Nathalie Coutelle  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:44
Member (2008)
English to French
+ ...
May 10, 2016

Hi everybody!

I registered as autonomo a few months ago and I just received a letter from la "Direction general de la inspeccion de trabajo". They are giving me a specific appointment to show a list of documents.

Is this a routine procedure for all autonomous ?

Any tips ?

Many thanks in advance

Nathalie

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 21:44
Spanish to English
+ ...
SNAFU in Spain May 10, 2016

Yes, it's standard procedure (unless you're lucky - I went for years without an audit until a couple of years ago. As I'm not very good at keeping invoices, I ended up having to pay back roughly €3000, equivalent to about €1000 a year, because I had claimed VAT tax relief, but didn't manage to keep all the receipts and invoices to justify these outgoings). Just take copies of every invoice you've ever issued or other relevant piece of paper with you. Tax records from previous years if you ... See more
Yes, it's standard procedure (unless you're lucky - I went for years without an audit until a couple of years ago. As I'm not very good at keeping invoices, I ended up having to pay back roughly €3000, equivalent to about €1000 a year, because I had claimed VAT tax relief, but didn't manage to keep all the receipts and invoices to justify these outgoings). Just take copies of every invoice you've ever issued or other relevant piece of paper with you. Tax records from previous years if you have them. Certificates of tax withholdings from clients, again, if you have them.

PS: It's nothing to worry about really - the worst-case scenario is they can fine you or make you pay if they think they find discrepancies in your statements, but as you've only been in business for a few months, it's probably just a formality. However, if your Spanish isn't very fluent, it might be advisable to take someone knowledgeable with you, like a gestor.

[Edited at 2016-05-10 10:21 GMT]

[Edited at 2016-05-10 10:22 GMT]
Collapse

lumierre
lumierre
Member (2013)
German to English
+ ...
certificate of tax withholding Jan 9, 2020

neilmac wrote:

Tax records from previous years if you have them. Certificates of tax withholdings from clients, again, if you have them.

Hi neilmac
what do you mean by certificate of tax withholding?

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Certificate of tax withholding Jan 13, 2020

lumierre wrote:

neilmac wrote:

Tax records from previous years if you have them. Certificates of tax withholdings from clients, again, if you have them.

Hi neilmac
what do you mean by certificate of tax withholding?

In Spain, working as a sole trader or self-employed person, (trabajador autónomo/de cuenta propia), when I invoice my clients, they have to withhold 15% of the total as my IRPF (Spanish income tax) contribution. In my quarterly tax return, I have to declare the amounts billed for income tax and VAT, where applicable. At the end of each tax year, the clients are supposed to send me a certificate (certificado de retenciones) justifying that these tax amounts have been withheld and paid to the tax authority . Luckily enough, most of them do this, and if they forget, they usually send me the certificate quickly after I send a reminder.

A quick Google search for "certificate of tax withholding" should get you plenty of real-world examples of usage in different countries.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Monika Jakacka Márquez[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Inspección laboral

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »