put to one side the thrill of a potential new client and the scent of money, and do a bit of basic homework.
As Kay-Victor says, this looks like a classic scam, and how it and other classic scams work is explained at length on this site and all over the internet. It is well worth taking an hour to investigate what these classics look like. There will always be new scams, but to be bitten by one of the oldest in the book just adds insult to injury.
Collapse

Liviu-Lee Roth
Michele Fauble

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Scam?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »