After installing SDL MultiTerm 2009 SP4, SDL Trados 2007 no longer works
Thread poster: Barbara Hendrik
Barbara Hendrik
Barbara Hendrik
Local time: 17:08
Mar 18, 2011

I use both Studio 2009 and Trados SDL 2007 (I bought and installed Premier Pack –SDL Trados Studio 2009 Freelance Plus in Oct 2010).
Both have worked fine so far.
Since downloading the newest SDL Multiterm 2009 Service Pack 4 a few days ago, my Trados 2007 has ceased to work.
It takes a long time (3-5 minutes) for Workbench to start up - after finally finding what it needs online. Once it has started up I can work in it but then it crashes when I try to 'clean up'.
... See more
I use both Studio 2009 and Trados SDL 2007 (I bought and installed Premier Pack –SDL Trados Studio 2009 Freelance Plus in Oct 2010).
Both have worked fine so far.
Since downloading the newest SDL Multiterm 2009 Service Pack 4 a few days ago, my Trados 2007 has ceased to work.
It takes a long time (3-5 minutes) for Workbench to start up - after finally finding what it needs online. Once it has started up I can work in it but then it crashes when I try to 'clean up'.
It says that 'Trados Translator's Workbench has stopped working' and 'A problem has caused the progam to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available.' It then closes down altogether.
A BAK file is produced but no cleaned file.
I would be very grateful for any help with this problem. (I have Windows 7.)
Is it possible to deinstall Multiterm 2009 SP4?

Yours sincerely,
Barbara
Collapse

Morar Bras
Morar Bras
French to English
+ ...
MultiTerm 2009 SP4 and Trados 2007 not compatible Mar 23, 2011

Hi Barbara,
Have you found a solution to your problem, as I'm having the same problem as you. I mainly work with SDL Trados/MultiTerm 2009 but still use SDL Trados 2007 for aligning existing translations. Since installing MultiTerm SP4 the other day, I can create an alignment project and can save it, but cannot export it. As soon as I try and export it, WinAlign crashes.
Any help would be much appreciated.

Barbara Hendrik
Barbara Hendrik
TOPIC STARTER
Possible solution to incompatibility between Multiterm 2009 SP4 and Trados 2007 Mar 23, 2011

Hallo Morar,

I found the following on the SDL site 'Solution Finder' which helped. I went through the Solution Finder step by step and got to the following:

Close down all your SDL applications as well as Microsoft Word. Then:

1. Go to C:\Program Files\SDL International\T2007\TT
2. Find the file 'SelfRegister.bat'
3. If you have Windows XP, just double-click on the file. If you have Windows Vista/7, right-click and select 'run as administrator'
... See more
Hallo Morar,

I found the following on the SDL site 'Solution Finder' which helped. I went through the Solution Finder step by step and got to the following:

3. If you have Windows XP, just double-click on the file. If you have Windows Vista/7, right-click and select 'run as administrator' from this short menu.
4. Wait until the black DOS window has automatically closed down again.

Launch your software again.

Perhaps this may help and otherwise, if you haven't already, work through the Solution Finder.

Good luck. I found the whole situation very stressful.
Barbara
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Did this work for you Barbara? Mar 23, 2011

Barbara Hendrik wrote:

3. If you have Windows XP, just double-click on the file. If you have Windows Vista/7, right-click and select 'run as administrator' from this short menu.
4. Wait until the black DOS window has automatically closed down again.

Launch your software again.

I'm not clear whether this resolved your problem or not?

Thanks

Paul

Barbara Hendrik
Barbara Hendrik
TOPIC STARTER
Incompatibility between Multiterm SP4 and Trados 2007 resolved Mar 23, 2011

Yes, thank you, this has corrected the problem. I was unable to 'clean up' translated files in my 2007 version, but now the clean up is working again.

Barbara

Morar Bras
Morar Bras
French to English
+ ...
Winalign problem solved Mar 23, 2011

Thanks so much Barbara, it worked!! For Winalign at least.
I'm working with Windows XP, so I just double-clicked the SelfRegister.bat file as you said and now I can export a Winalign project in tmx format.
I haven't had the courage yet to try S-Tagger for FrameMaker as I have already wasted so much time in installing patches, rebooting my computer, crashing my computer...
Frankly, I seriously regret having installed SDL MultiTerm 2009 SP4 and would really like to return to SP3
... See more
Thanks so much Barbara, it worked!! For Winalign at least.
I'm working with Windows XP, so I just double-clicked the SelfRegister.bat file as you said and now I can export a Winalign project in tmx format.
I haven't had the courage yet to try S-Tagger for FrameMaker as I have already wasted so much time in installing patches, rebooting my computer, crashing my computer...
Frankly, I seriously regret having installed SDL MultiTerm 2009 SP4 and would really like to return to SP3.
Collapse

Barbara Hendrik
Barbara Hendrik
TOPIC STARTER
Glad Solution Finder solved incompatibility problem between SDMultiTerm 2009 SP4 and SDL Trados 2007 Mar 24, 2011

Hallo Morar,

Glad to be able to help. I agree entirely, I wish that I had not installed the MultiTerm 2009 SP4, it has only caused a lot of trouble. It is a pity one cannot simply deinstall it.

All the best,
Barbara

Huw Watkins
Huw Watkins  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:08
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
I reinstalled SP3 Apr 8, 2011

Barbara Hendrik wrote:

Hallo Morar,

Glad to be able to help. I agree entirely, I wish that I had not installed the MultiTerm 2009 SP4, it has only caused a lot of trouble. It is a pity one cannot simply deinstall it.

All the best,
Barbara

I uninstalled SP4 and reinstalled SP3 as I was experiencing too many problems with the newer version. I don't see why it is not possible to do this.

Barbara Hendrik
Barbara Hendrik
TOPIC STARTER
Query: How do you uninstall SP4? Apr 8, 2011

Hello Huw,

As far as I remember there was no 'deinstall' with SP4 and not being that technical I understood that it was not possible. If it doesn't take hours to explain could you please tell met how you went about it?

Thanks in advance,
Barbara

Myron Netchypor
Myron Netchypor  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 18:08
Member (2003)
English to Ukrainian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Many thanks Barbara Apr 9, 2011

Your advice was of much help, and now the workbench works again.

As to the deinstallation of Multiterm SP4 did you try the following:

Start -> Control Panel -> Add or Remove Programs?

Actually I deinstalled only the Multiterm widget because it worked not properly, but there was also the option to deinstall Multiterm SP4.

Barbara Hendrik
Barbara Hendrik
TOPIC STARTER
Attempt to uninstall SP4 to undo problems with Trados 2007 which arose when I installed MultitermSP4 Apr 18, 2011

Hello Myron,

I uninstalled SP4 using the method you suggested, but this has not solved the problem I have when starting up Trados 2007 (which started when I installed SP4). I get the message that Trados is searching for the solution on the internet and eventually it finds what it is looking for if I try to switch it off. The clean up problem was already resolved. Anyway, I am able to use the software and that is the important thing. Thanks for your suggestions.

Barbara

Danae Seemann
Danae Seemann  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 18:08
Greek to English
Barbara is a genius Feb 22, 2013

Thanks for taking the time to post the solution you found, Barbara. You are a genius. It would have taken hours to wade through all that solution finder stuff. It worked like a charm for me, too!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

After installing SDL MultiTerm 2009 SP4, SDL Trados 2007 no longer works

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »