Luca Falzoni (X)
Luca Falzoni (X)  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 20:29
English to Italian
+ ...
Mar 22, 2021

Hello SDL community,

I purchased SDL Trados 2021 Freelance (to be precise, my version is SDL Trados Studio 2021 SR1 - 16.1.4.4184) and, although I have also installed the "StudioPowerPack2021_16.0.0.1798" add-in as well as the plug-in "Sdl.Community.FileType.TMX", my Trados won't open .TMX files, thus preventing me from upgrading TMs. I tried both through the "Import" options in the "Translation Memories" view and with the "Upgrade Translation Memories" button in the "Home" menu, bu
... See more
Hello SDL community,

I purchased SDL Trados 2021 Freelance (to be precise, my version is SDL Trados Studio 2021 SR1 - 16.1.4.4184) and, although I have also installed the "StudioPowerPack2021_16.0.0.1798" add-in as well as the plug-in "Sdl.Community.FileType.TMX", my Trados won't open .TMX files, thus preventing me from upgrading TMs. I tried both through the "Import" options in the "Translation Memories" view and with the "Upgrade Translation Memories" button in the "Home" menu, but it was all in vain: my copy of Trados simply does not recognize a .TMX file.

Thanks in advance for helping me to shed some light on this issue.

Luca
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 22:29
English to Russian
You don't need Mar 22, 2021

this file type to upgrade (I suppose you mean update) your TMs. The TMX file type is needed to open tmx files in Editor as if they were translatable files.
Try this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUPGMOj8Cz8

Peter Culley

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
If you want to convert a tmx file into sdltm Mar 22, 2021

You can just create an empty TM (sdltm) and import your tmx as shown in the above-referenced video.
However, if you have StudioPowerPack2021_16.0.0.1798 installed you also can go to the Welcome view, click on Upgrade TMs, click Add File-based TMs, select your tmx.

Jorge Payan
bris97

Luca Falzoni (X)
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No way... Mar 23, 2021

Hello Stepan,

thanks for replying, but what you are proposing is precisely what I have already attempted (and yes, I meant "update"... my mistake): both importing the .tmx file in an empty TM and the other procedure you suggested ("Welcome view, click on Upgrade TMs, click Add File-based TMs, select your tmx") do not work, period. When it comes to selecting the .tmx, Trados won't open/import it!

FYI, the .tmx files that's giving me a headache is not coming from some cli
... See more
Hello Stepan,

thanks for replying, but what you are proposing is precisely what I have already attempted (and yes, I meant "update"... my mistake): both importing the .tmx file in an empty TM and the other procedure you suggested ("Welcome view, click on Upgrade TMs, click Add File-based TMs, select your tmx") do not work, period. When it comes to selecting the .tmx, Trados won't open/import it!

FYI, the .tmx files that's giving me a headache is not coming from some client (I'm a newbie and I don't have any yet); it's part of the training material of the Trados 2019 eLearnings.

Maybe I'm missing something here... beats me what I'm doing wrong (for I'm certainly doing something wrong).

Thanks anyway,
Luca
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
What do you mean by "do not work"? Mar 24, 2021

Can you see the tmx option here in this list when you import your tmx file (screenshot below)?
Probably you just didn't locate the right path. Did you make sure that you open the folder that contains your training tmx files?

[Edited at 2021-03-24 02:08 GMT]
Collapse

Luca Falzoni (X)
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, I see the option Mar 24, 2021

Hi again,

yes I see the .tmx option and yes, I located the right path... see following snapshot:

Immagine 2021-03-24 201038

This is what is driving me crazy... apparently I did all the right steps.

Regards,
Luca

[Edited at 2021-03-24 19:14 GMT]

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Autosuggest Dictionaries Mar 24, 2021

Your path goes to the Generating Autosuggest Dictionaries folder. Why do you think it must contain tmx files? Autosuggest Dictionaries use .sdltm files for input and .bpm for output.
*See my next comment.

[Edited at 2021-03-25 19:24 GMT]

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Wait a minute... Mar 24, 2021

What you see on the screen is TMX! However it has an SDLTradosStudio.exe icon that I normally see with wsxz files for example. I guess you tried to open it when its file type was not identified yet (with blank icon) and chose SDL Trados Studio for opening such files. To avoid this ambiguity you shou... See more
What you see on the screen is TMX! However it has an SDLTradosStudio.exe icon that I normally see with wsxz files for example. I guess you tried to open it when its file type was not identified yet (with blank icon) and chose SDL Trados Studio for opening such files. To avoid this ambiguity you should turn on the file name extension option.

However I still don't understand why did you locate the Autosuggest Dictionaries folder for the TM Upgrade task. Probably you worked with Autosuggest Dictionaries before upgrading TMs?

[Edited at 2021-03-25 19:23 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 2021 and .tmx files

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »