Susanna Martoni  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 12:00
Member (2009)
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
Oct 19, 2020

Good morning colleagues.

On my PC I have several old versions of my translation softwares.

For example I have SDL 2017, 2018 and 2019
but my current version is SDL 2021. Shall I disinstall the old versions?

Moreover, I recently bought memoQ and on my PC there is a very old version (visible on the Start menu and inside the main directories) and the brand new version.

My fault: when I buy a software update or a new software, I install the
... See more
Good morning colleagues.

On my PC I have several old versions of my translation softwares.

For example I have SDL 2017, 2018 and 2019
but my current version is SDL 2021. Shall I disinstall the old versions?

Moreover, I recently bought memoQ and on my PC there is a very old version (visible on the Start menu and inside the main directories) and the brand new version.

My fault: when I buy a software update or a new software, I install the new version instead of inserting the new licence on the old version.

Do you think it is advisable to make an "overall cleaning" by erasing the old sw?

Thank you and have a nice day

Susanna
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Leave it Oct 19, 2020

Susanna Martoni wrote:
Do you think it is advisable to make an "overall cleaning" by erasing the old sw?

As a general rule, do not remove complex software from your computer unless the software causes your computer to malfunction. You may have good intentions when removing software, but you may accidentally break something in the process. Removing simple software is less of a problem.

[Edited at 2020-10-19 11:01 GMT]

Kevin Fulton
Susanna Martoni
Jorge Payan

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
SDL 2018? Oct 19, 2020

????

Jorge Payan

Susanna Martoni
Italy
Member (2009)
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I will Oct 19, 2020

Samuel Murray wrote:

Susanna Martoni wrote:

As a general rule, do not remove complex software from your computer unless the software causes your computer to malfunction. You may have good intentions when removing software, but you may accidentally break something in the process. Removing simple software is less of a problem.

[Edited at 2020-10-19 11:01 GMT]

True Samuel.

In fact till now the software causes no computer malfunctions.

So I will leave the old versions.

Thank you very much!

Susanna

Susanna Martoni
Italy
Member (2009)
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
2017 and 2019 Oct 19, 2020

Robert Rietvelt wrote:

????

I meant 2017 and 2019 (SDL old versions)
2018 does not exist actually

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 14:00
English to Russian
Feel free to uninstall. 2021 license allows you to revert to 2019 Oct 19, 2020

Susanna Martoni wrote:
For example I have SDL 2017 and 2019 but my current version is SDL 2021.
Susanna

You don't need old versions. They just consume resources. With 2021 you can always return to 2019 if need be. The 2017 version is out of date to keep it. When I upgrade from older version to a newer one, I keep both versions installed for a week or two. Normally, this is enough to see if you can rely on the new version. I uninstalled 2019 after two weeks of testing 2021. You don't keep all versions of Windows installed, do you?

Susanna Martoni
Italy
Member (2009)
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Disk space Oct 19, 2020

Stepan Konev wrote:

Susanna Martoni wrote:
For example I have SDL 2017 and 2019 but my current version is SDL 2021.
Susanna

You don't need old versions. They just consume resources. With 2021 you can always return to 2019 if need be. The 2017 version is out of date to keep it. When I upgrade from older version to a newer one, I keep both versions installed for a week or two. Normally, this is enough to see if you can rely on the new version. I uninstalled 2019 after two weeks of testing 2021. You don't keep all versions of Windows installed, do you?

Hi Stepan.

I have to wait some weeks and see if the new versions are actually stable.
It is too early to have a stable overview now.

And I have to take a decision since on my disk C there is not a huge space left.
30,9 over 118 gigabytes seem not to be very much.
When I partitioned my hard disk I unfortunately dedicated little space to disk C (and the reason is still mysterious ).

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 14:00
English to Russian
100GB is ok for me Oct 19, 2020

Susanna Martoni wrote:I have to wait some weeks and see if the new versions are actually stable. It is too early to have a stable overview now.

Well, it's up to you definitely.

Susanna Martoni wrote:
on my disk C there is not a huge space left.
30,9 over 118 gigabytes seem not to be very much.
When I partitioned my hard disk I unfortunately dedicated little space to disk C (and the reason is still mysterious

I don't think you really need more space. Unless you play games or make videos/movies. Regardless of my HDD volume, I always have 100GB allocated for C and never experienced any issues with it. Not that older versions cause malfunctions, but they clog your computer. If this is not a problem for you, then it's ok.
FYI: When you uninstall the older versions, your icons may turn blank, because your system uses those from older ones. If this happens, just repair your installation to recover the icons.

Susanna Martoni

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Disinstallation of previous software versions

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »