Nora Diaz
Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 02:09
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Video of XTM Cloud with text expander in action Jul 8, 2011

I have just posted a short video showing how XTM Cloud can be enhanced with a text expander. Please find it below:

http://noradiaz.blogspot.com/2011/07/adding-functionality-to-xtm-cloud-with.html

Susana González Tuya
Susana González Tuya
Spain
Local time: 10:09
Member (2010)
English to Spanish
+ ...
XTM vs Trados Jul 8, 2011

Can anyone tell me why I can not open a XLIFF file or TMX from XLM Cloud with Trados Studio?

EKNXTM
EKNXTM
Local time: 09:09
XLIFF, TMX Jul 11, 2011

Dear Susana,

We would like to find out more, please email [email protected] with details of the problem.

Please include the files in question and the precise version of Trados Studio that you are using.

Thanks, we look forward to helping.

Elliot
[email protected]

Vanessa Drexler
Vanessa Drexler
Local time: 10:09
quite different opinions on the degree of satisfaction using XTM Cloud Jul 21, 2012

I've read your comments so far, and it seems to me that the degree of satisfaction concerning XTM Cloud varies a lot. It would be great if you shared your experience, satisfaction or dissatisfaction by means of my survey because by now, XTM Cloud unfortunately is only poorly represented. Assumingly, most translators work with other translation tools which do not exclusively run online.

For participation in this online survey please use the following link:

English Versi
... See more
I've read your comments so far, and it seems to me that the degree of satisfaction concerning XTM Cloud varies a lot. It would be great if you shared your experience, satisfaction or dissatisfaction by means of my survey because by now, XTM Cloud unfortunately is only poorly represented. Assumingly, most translators work with other translation tools which do not exclusively run online.

For participation in this online survey please use the following link:

English Version: http://sumi.ucc.ie/en/
German Version: http://sumi.ucc.ie/de/

and enter the following password at the top of the questionnaire: 287CQ

Many thanks!
Vanessa
Collapse

AndyTsai
AndyTsai  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 17:09
Chinese to English
+ ...
XTM is a REALLY REALLY BAD tool Aug 26, 2012

I'm currently using it to translate a 7,000-word project, it is really frustrating. XTM
delays your process by over 50%. I wonder why would any agency spend money on such a dreadful tool? Or is it good for them and bad for us translators who really do the work? Trados 2009 is 100 times better than it.

Anyway, this is my last experience with it, next time a PM asks me to handle a job using XTM, I'll turn down the assignment downright.

Susanna Talia

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 12:09
English to Turkish
+ ...
too much tags Aug 26, 2012

Recently an agency sent me an xlf file exported from XTM, original file was InDesign (indd extension). 2500 codes (tags) in a 2300-word file! I asked for the original file and tested in Deja Vu X2 and memoQ, only about 350 codes in these tools.

Now that agency is testing other CAT tools which create less tags.

Marina Soldati
Marina Soldati  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 06:09
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Global find and replace Aug 26, 2012

Hi!

I´ve worked on XTM mainly as an editor and I found that it would be great to have a global Find and Replace feature, one that could search for terms or phrases in all the files in a project and replace them.

When the project has 60+ files, it´s too time consuming to open each file and write or copy & paste the phrase/term you want to replace.
Could this be possible?

Thank you
Marina

Chunyi Chen
Chunyi Chen
United States
English to Chinese
I can cofirm that. Aug 26, 2012

I recently did a 14,000 word Indesign file created in XTM and I felt like it was a 30,000-word file! I downloaded the file from the clien'ts XTM online portal, finished it in MemoQ and was able to do it a lot faster than if I had done it in XTM. Even so, I still spent a good chunk of time working around those excessive tags in MemoQ. With my limited experience in XTM, I think it's not a very efficient CAT tool for me to work as a translator, although it might be a different story for project ... See more
I recently did a 14,000 word Indesign file created in XTM and I felt like it was a 30,000-word file! I downloaded the file from the clien'ts XTM online portal, finished it in MemoQ and was able to do it a lot faster than if I had done it in XTM. Even so, I still spent a good chunk of time working around those excessive tags in MemoQ. With my limited experience in XTM, I think it's not a very efficient CAT tool for me to work as a translator, although it might be a different story for project managers.

Chun-yi

Selcuk Akyuz wrote:

Recently an agency sent me an xlf file exported from XTM, original file was InDesign (indd extension). 2500 codes (tags) in a 2300-word file! I asked for the original file and tested in Deja Vu X2 and memoQ, only about 350 codes in these tools.

[Edited at 2012-08-26 15:58 GMT]
Collapse

Chunyi Chen
Chunyi Chen
United States
English to Chinese
You can download the file and work in Studio Aug 26, 2012

Hi Andy,

If your client agrees, you can download the file and work in Studio (I know it works with Studio 2011, but it should be the same with 2009). You would need to ask the client to send you the tm in tmx so that you can create a project TM in Studio.

When you are done with the file, upload it back to the XTM environment and select "all segments", which will update all segments of your file in the XTM.

To be safe, you may want to test it first and du
... See more
Hi Andy,

If your client agrees, you can download the file and work in Studio (I know it works with Studio 2011, but it should be the same with 2009). You would need to ask the client to send you the tm in tmx so that you can create a project TM in Studio.

When you are done with the file, upload it back to the XTM environment and select "all segments", which will update all segments of your file in the XTM.

To be safe, you may want to test it first and during the tranlsation process to ensure everything works ok. Be careful with the tags though, because if you miss tags in segments, you will not be able to upload (this happened to me last time and I had to spent a day trying to figure out what went wrong). And remember not to split or merge segments when you work the downloaded file in Studio. If the number of segments mismatches between these two programs, you may also run into problems. (I am not entirely sure about this one, because I didn't test it.)

Good luck!

Chun-yi

AndyTsai wrote:

I'm currently using it to translate a 7,000-word project, it is really frustrating. XTM
delays your process by over 50%. I wonder why would any agency spend money on such a dreadful tool? Or is it good for them and bad for us translators who really do the work? Trados 2009 is 100 times better than it.

Anyway, this is my last experience with it, next time a PM asks me to handle a job using XTM, I'll turn down the assignment downright.

Collapse

Chunyi Chen
Chunyi Chen
United States
English to Chinese
XTM has very good customer support Aug 26, 2012

Hi Andy,

I forgot to mention that XTM has excellent customer support. Anytime you have questions, just email them. You will be amazed at the level of service/care you receive.
I don't really like working in XTM, but their customer service deserves recognition.

Chun-yi

AndyTsai wrote:

XTM Intl
XTM Intl
United Kingdom
RE: XTM is a REALLY REALLY BAD tool Aug 27, 2012

Hello Andy,

Thank you for your comment. We are very sorry to hear that you are unhappy with XTM but any criticism of the system is important for us.

Could you please advise us at [email protected] with more details of the problems that you have experienced when working with XTM? User feedback is greatly appreciated as it helps us with adding improvements and making XTM a better tool. Thank you for your input.

Kind regards,
XTM Support Team

AndyTsai wrote:

XTM Intl
XTM Intl
United Kingdom
RE: too much tags Aug 27, 2012

Hello,

Could you please advise us at [email protected] with more details like agencies names that you are working for and projects names? We want to simplify the translation process in XTM as much as possible and such details would help us.

Kind regards,
XTM Support Team

Chun-yi Chen wrote:

I recently did a 14,000 word Indesign file created in XTM and I felt like it was a 30,000-word file! I downloaded the file from the clien'ts XTM online portal, finished it in MemoQ and was able to do it a lot faster than if I had done it in XTM. Even so, I still spent a good chunk of time working around those excessive tags in MemoQ. With my limited experience in XTM, I think it's not a very efficient CAT tool for me to work as a translator, although it might be a different story for project managers.

Chun-yi

Selcuk Akyuz wrote:

[Edited at 2012-08-26 15:58 GMT]

XTM Intl
XTM Intl
United Kingdom
RE: Global find and replace Aug 27, 2012

Hello Marina,

Yes, we have such feature on our development road map. In next verion of XTM there will be available file navigation directly form the Editor and global Find and Replace feature will be added in 2013.

Kind regards,
XTM Support Team

Marina Soldati wrote:

Hi!

I´ve worked on XTM mainly as an editor and I found that it would be great to have a global Find and Replace feature, one that could search for terms or phrases in all the files in a project and replace them.

When the project has 60+ files, it´s too time consuming to open each file and write or copy & paste the phrase/term you want to replace.
Could this be possible?

Thank you
Marina

Justas Staniulis
Justas Staniulis  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:09
Member (2008)
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
Today did my first and probably the last project on XTM Oct 22, 2012

Today tried using XTM for the first time. While in general it is more convenient than most browser based CAT tools I have seen so far (and this is not a high prise, as all browser based CATs are nowhere near as convenient and efficient as standalone software, e.g. MemoQ or SDL Trados), it is extremely slow. After I move to the new segment and start typing, browser seems to freeze and view is no longer updated for some time (even if it accepts keyboard input and I can keep typing... See more
Today tried using XTM for the first time. While in general it is more convenient than most browser based CAT tools I have seen so far (and this is not a high prise, as all browser based CATs are nowhere near as convenient and efficient as standalone software, e.g. MemoQ or SDL Trados), it is extremely slow. After I move to the new segment and start typing, browser seems to freeze and view is no longer updated for some time (even if it accepts keyboard input and I can keep typing blindly). It takes anywhere from several up to 15–20 seconds until browser becomes responsive again and I can see the text I've entered. Impact on productivity is terrible, I think I could have completed the same project twice faster using MemoQ (I found no export function in XTM, maybe it was disabled by the client).
This lag seems to be related to the number of segments displayed – it was absolutely impossible to use the tool with 100 segments displayed but it became a little bit better with 50 segments.

Maybe such slowness is caused by some temporary server problems, but taking into account how many people here complain on XTM being slow, I guess this is more the rule than the exception.
Collapse

Susanna Talia

XTM Intl
XTM Intl
United Kingdom
RE: Today did my first and probably the last project on XTM Oct 23, 2012

Hello Justas,

Could you please send us an-email at [email protected], describing what browser you are using and what type of connection to the Internet you have? 15 -20 seconds response time is certainly not typical. Your feedback would be greatly appreciated. We are looking forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards,
XTM Support Team

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

XTM Translation tool

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »