How do I stop Trados Studio from inserting a space before a %?
Thread poster: Anthony Rudd
Anthony Rudd
Anthony Rudd

Local time: 04:05
German to English
+ ...
Sep 25, 2017

Trados Studio always changes, for example, 5% to 5 %. How can I stop Studio from doing this?

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 05:05
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
That is right Sep 25, 2017

There must always be a space before a unit symbol. 15% is a unity in itself and cannot be dealt with as a placeable. But 15 % is a number with a unit. So if the next time the same translation unit comes up but with 28 % the software will understand it and fill in the new number but not change the unit.

Silke Walter
Silke Walter  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2014)
English to German
Change Settings Sep 25, 2017

In German there has to be a space before ‚%‘. But if you want to change it in Studio, you could go to the project settings, click on ‚check wordlist‘ (or something like that, I use a German interface) in the ‚QA checker 3.0‘ under the quality check. Then add the % sign with the space as wrong expression, without as correct expression. Then it is changed when you run the quality check in Studio at the latest.

Settings

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Use the project settings... Sep 25, 2017

asr2 wrote:

Trados Studio always changes, for example, 5% to 5 %. How can I stop Studio from doing this?

... to tell Studio to handle the numbers as you wish.

Project Settings -> Language Pairs -> EN - DE -> Translation Memory & Automated Translation -> Auto-Substitution -> Measurements -> Choose the option you need.

These dictate how the space is handled. The QA settings will tell you when it's wrong so you can correct it, but changing it in the project settings means you shouldn't have to correct anything.

Regards

Paul
Why not try the new SDL Community

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Incorrect Sep 25, 2017

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

There must always be a space before a unit symbol. 15% is a unity in itself and cannot be dealt with as a placeable. But 15 % is a number with a unit. So if the next time the same translation unit comes up but with 28 % the software will understand it and fill in the new number but not change the unit.

15% can be handled as a placeable exactly as 15 % can be. How the placeable is formed depends on your project settings.

Regards

Paul

Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Except... Sep 25, 2017

SDL Community wrote:

The QA settings will tell you when it's wrong so you can correct it, but changing it in the project settings means you shouldn't have to correct anything.

Except in the cases where Studio gets it wrong (at least for my target language, German) no matter what the settings, for example currency symbols, calendar dates, or units of measurement other than the most basic ones.

Yes, I know, it's probably all Windows' fault somehow...

Anthony Rudd
Anthony Rudd

German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Only % should be handled separately Sep 26, 2017

But I want still want "true" numbers to be converted, for example, 1.23 (EN) -> 1,23 (DE). I just want Studio 2017 from automatically adding a space. Is this a new "functionality" with 2017, previously this was no problem.

Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Changing project settings: Must this be done for each and every project? Sep 26, 2017

SDL Community wrote:
asr2 wrote:

Project Settings -> Language Pairs -> EN - DE -> Translation Memory & Automated Translation -> Auto-Substitution -> Measurements -> Choose the option you need.

I have the same problem, except the other way around: 5 % is changed to 5% in propagated segments. I would have a global change for EN -> NO rather than having to do this change on a project basis, which seems a nuiscance.

Roy

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Set up your general options Sep 26, 2017

Roy Oestensen wrote:

I have the same problem, except the other way around: 5 % is changed to 5% in propagated segments. I would have a global change for EN -> NO rather than having to do this change on a project basis, which seems a nuiscance.

Roy

If you set up your Project Templates or your File -> Options then you won't have to do this on a project by project basis.

Regards

Paul

Angela Malik
Angela Malik  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:05
German to English
+ ...
Changing per project vs global settings Sep 26, 2017

Roy Oestensen wrote:

SDL Community wrote:
asr2 wrote:

Roy

You will have to change the settings every time if you are receiving packages from your clients -- the project settings will be configured as the creator has them defined. But for your own projects, changing your general settings will fix this.

Silke Walter
Silke Walter  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2014)
English to German
Thank you, Angela. Sep 26, 2017

This had been the reason for my suggestion. I am using it this way as a reliable workaround.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do I stop Trados Studio from inserting a space before a %?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »