Tips for an interview for a Project Management position.
Thread poster: osvirio
osvirio
osvirio
Panama
Aug 23, 2018

Hello everyone,

I've been offered a position as a Translator Project Manager in the company I've been working for the past three years as a translator and I will have an interview in a couple of days with a recruiter.

I'm very excited about the offer and although I'm not completely sure what my responsibilities would be, how would be the work-flow, the average salary I can expect or negotiate...

I would like to know if any of you has experience in pro
... See more
Hello everyone,

I've been offered a position as a Translator Project Manager in the company I've been working for the past three years as a translator and I will have an interview in a couple of days with a recruiter.

I'm very excited about the offer and although I'm not completely sure what my responsibilities would be, how would be the work-flow, the average salary I can expect or negotiate...

I would like to know if any of you has experience in project management. Any advice or observation would be appreciated.

Thank you.
Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 08:24
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Hello Aug 24, 2018

Some years ago when working in-house (a EU institution) I was asked to replace a PM (a translation coordinator as it is called in those circles) during her maternity leave, but I soon found out that dealing with deadlines, translators, directors and all the problems arising in the course of a project can be rather overwhelming. After one month I couldn’t take no more and gained a deep respect for all PMs… Good luck!

Diana Coada (X)

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
the core of the project--why you? Aug 24, 2018

What is PM for you? Are you familiar, say, with PMBoK framework? Any relevant exp, interpersonal skills, or communication principles? PrimaVera, MS Project, CRM? MBA/courses? Soft and hard skills? Does QA/BX/BA/ERP mean anything? Biz processes, benefits/drawbacks, consequences, alternatives, leaders, responsibilities, new means/tools/requirements? Clients+Team+Product(service)+Company=? Are you ready to listen and hear, to watch and see, to think quickly and learn, to assess risks and act proact... See more
What is PM for you? Are you familiar, say, with PMBoK framework? Any relevant exp, interpersonal skills, or communication principles? PrimaVera, MS Project, CRM? MBA/courses? Soft and hard skills? Does QA/BX/BA/ERP mean anything? Biz processes, benefits/drawbacks, consequences, alternatives, leaders, responsibilities, new means/tools/requirements? Clients+Team+Product(service)+Company=? Are you ready to listen and hear, to watch and see, to think quickly and learn, to assess risks and act proactively, and stay flexible, yet rigid to accomplish the project?Collapse

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 09:24
French to English
I didn't like project management Aug 26, 2018

Surely the best thing would be to ask those already working as PMs in your company?

I did a stint as PM and hated it. I enjoyed the interactions with the translators, but found myself acting all too often as a buffer between the sales staff who promised the moon to their client and the translator who just can't fit anything in for the sales staff's deadline. It's mostly just sending files back and forth, drawing up estimates, and running CAT analyses: not much of a challenge compar
... See more
Surely the best thing would be to ask those already working as PMs in your company?

I did a stint as PM and hated it. I enjoyed the interactions with the translators, but found myself acting all too often as a buffer between the sales staff who promised the moon to their client and the translator who just can't fit anything in for the sales staff's deadline. It's mostly just sending files back and forth, drawing up estimates, and running CAT analyses: not much of a challenge compared to translating. And sometimes dealing with hysteric clients and those who pretend the translation was rubbish to get out of paying for it.
So when I was given a choice of working either as a translator or as a PM, I chose translation.
Collapse

Annamaria Sondrio

Annamaria Sondrio
Annamaria Sondrio  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 09:24
English to Italian
+ ...
Bye bye, translations Aug 27, 2018

You won't be translating anymore. Are you sure this is what you really want?

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
@Annamaria Aug 27, 2018

Not always that sad, for depending on a company, a formal title of a PM is often but a "team leader", a responsible person... or a scapegoat.

However, if one has got enough biz skills and persistence, then he or she would certainly go for big money soon--at a private company.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Tips for an interview for a Project Management position.

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »