Trados 2017: Importing Trados review file updates Trados translation file, but doesn’t update TM
Thread poster: Sarah Downing
Sarah Downing
Sarah Downing  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:58
German to English
+ ...
Mar 20, 2021

Dear fellow translators,

I have Trados 2017 and Office 365.

This is my work process: I export the translation from Trados for my client to review it. She reviews it and sends it back. I go through her changes, click accept all and stop tracking (of changes). I import this review file to the original Trados project. The reviewed segments are updated in the Trados translation bilingual file, which I then save to target and send back to her.

However, yesterd
... See more
Dear fellow translators,

I have Trados 2017 and Office 365.

This is my work process: I export the translation from Trados for my client to review it. She reviews it and sends it back. I go through her changes, click accept all and stop tracking (of changes). I import this review file to the original Trados project. The reviewed segments are updated in the Trados translation bilingual file, which I then save to target and send back to her.

However, yesterday I did this, and it worked fine EXCEPT the translations in the TM remained the old translation units (BEFORE review), although I had imported the review file and the reviewed translation units were updated in the bilingual translation file. My workaround was to reconfirm each translation unit manually to ensure the updated translation units were saved in the TM to overwrite the old translation units. But what a pain!

I can only think this is a glitch, but obviously I want the TM to be updated alongside the TUs whenever I import a review file.

I’m hoping somebody has some insight. Thanks in advance!

Sarah
Collapse

Paolo Sebastiani
Paolo Sebastiani  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 14:58
English to Italian
+ ...
Unfortunately TMs don't update automatically Mar 20, 2021

Hello Sarah,
I would like to inform you that unfortunately TMs don't update automatically but you have to do it yourself. In any case you are not supposed to update each segment one by one by confirming it manually. Fortunately there is a BATCH TASK function called "Update Main Translation Memories" which will do it for you in one go. So after accepting your track changes you want to move to HOME tab Click on the BATCH TASK button and choose the "Update Main Translation Memories" item and
... See more
Hello Sarah,
I would like to inform you that unfortunately TMs don't update automatically but you have to do it yourself. In any case you are not supposed to update each segment one by one by confirming it manually. Fortunately there is a BATCH TASK function called "Update Main Translation Memories" which will do it for you in one go. So after accepting your track changes you want to move to HOME tab Click on the BATCH TASK button and choose the "Update Main Translation Memories" item and follow the procedure till the end. Once this is done your TMs will be perfectly complying with the SDLXLIFF contents.
I hope this will help you.
Bye
Paolo

[Modificato alle 2021-03-20 13:23 GMT]
Collapse

Kristina Wolf
Jorge Payan

Sarah Downing
Sarah Downing  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:58
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Paolo. Trados should automatically incorporate this function. Mar 23, 2021

Thank you, Paolo.

Yikes. It didn’t even occur to me that the TMs wouldn’t be updated automatically when you update the bilingual files. This was a very illuminating and helpful answer. I do however think that Trados should incorporate this function automatically. If you are updating your bilingual files, it stands to reason that you would want to update your TM too to match them.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 2017: Importing Trados review file updates Trados translation file, but doesn’t update TM

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »