Marking segments for different translators
Thread poster: Owen Witesman
Owen Witesman
Owen Witesman
Local time: 17:06
Finnish to English
+ ...
Feb 24, 2021

This may be a simple thing that I've just never done before. I'm working in Studio 2017 but could upgrade or switch to another CAT tool for this project.

What I need to do is to be able to mark sections of a document for different translators, have those translators do their work individually, and then recombine everything in one document. The thing is, the different sections will not be continuous. Like, it could be one line for one translator, the next line for another, and the n
... See more
This may be a simple thing that I've just never done before. I'm working in Studio 2017 but could upgrade or switch to another CAT tool for this project.

What I need to do is to be able to mark sections of a document for different translators, have those translators do their work individually, and then recombine everything in one document. The thing is, the different sections will not be continuous. Like, it could be one line for one translator, the next line for another, and the next for the first, and so on. Ideally, each translator would see all of the text, but would be able to move quickly from one of their assigned segments to the next.

Imagine you were doing a reading of a play with different people assigned different voices. That's basically what I'm trying to accomplish here. I'm trying to create consistency between assigned segments but allow for inconsistency between the work of the different translators.

Thoughts?
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 02:06
English to Russian
With SDL Trados Studio 2021, Feb 24, 2021

you can select segments, export the selection using studioViews plugin, highlight them with a color marker using the Advanced Display Filter, and finally import the highlighted selection back into your main file using studioViews again. See a short video here
*Before doing this, you should copy source to target for empty target segments in your main file so that all target segments are populat
... See more
you can select segments, export the selection using studioViews plugin, highlight them with a color marker using the Advanced Display Filter, and finally import the highlighted selection back into your main file using studioViews again. See a short video here
*Before doing this, you should copy source to target for empty target segments in your main file so that all target segments are populated either with fuzzy matches or with source because highlighting only applies to target segments.

[Edited at 2021-02-25 13:27 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Marking segments for different translators

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »