Elena Carbonell  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 00:29
Member (2007)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Sep 21, 2020

Hello there!!

Maybe there is someone out there who had the same issue or know how to help me with this.
I had a back up system I was using for years, but recently they changed the way they work and I decided to move on and use something else.
Everyone recommended OneDrive. I started using it in February and it's a nightmare. It suddenly deleted all my files and I had to restore them from the recycle bin, then made duplicates of everything and lately is affecting my TMs.
... See more
Hello there!!

Maybe there is someone out there who had the same issue or know how to help me with this.
I had a back up system I was using for years, but recently they changed the way they work and I decided to move on and use something else.
Everyone recommended OneDrive. I started using it in February and it's a nightmare. It suddenly deleted all my files and I had to restore them from the recycle bin, then made duplicates of everything and lately is affecting my TMs. It just deletes the content of the TM I am using.

I stopped using my PC and I am only using the folder of OneDrive on my computer. It's very annoying because I constantly have to work with my computer connected to the Internet sending all kind of error messages when I am using one file, slowing the system and taking up resources.

I have been looking everywhere for an explanation of how OneDrive works so I can set it up properly but there is nothing really that helps out there. Lots of commercial information, but not how to really make it work for someone who doesn't have a whole IT department taking care of this.
Now, what is annoying is that it has destroyed my work of years just by emptying two big TM. The TMs are still there but they have like 60 segments...instead of more than 100.000...
Thank you for all the help and ideas you can give!!

Elena
Collapse

anilksingh

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:29
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Which CAT-tool? Sep 26, 2020

Which CAT-tool are you using?

Elena Carbonell
Netherlands
Member (2007)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
My CAT tool Sep 26, 2020

memoQ, mainly.

MollyRose
MollyRose  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:29
English to Spanish
+ ...
find the original Sep 28, 2020

Your TMs might not be lost, if you can find them in your original location. At my work, they started to moved all of our files from our desktop computers from My Documents to OneDrive\My Documents. So it made a copy of everything. You cannot simply copy TMs or termbases; you have to create a new TM, export the TUs from your original TM, and then import them into your new TM. The same needs to happen with the termbase (TB)

We had to get an IT person restore our original MyDocuments
... See more
Your TMs might not be lost, if you can find them in your original location. At my work, they started to moved all of our files from our desktop computers from My Documents to OneDrive\My Documents. So it made a copy of everything. You cannot simply copy TMs or termbases; you have to create a new TM, export the TUs from your original TM, and then import them into your new TM. The same needs to happen with the termbase (TB)

We had to get an IT person restore our original MyDocuments files so that we could access the TMs that we had stored there. I also created a new TM and TB backup and imported the files in there. Whenever I back up, I just use the names backup 1 and backup 2.

I hope this works for you.
Collapse

Elena Carbonell
Netherlands
Member (2007)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for the suggestion Sep 29, 2020

Thank you, Molly. That´s the first thing I did. The files are in the new location (Onedrive/My Documents)...but now it deletes the content of the TM. The TM´s are there but instead of 100000 segments, there are like 60.
In the meantime I have found a way to solve this which is whenever I am using my CAT tool I just deactive OneDrive. So, it´s not busy while I am translating, probably detecting changes in the file and keeping only the last information.

MollyRose
MollyRose  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:29
English to Spanish
+ ...
Use Program Files Sep 29, 2020

Instead of putting your TMs and TBs under One Drive, put them in the path under Program Files. They should be safe there, keeping all your TUs and terms. At least, that is what is working for us.

Elena Carbonell

Elena Carbonell
Netherlands
Member (2007)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Creative solution!! Sep 29, 2020

Thank you!! That sounds like a really smart plan!!
I would definitely do this!
And maybe make manual back ups of the TMs now and then.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Issues with OneDrive deleting or emptying my TM

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »