Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27] >
Netflix Hermes test
Thread poster: Magdalena Adamus
elastigirl
elastigirl
Türkiye
Two questions about Hermes Test Dec 30, 2017

I try Hermes test for Turkish and I have two questions
1-Is it possible to retake test after a while ?
2-In chapter 5 did u use dashes at the beginging of conversations or not because the characters are limited.

OffMag
OffMag  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 22:26
German to French
+ ...
Netflix Dec 31, 2017

I passed the text before it was automated so I didn't get a score.
I was told to expect work but never got this email about Netflix vendors (I do subtitle for Netflix through these vendors though) and never heard back from Netflix directly.

John Willemsen
John Willemsen  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:26
Dutch to English
+ ...
Netflix doesn't communicate directly Jan 5, 2018

I have also taken the test, passed with a score of 98% (Dutch) and never heard from Netflix again.

I do work for them via several NPVs, though, who have never asked me for my Hermes# - even though Netflix itself states that this is required at all times so that they can keep track of who subtitles what, and thus separate the wheat from the chaff.

These NPVs actually never have any specific requirements, in my experience, can hire whomever they like and have their own in
... See more
I have also taken the test, passed with a score of 98% (Dutch) and never heard from Netflix again.

I do work for them via several NPVs, though, who have never asked me for my Hermes# - even though Netflix itself states that this is required at all times so that they can keep track of who subtitles what, and thus separate the wheat from the chaff.

These NPVs actually never have any specific requirements, in my experience, can hire whomever they like and have their own internal processes and methods of ensuring that their delivery rate doesn't suffer.

Netflix seems to be preparing for the future, looking at the fairly recent changes to their systems, selection procedures and internal processes.

I predict that this future will involve cutting out the middle man (the NPVs) as much as possible, or rather reducing the number of NPVs and changing their role - I would not be surprised if those NPVs will be expected to take up HR, testing and selection, payrolling and perhaps more, which will also mean that some - the (smaller) ones missing the capacity and facilities to do so - will no longer be able to fulfill Netflix' requirements and be dropped from the NPV-program.

We, lowly translators, will then be tracked through our Hermes# and "fired" (no longer offered work from Netflix) if we do not meet their requirements.

But this is mere speculation, of course.

I also note that the rates offered by NPVs (if they are indeed that, and not subcontractors) vary. The lowest rate I've been offered for Netflix work was $2.50, while the highest rate was $5.50 and the most common offered rate is $4.
Collapse

Titi Sayeed

Alejandra Garcia Romero
Alejandra Garcia Romero  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:26
English to Spanish
+ ...
QC Backlot test (TVT) Jan 17, 2018

I was contacted in October by TVT and I did the QC Backlot test during the Christmas holidays. The test is a bit more difficult as you have to translate and check every single subtitle frame by frame and categorize the errors found according to Netflix's timing specifications. Initially, the time given to submit the test was 48 hours, but they have expanded it to one week.

During the test, you have a 7-minute video with two clips, one from Orange is the New Black and another from Ho
... See more
I was contacted in October by TVT and I did the QC Backlot test during the Christmas holidays. The test is a bit more difficult as you have to translate and check every single subtitle frame by frame and categorize the errors found according to Netflix's timing specifications. Initially, the time given to submit the test was 48 hours, but they have expanded it to one week.

During the test, you have a 7-minute video with two clips, one from Orange is the New Black and another from House of Cards. House of Cards is mostly about timing, characters per line and text style (italiziced words, etc.) and Orange is the New Black is mostly about shot changes.

I have not received any feedback yet, so I cannot give more information. However, if any of you is going to take it, I would strongly recommend to focus on shot changes as some of the subtitles are very tricky.
Collapse

Moulay SADIK

Marga Dorao
Marga Dorao  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:26
English to Spanish
+ ...
Never got the SMS Jan 22, 2018

This is possibly the fourth time I get this e-mail:

---------------------------
Thank you for filling out our online survey expressing your interest in being considered for our timed text translation testing platform, Hermes.

If you have not taken our Hermes test, a link to the Hermes test will come to you via SMS text message to the number that you entered in the survey. The format of the SMS text message wi
... See more
This is possibly the fourth time I get this e-mail:

---------------------------
Thank you for filling out our online survey expressing your interest in being considered for our timed text translation testing platform, Hermes.

If you have not taken our Hermes test, a link to the Hermes test will come to you via SMS text message to the number that you entered in the survey. The format of the SMS text message will be in the format of (https://hermes.nflx.io/h/H....). We recommend you type the link into your computer browser. The mobile version of this test is not currently fully supported.

Depending on your location and the volume of SMS requests, the SMS text can take up to 4 hours to get to you while the Hermes platform creates a test for you.

Please note, this is a non-compensated test. We urge you to study the Netflix timed text style guides prior to taking this test. Instructions will be on the Hermes landing page.

If you are experiencing any issues with the survey, delays, or SMS messaging please contact Hermes Support at http://bit.ly/HermesSupport. When reporting any issues, please include your Hermes number (H#).

-----------------------------------
Alas, no SMS, and no reply from Hermes Support when I have contacted them about this. Is anyone else experiencing the same? Sorry, I haven't read all 26 pages of responses...

[Edited at 2018-01-22 16:27 GMT]
Collapse

luaasp
luaasp
Brazil
HELP Jan 28, 2018

Hey there!
I'm new here and wasn't really able to read all that was said so I'm sorry if I'm going over something that was already said.

Anyway, I just went over my HERMES test and i didn't pass (whatever), but my point is: is it possible to retake the test at some point? And does anyone know any other subtitling work I could do online?

Oh, and I see many people passed but didn't get an assignment... Do you NOT recommend the work for NETFLIX or should I keep tryin
... See more
Hey there!
I'm new here and wasn't really able to read all that was said so I'm sorry if I'm going over something that was already said.

Anyway, I just went over my HERMES test and i didn't pass (whatever), but my point is: is it possible to retake the test at some point? And does anyone know any other subtitling work I could do online?

Oh, and I see many people passed but didn't get an assignment... Do you NOT recommend the work for NETFLIX or should I keep trying? because I really wanted this job...

Thanks
Collapse

jbjb
jbjb  Identity Verified
Estonia
Local time: 23:26
Estonian to English
+ ...
answers Jan 29, 2018

1. Others say using a different phone number allows retaking the test.
2. Netflix doesn't hire anybody directly. All vendors working for Netflix require their translators to have Hermes numbers and you get work through the vendors at their discretion.
The leading vendors and their language pairs are listed on the Netflix home page.
https://npv.netflix.com/text-localization

Marga Dorao
Marga Dorao  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Automatic results? How can this be? Jan 29, 2018

Sooo, I finally took the test and I got the results the second I submitted the last exercise. How can this be? One would think somebody would even bother to read what you've wrote (especially in the two last tests) before "grading" it, right? I am annoyed, to be honest.

Ekaterina Ryabtseva
Ekaterina Ryabtseva  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 00:26
English to Russian
+ ...
my 5 cents Jan 30, 2018

They considered last part on the test testing stage, so to say. But afterwards they skipped last stage which resulted in downgrading of my results from pass to not pass.
I keep working with my vendors, though. Nothing changed. But now Netflix will never contact me directly.))

Catherine Howard
Catherine Howard
United States
Portuguese to English
+ ...
mine prior posts in thread Jan 31, 2018

Marga Dorao wrote:

Sooo, I finally took the test and I got the results the second I submitted the last exercise. How can this be? One would think somebody would even bother to read what you've wrote (especially in the two last tests) before "grading" it, right? I am annoyed, to be honest.

Marga, if you read through this discussion thread, you'll see that this issue was talked about a *lot*. I know, it's a long, but you'll learn an incredible amount not only about Netflix and this particular test, but about how the translation "industry" ends up screwing everything up. This particular fiasco is not unique to translation.

In a word, don't sit by your phone waiting for that flood of subtitling projects you might have dreamed of. This thread largely reveals why. I cant in good conscience say "Hope you enjoy it", but perhaps I can cough out a "Hope your eyes get opened by it".

Luigi Carletti
Luigi Carletti
Spain
Member (2011)
English to Italian
+ ...
Is it appropriate to provide my Hermes number an agency Feb 3, 2018

Hi

Thanks for this forum!

I took the test in Netflix, but I didn't pass it. An agency contacted me and asked me my Hermes ID.

Why do they need?

Do you think that it is appropriate to provide my Hermes ID? Could my negative result be affected in the selection for this company?

Could I repeat the test? I read here I could, but I have to change my telephone number, correct?

Thank you for your help

marutimon
marutimon
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
And back... Feb 18, 2018

marcinbzq wrote:

marutimon wrote:

Finally got feedback from Netflix at the end of November. Its was through another company (TVT) whose role I'm not entirely sure about, but the rates are 50% higher than I've received from intermediary companies while working on Netflix films.

Anyone else had responses finally?

So it seems something has finally moved here.

[Edited at 2017-12-06 18:55 GMT]

[Edited at 2017-12-06 18:56 GMT]

What was your test result?

Just finished mine and got 86% - Polish/ English, and passed. I botched the video translations though so not sure if they'll get back to me.

95,66% I believe.

Received my final approval and agreement on Friday.

[Edited at 2018-02-18 17:25 GMT]

[Edited at 2018-02-18 17:26 GMT]

subtitleinsider
subtitleinsider
United States
Netflix allows subtitle companies to use translators that did not pass their Hermes test Feb 22, 2018

Luigi Carletti wrote:

I took the test in Netflix, but I didn't pass it. An agency contacted me and asked me my Hermes ID.

Why do they need?

Do you think that it is appropriate to provide my Hermes ID? Could my negative result be affected in the selection for this company?

Netflix is not currently enforcing the results of the Hermes test for subtitle agencies: subtitle agencies are allowed to use translators that failed the Hermes test to create subtitle files for Netflix. Those subtitle agencies do need your Hermes ID in order to be able to assign you Netflix subtitle work.

There should not be any negative consequences for providing a subtitle agency your Hermes ID, as those subtitle agencies are almost certainly aware of the flaws in the Hermes test. Many of our experienced subtitle translators, who have been providing us proper Netflix subtitle files that have received no rejections, failed the Hermes test, while several of our less-experienced subtitle translators, who have been providing Netflix subtitle files that at times received rejections, passed it.

Chiara Sodi
Chiara Sodi
Italy
English to Italian
not quite Feb 23, 2018

subtitleinsider wrote:

Netflix is not currently enforcing the results of the Hermes test for subtitle agencies: subtitle agencies are allowed to use translators that failed the Hermes test to create subtitle files for Netflix. Those subtitle agencies do need your Hermes ID in order to be able to assign you Netflix subtitle work.

There should not be any negative consequences for providing a subtitle agency your Hermes ID, as those subtitle agencies are almost certainly aware of the flaws in the Hermes test. Many of our experienced subtitle translators, who have been providing us proper Netflix subtitle files that have received no rejections, failed the Hermes test, while several of our less-experienced subtitle translators, who have been providing Netflix subtitle files that at times received rejections, passed it.

I am not sure about this, there are agencies that not only require the Hermes ID, but are also asking the translator to have passed the test in order to work on Netflix projects, so , yes, there are negative consequences.
Considering that Netflix has different standards for different languages, I think the whole process is not only flawed, but discriminating as well. Translators in some languages need to get more than 90% right in order to pass (only because there are too many people taking the test), while translators in other language combinations can pass the test with 85% or maybe even less; not too mention the fact that Netflix doesn't even assess the actual subtitling part.

Considering the double standards of this test, failing is not even a failure.

Olívia Pithan Burzlaff
Olívia Pithan Burzlaff
Brazil
Local time: 18:26
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Just an update. Mar 1, 2018

I checked my hermes page today and there is the following warning there.

Attention: as of April 30 2018 all tests will be closing and this testing platform will no longer be accessible. We have reached our capacity for each one of the language tests due to the rapid popularity and response from applicants all over the world. Please ensure that your tests are complete by the aforementioned date.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Netflix Hermes test

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »