TRANSIT NXT: "Include subfolders" as default for original file folder selection?
Thread poster: Iris Kleinophorst
Iris Kleinophorst
Iris Kleinophorst  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 08:46
Chinese to German
+ ...
Jul 7, 2020

Hi,

I just made a quote to a client and he asked back if I hadn't forgotten a zero as there were 24 files in several subfolders and he doubted my quote was adequate. Alas, the option "Include subfolders" wasn't ticked for the project file selection, and Transit had only imported three files instead of 24.

Does anyone know whether it is possible to set "Include subfolders" as default when choosing a folder for the original files? I have checked User Preferences but found
... See more
Hi,

I just made a quote to a client and he asked back if I hadn't forgotten a zero as there were 24 files in several subfolders and he doubted my quote was adequate. Alas, the option "Include subfolders" wasn't ticked for the project file selection, and Transit had only imported three files instead of 24.

Does anyone know whether it is possible to set "Include subfolders" as default when choosing a folder for the original files? I have checked User Preferences but found nothing. I also compared the prj files of several projects where I'd chosen different options ("Select files", "Select folder", "Include subfolders") and found differences in the "SelectionType" string. However, editing this string to what I assumed should include subfolders (numeral 3 instead of 1 or 2) in the relevant project template did not work.

Does anyone have an idea how to set this default?

TIA, Iris
Collapse

Karen_E
Karen_E
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:46
Choose "Select folders" Jul 7, 2020

Hello Iris,

The option you need to choose is "Select folders". When the window opens, there is a checkbox to "Include subfolders". Make sure that the folder you select is the *root* folder and it will select all of the other subfolders too. For example (where square brackets represent a folder):

[Translation files]
[Table of contents] - contains 1 file
[Body] - contains 10 files
[Index and appendices] - contains 3 files
... See more
Hello Iris,

The option you need to choose is "Select folders". When the window opens, there is a checkbox to "Include subfolders". Make sure that the folder you select is the *root* folder and it will select all of the other subfolders too. For example (where square brackets represent a folder):

[Translation files]
[Table of contents] - contains 1 file
[Body] - contains 10 files
[Index and appendices] - contains 3 files

Make sure you select the root folder there, "Translation files", check the box to include subfolders, and it will also select the other 3 subfolders and therefore import the 14 files contained in them.
Transit then retains the folder structure on export also.

I hope that helps!
Collapse

Karen_E
Karen_E
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:46
Edit: Choose "Select folders" Jul 7, 2020

Hello Iris,

Apologies, I just realised that I misread your post and explained something you clearly already know! Unfortunately I don't know of a way to make this the default, since it can be user-specific on whether subfolders should or shouldn't be imported, depending on how files are structured within an organisation (e.g. for websites there could be multiple subfolders that are irrelevant for translation).
I have just tested it with a project template, but this is still a
... See more
Hello Iris,

Apologies, I just realised that I misread your post and explained something you clearly already know! Unfortunately I don't know of a way to make this the default, since it can be user-specific on whether subfolders should or shouldn't be imported, depending on how files are structured within an organisation (e.g. for websites there could be multiple subfolders that are irrelevant for translation).
I have just tested it with a project template, but this is still a user-specific selection at the point that the files/folders are selected. You may, however, find a template useful as you can slim down the number of steps in the import process and just leave a fewer number of options to consider, which I find useful for me in concentrating only on the settings which are relevant for that job.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maya Gorgoshidze[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TRANSIT NXT: "Include subfolders" as default for original file folder selection?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »