Michael Harris
Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 22:18
Member (2006)
German to English
Jan 26, 2021

Hello everyone,

Does anybody have any idea why my studio 2021 keeps crashing without any warning. This has happened with different files from different customers. I didn´t even have a chance to save the file, trados just closes.
I have the latest version, have a new computer with 16 GB memory and software-related, everything is up-to-date.

I know this is quite vague, but if anybody has any ideas, that woul dbe fantastic.

Michael

Rachel Waddington
SINCAP
Sally Quinn
Bethany Bernardo
Maarten Fortuin

Rachel Waddington
Rachel Waddington  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:18
Dutch to English
+ ...
Same here Jan 26, 2021

See also: https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/348878-studio_2021_very_unstable.html

Same problem here, no warning, it just shuts down. I currently have Autosave set to every 3 minutes.

If you work out how to fix it I'd love to know.

Maarten Fortuin

Michael Harris
Germany
Member (2006)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
This is just soooo annoying Feb 2, 2021

I am working on a Powerpoint in Studio and it crashes every 3 minutes!!

I thought that Trados would also be looking into this forum, or is it really only for us translators?

And if trados knows about this problem, then it is a bit of a poor performance from them that they do not even make any suggestions or acknowledge that they are addressing this issue!!!

Bruno Depascale
Carl Stoll
Maarten Fortuin

Paul Malone
Paul Malone  Identity Verified
France
Member (2004)
French to English
+ ...
Perform a "Repair installation" Feb 3, 2021

My honest answer to your question, Michael, is no.

However, I suggest that you try performing a "repair installation". For example, in Windows 10 you proceed as if you were going to uninstall Trados Studio 2021 in Control Panel/Programs and Features, but instead of uninstalling you choose "repair". This is what SDL themselves recommend in these cases according to a post I read in the official SDL help forums. I, at least, have been doing this since Studio 2019 and I find that after
... See more

However, I suggest that you try performing a "repair installation". For example, in Windows 10 you proceed as if you were going to uninstall Trados Studio 2021 in Control Panel/Programs and Features, but instead of uninstalling you choose "repair". This is what SDL themselves recommend in these cases according to a post I read in the official SDL help forums. I, at least, have been doing this since Studio 2019 and I find that after doing so, Studio then no longer crashes at all for at least a few months. Then, the very next time it does crash - a few months later, with luck - I immediately perform the repair installation again, which once again seems to solve the immediate crashing behaviour. It works for me, so it might be worth a try.

Good luck, Paul.

[Edited at 2021-02-03 07:46 GMT]

[Edited at 2021-02-03 09:33 GMT]
Collapse

Michael Harris
Germany
Member (2006)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Morning Paul Feb 3, 2021

Paul Malone wrote:

However, I suggest that you try performing a "repair installation". For example, in Windows 10 you proceed as if you were going to uninstall Trados Studio 2021 in Control Panel/Programs and Features, but instead of uninstalling you choose "repair". This is what SDL themselves recommend in these cases according to a post I read in the official SDL help forums. I, at least, have been doing this since Studio 2019 and I find that after doing so, Studio then no longer crashes at all for at least a few months. Then, the very next time it does crash - a few months later, with luck - I immediately perform the repair installation again , which once again seems to solve the immediate crashing behaviour. It works for me, so it might be worth a try.

Good luck, Paul.

Thanks for the tip, will try it out and see.

Michael

David Willett
David Willett
United Kingdom
German to English
Me too. Feb 3, 2021

I've been using Trados since the 2007 version and have had occasional problems over the years but never the repeated crashes that seem to plague the 2021 version. My machine is a recent Windows 10 tower with 16 GB RAM, and it is otherwise completely stable. Everything else runs just fine.

Studio 2021, on the other hand, has been crashing multiple times per day on my current project with no warning whatsoever. This is what is left on the screen after it's given up the ghost:

Thank goodness for autosave!

Sandra & Kenneth Grossman
Maarten Fortuin

Michael Harris
Germany
Member (2006)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Wow, Feb 3, 2021

David Willett wrote:

I've been using Trados since the 2007 version and have had occasional problems over the years but never the repeated crashes that seem to plague the 2021 version. My machine is a recent Windows 10 tower with 16 GB RAM, and it is otherwise completely stable. Everything else runs just fine.

Studio 2021, on the other hand, has been crashing multiple times per day on my current project with no warning whatsoever. This is what is left on the screen after it's given up the ghost:

Thank goodness for autosave!

At least you get some lovely Error windows, mine just crashes and leaves me in the cold.

Bruno Depascale
Maarten Fortuin

Rachel Waddington
Rachel Waddington  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Dutch to English
+ ...
Thanks Feb 3, 2021

Paul Malone wrote:

However, I suggest that you try performing a "repair installation". For example, in Windows 10 you proceed as if you were going to uninstall Trados Studio 2021 in Control Panel/Programs and Features, but instead of uninstalling you choose "repair". This is what SDL themselves recommend in these cases according to a post I read in the official SDL help forums. I, at least, have been doing this since Studio 2019 and I find that after doing so, Studio then no longer crashes at all for at least a few months. Then, the very next time it does crash - a few months later, with luck - I immediately perform the repair installation again, which once again seems to solve the immediate crashing behaviour. It works for me, so it might be worth a try.

Good luck, Paul.

Thanks for that tip, I will give it a go!

Michael Harris
Germany
Member (2006)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Hi once again Paul Feb 15, 2021

Paul Malone wrote:

Good luck, Paul.

I have tried this out in the mean time and low and behold, it seems to have worked.

I must admit that this is a bit poor from Trados that they have not made any comments here seeing as their software is quite expensive!!

Anyway, in my case this worked but I do hope that I do not have to do that again.

Michael Harris
Germany
Member (2006)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Since my last post Mar 12, 2021

Trados is still crashing without any warnig whatsoever!
Hasnt Trados tried to make any changes to this, especially if it is a known problem?
I have never had these sorts of probles and after paying so much from updating to 2019 and then to 2021 within a year, this is extremely disappointing!!

I will have to take the advice from Paul again, but this is not a solution for a professional CAT tool

Laurent Di Raimondo
Laurent Di Raimondo  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Latest update released today Mar 13, 2021

Dear Michael,

Trados has just released a new update for Studio’s 2021 version today.

You should download and install it.

It may help and solve your problem.

Yours.

[Modifié le 2021-03-13 13:05 GMT]

Dan Lucas
Rachel Waddington

Michael Harris
Germany
Member (2006)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Hi Laurent, Mar 13, 2021

Laurent DI RAIMONDO wrote:

Dear Michael,

Trados has just released a new update for Studio’s 2021 version today.

You should download and install it.

It may help and solve your problem.

Yours.

[Modifié le 2021-03-13 13:05 GMT]

Thanks for letting me know. Just after making the post, I checked if there was an update and installed that straight away.

I do hope that it will help.
Will keep all posted

[Edited at 2021-03-14 22:37 GMT]

Remy van Tol
Remy van Tol  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 16:18
Dutch to English
+ ...
Uncheck option Mar 14, 2021

Hi Michael,

Unchecking 'Perform search if the TM lookup returns no results' helped to stop the crashes in our office.

Go to:
File -> Options -> Editor -> Concordance Search Window
Uncheck 'Perform search if the TM lookup returns no results'.

Hope that helps.

Hyojung Kim

Michael Harris
Germany
Member (2006)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Hi Remy, Mar 14, 2021

Remy van Tol wrote:

Hi Michael,

Unchecking 'Perform search if the TM lookup returns no results' helped to stop the crashes in our office.

Go to:
File -> Options -> Editor -> Concordance Search Window
Uncheck 'Perform search if the TM lookup returns no results'.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the tip. I have already done that. I hop that the update has solved this problem.

Michael

Hyojung Kim

Pavel Slama
Pavel Slama  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
English to Czech
+ ...
Is it the internet connection? Mar 15, 2021

Mine started crashing a lot more after this last update. It won’t even start, gets stuck in “Initializing views”. If I disconnect the internet, though, everything starts working fine, it seems. So my working theory is that Trados requires a stable internet connection – unlike the one I have at the moment – to do stuff that does not need any internet. Which sucks, because one of the reasons I refuse to work via many agency on-line platforms is that I can peacefully work on the train and... See more
Mine started crashing a lot more after this last update. It won’t even start, gets stuck in “Initializing views”. If I disconnect the internet, though, everything starts working fine, it seems. So my working theory is that Trados requires a stable internet connection – unlike the one I have at the moment – to do stuff that does not need any internet. Which sucks, because one of the reasons I refuse to work via many agency on-line platforms is that I can peacefully work on the train and suchlike with my safely off-line Trados.Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2021 keeps on crashing

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »