Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Nimdzi’s Top 100 Language Services Providers 2019

This discussion belongs to Translation news » "Nimdzi’s Top 100 Language Services Providers 2019".
You can see the translation news page and participate in this discussion from there.

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 23:00
French to English
. May 16, 2019

hmph you first have to sign up before you can read it.

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
Local time: 19:00
SITE STAFF
List is public May 16, 2019

Kay Denney wrote:

hmph you first have to sign up before you can read it.

Hi Kay,

The list is public, but I did get a huge pop-up to subscribe when I landed on the page that covered my whole screen. If you close that out, you can see the list.

Jared

Ivana Kahle

Ivana Kahle
Ivana Kahle  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
German to Croatian
+ ...
Thanks for sharing this, Jared May 16, 2019

Very useful info and insight into our industry.

Boryana Yovcheva

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
List is public May 16, 2019

Jared Tabor wrote:

Hi Kay,

The list is public, but I did get a huge pop-up to subscribe when I landed on the page that covered my whole screen. If you close that out, you can see the list.

Jared

Thanks Jared. So I went back to try again and this time got straight in, they'd already given up on me apparently!

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 22:00
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Thanks, Jared May 16, 2019

Very useful information for a non risk-taker...

Robert Forstag
Robert Forstag  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:00
Spanish to English
+ ...
Better think twice... May 16, 2019

Teresa Borges wrote:

It should be pointed out that the rankings in question are based on revenue only, and reflect nothing (one way or the other) about the ethical and professional practices of the agencies in question, or whether most established translators residing in particular regions of planet Earth would consider the rates they typically offer for a given language pair to be attractive (or even minimally viable).

[Edited at 2019-05-16 17:18 GMT]

Mirko Mainardi
Philip Lees
Michele Fauble
Philippe Etienne
Stephanie Mitchel
LIZ LI

Jan Truper
Jan Truper  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2016)
English to German
Thanks! May 16, 2019

Lots of interesting stats and other useful info.

Ivana Kahle

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
at first May 16, 2019

At first I thought it was unfair to call "agencies" best LSPs because they are but middlemen having little to do with translation, yet checking one of the leaders I found it is--surprise!--closely associated with WordFast.

However, even declared "average" rates speak the sad truth...

Robert Forstag
Philip Lees

Philip Lees
Philip Lees  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 00:00
Greek to English
Top ten to avoid May 17, 2019

Robert Forstag wrote:

It should be pointed out that the rankings in question are based on revenue only, and reflect nothing (one way or the other) about the ethical and professional practices of the agencies in question

Indeed. Three of the top four are agencies I decided long ago never to work with, largely because of their payment policies.

Robert Forstag
Roy Williams
Thayenga
Philippe Etienne

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 22:00
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I know, Robert, thanks May 17, 2019

Robert Forstag wrote:

Teresa Borges wrote:

It should be pointed out that the rankings in question are based on revenue only, and reflect nothing (one way or the other) about the ethical and professional practices of the agencies in question, or whether most established translators residing in particular regions of planet Earth would consider the rates they typically offer for a given language pair to be attractive (or even minimally viable).

[Edited at 2019-05-16 17:18 GMT]

It was kind of an innocent private joke between me and Jared on account of another thread (yesterday's quick poll).

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
Surprisingly May 17, 2019

...from first-hand experience, it is possible to both belong to this list and care for their freelance translators. I wonder why so many other agencies in this list can't match their level of skills and commitment.
And why do I get the impression that a good portion of those who have contacted me over the years (about 1/3) just wanted to rip me off?

Anyway, it's not that we can no longer choose who to work with: the first 100 LSPs seem to cover less than 15% of the global
... See more
...from first-hand experience, it is possible to both belong to this list and care for their freelance translators. I wonder why so many other agencies in this list can't match their level of skills and commitment.
And why do I get the impression that a good portion of those who have contacted me over the years (about 1/3) just wanted to rip me off?

Anyway, it's not that we can no longer choose who to work with: the first 100 LSPs seem to cover less than 15% of the global market despite their consolidation efforts with massive M&A coups and their buying power for advertising.

Philippe
Collapse

Kay-Viktor Stegemann

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Interesting May 28, 2019

Especially the newly arrived agencies. The list is apparently based on generated revenue/profit. And one of the new agencies will pretty soon be No. 1 because they just recently cut the rates they're paying the translators by up to 75%, thus increasing their profits tremendously.

This list is definitely to be taken with a grain of salt.

Maurits Meulenbelt
Maurits Meulenbelt  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
Not incredibly useful Jun 23, 2019

Thayenga wrote:

Especially the newly arrived agencies. The list is apparently based on generated revenue/profit. And one of the new agencies will pretty soon be No. 1 because they just recently cut the rates they're paying the translators by up to 75%, thus increasing their profits tremendously.

This list is definitely to be taken with a grain of salt.

The list is only based on revenue, so the rates they pay their subcontractors are not a factor.

In fact, the report is rather shallow, focussing only on size and revenue, implying that industry consolidation is a good thing (again only because the combined companies have a higher turnover) and completely ignoring profitability. As an independent translator, the only takeaway is that the amount of work for translators is still growing, which is a good thing.

P.S. I didn’t know there were agencies that set the rates for their translators? In my experience it is always the other way around. I would certainly never accept a cut, but they are free to send me less work if they think I’m too expensive.

Robert Forstag

Colleen Roach, PhD
Colleen Roach, PhD  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:00
French to English
+ ...
Thanks Jun 24, 2019

Interesting information and comments on the data.

The following figure of 75% is alarming, but good to know.

[quote]Thayenga wrote:

And one of the new agencies will pretty soon be No. 1 because they just recently cut the rates they're paying the translators by up to 75%, thus increasing their profits tremendously.

Thayenga
Robert Forstag

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
In an ideal world Jun 24, 2019

Maurits Meulenbelt wrote:

P.S. I didn’t know there were agencies that set the rates for their translators? In my experience it is always the other way around. I would certainly never accept a cut, but they are free to send me less work if they think I’m too expensive.

Too many agencies believe that they can dictate the rates, and just as many translators are forced to accept these low rates or go without work. Best example, discounts for repetitions, fuzzy matches and the like.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Nimdzi’s Top 100 Language Services Providers 2019

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »