Portugal
Local time: 07:15
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
User configured MT connector Sep 3, 2020

Hello,

If you are following this thread, here's some news:
It is now possible to connect to virtually any MT you want in Wordfast Server.
This is a very handy gateway to connecting your MT to your CAT tool if your CAT does not have a specific connector for it.

Thus you can use WFS as a central point to use your MT in your CAT clients (Pro 5, Pro3, Classic, Anywhere, MemoQ, SDL 2019).

This could be useful to LSPs as well, if you acquire MT servic
... See more
Hello,

If you are following this thread, here's some news:
It is now possible to connect to virtually any MT you want in Wordfast Server.
This is a very handy gateway to connecting your MT to your CAT tool if your CAT does not have a specific connector for it.

Thus you can use WFS as a central point to use your MT in your CAT clients (Pro 5, Pro3, Classic, Anywhere, MemoQ, SDL 2019).

This could be useful to LSPs as well, if you acquire MT services, they can fed live to your translators.

Once configured, the MT is connected to the CAT client as if it were a simple Translation Memory. You just need to adjust your penalties.

I demonstrate this in a video with ModernMT connected to Wordfast Pro 5 as an example here: https://youtu.be/DsBN9_jxMAU

This feature is also discussed in this thread:

https://www.proz.com/forum/machine_translation_mt/346103-connecting_any_mts_to_cat_tools.html

Be safe
Collapse

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Does your "Simple WFS Connector" work with Trados Studio 2022? Sep 25, 2022

Hi Philippe,

Does your "Simple WFS Connector" work with Trados Studio 2022 (which is my current favourite CAT tool)?

I tried to have a look at it on the RWS AppStore, but since the stupid AppStore went down everything is gone. My god what a bunch of idiots. How on earth did a company the size of SDL/RWS manage to lose their entire AppStore? It's sort of hard to believe r
... See more
Hi Philippe,

Does your "Simple WFS Connector" work with Trados Studio 2022 (which is my current favourite CAT tool)?

I tried to have a look at it on the RWS AppStore, but since the stupid AppStore went down everything is gone. My god what a bunch of idiots. How on earth did a company the size of SDL/RWS manage to lose their entire AppStore? It's sort of hard to believe really.

https://appstore.sdl.com/language/app/simple-wfs-connector/1098/ … still exists, but all the content is gone.

Michael
Collapse

expressisverbis

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
My goodness Sep 25, 2022

Michael Beijer wrote:
I tried to have a look at it on the RWS AppStore, but since the stupid AppStore went down everything is gone. My god what a bunch of idiots. How on earth did a company the size of SDL/RWS manage to lose their entire AppStore? It's sort of hard to believe really.

I had to check but this is true. The website says:

"The web AppStore is not currently available."

How long has this been the case?

Dan

expressisverbis

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
weeks, maybe months now Sep 25, 2022

It's absoutely insane. I can't remember the exact details, but a while back there was some sort of server problem, I seem to remember it corresponded with something that was happening at the time on a global scale to Microsoft Azure servers or something like that, and then RWS said their AppStore had been messed up and lots of data lost. I of course expected there to be some kind of backup (!?!) and that they would have everything up and running again soon. Boy was I wrong.

IYAM, th
... See more
It's absoutely insane. I can't remember the exact details, but a while back there was some sort of server problem, I seem to remember it corresponded with something that was happening at the time on a global scale to Microsoft Azure servers or something like that, and then RWS said their AppStore had been messed up and lots of data lost. I of course expected there to be some kind of backup (!?!) and that they would have everything up and running again soon. Boy was I wrong.

IYAM, the AppStore is (well, was) one of the best things about Trados Studio.
Collapse

Dan Lucas
Philippe Locquet
expressisverbis

Philippe Locquet
Philippe Locquet  Identity Verified
Portugal
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
2019 Sep 26, 2022

Michael Beijer wrote:

Hi Philippe,

https://appstore.sdl.com/language/app/simple-wfs-connector/1098/ … still exists, but all the content is gone.

Michael

Hi Michael,

This plugin was made for SDL 2019. My plans were to make it bigger and better for newer SDL versions but the interest was small.
If there's solid interest, that could change though.
I had inquired about if this could be made to work on SDL cloud projects too, but I only got a vague answer from them, so with that kind of support and the AppStore having this major crash, it's hard to keep thinking into this as a solid project.

One way around I can think of is having GT4T developper integrate WFS connection (could work for TM and Glossary). It should be straightforward, WFS developer has introduced the option to use the http Port which makes it super easy for other developers to integrate.

My bests

expressisverbis

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
interesting idea: using GT4T to search for stuff inside Wordfast Server TMs/glossaries Sep 26, 2022

Philippe Locquet wrote:

Michael Beijer wrote:

Hi Philippe,

Michael

Hi Michael,

This plugin was made for SDL 2019. My plans were to make it bigger and better for newer SDL versions but the interest was small.
If there's solid interest, that could change though.
I had inquired about if this could be made to work on SDL cloud projects too, but I only got a vague answer from them, so with that kind of support and the AppStore having this major crash, it's hard to keep thinking into this as a solid project.

One way around I can think of is having GT4T developper integrate WFS connection (could work for TM and Glossary). It should be straightforward, WFS developer has introduced the option to use the http Port which makes it super easy for other developers to integrate.

My bests

Hi Philippe,

That's actually a pretty interesting idea: using GT4T to search for stuff inside Wordfast Server TMs/glossaries.

GT4T already has its own search feature for querying online ‘Dictionaries’ + local ‘Simple Glossaries’. I bet the developer (who is amazing & super responsive, as you probably already know) could think of some clevers ways of integrating Wordfast Server TMs/glossaries as well. It would basically allow GT4T to also be a really powerful bilingual concordancing search tool, like LogiTerm Pro, which can also search across millions and millions of translation memory TUs.

Michael

[Edited at 2022-09-26 20:06 GMT]

Philippe Locquet

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
It's all about the money Sep 27, 2022

Philippe Locquet wrote:

Hi there!

I’m starting this thread on Wordfast Server for a few reasons:

Since I don't want to get an official quote: please shed some light on how much Wordfast Server costs. Do you have to use your own hardware?

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
it's free for freelancers, and can be run on your own computer! Sep 27, 2022

Hans Lenting wrote:

Philippe Locquet wrote:

Hi there!

I’m starting this thread on Wordfast Server for a few reasons:

Since I don't want to get an official quote: please shed some light on how much Wordfast Server costs. Do you have to use your own hardware?

It's not very clear on the website, but it's free for freelancers, and can be run on your own computer! That is, your CAT tool and WFS can both be running on your work computer.

Michael

Philippe Locquet

Philippe Locquet
Portugal
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Demo mode for freelancers Sep 27, 2022

Like Michael said, freelancers (as long as you're not an agency) can use WFS in Demo mode.
The only limit you get on demo mode is the number of simultaneous connections WFS will accept. In demo mode it's 3 connections.

It runs on Windows systems only. It's best to use Windows Server OS but if you know what you're doing you can tweak you Windows version to suit you server use (not advisable for agencies though).

Setting it up will depend on the use you want to get
... See more
Like Michael said, freelancers (as long as you're not an agency) can use WFS in Demo mode.
The only limit you get on demo mode is the number of simultaneous connections WFS will accept. In demo mode it's 3 connections.

It runs on Windows systems only. It's best to use Windows Server OS but if you know what you're doing you can tweak you Windows version to suit you server use (not advisable for agencies though).

Setting it up will depend on the use you want to get out of it:
_Same computer as your CAT: super easy
_Same LAN, different computer just requires allowing traffic through specific ports
_WAN access: requires routing traffic on router and a static IP.

You can use WFS to tap into several TM and Glossary at the same time and decide read/write rights.

These are the main features heavily simplified.
Collapse

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Free for ever? Sep 27, 2022

Philippe Locquet wrote:

Before we change our workflows: will it be free for ever, or will it have a price tag after it has become popular (like happened with Wf Classic and now with Wf Anywhere)?

1009144-1552688954075@2x

[Edited at 2022-09-27 09:06 GMT]

Philippe Locquet
Portugal
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Demo mode details Sep 27, 2022

Hans Lenting wrote:
Before we change our workflows: will it be free for ever, or will it have a price tag after it has become popular (like happened with Wf Classic and now with Wf Anywhere)?

Wordfast tools usually have a “demo mode” where you can still perform some work with the tool even without a license. What you can do is understandably limited. And besides this they have the paid version that has all the features. I think no-one can answer the “forever” question for you though. What I can do is quote from this directly available online manual (it’s an older version, the newest comes with your WFS download): https://www.wordfast.com/sites/default/files/imported/docs/WfServer.pdf
“Demo mode
The demo mode is defined by the absence of a valid license. It is indicated by a flashing RED message in the upper right-hand corner of the application window. In this mode, WFS does not accept more than 3 simultaneous connections, and is reserved for private use by individuals, such as freelance translators. Translation/localization agencies, administrations, and corporations in general should use the demo mode only to evaluate or test WFS, but not for actual production.”
I think that’s clear and fair. You even get the ability to route an MT through one TM connection in Demo mode. Again, fair use is only for freelancers.
Hope this helps 😊

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

A Wordfast Server thread at last!

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »