Ulrich Eberhardt  Identity Verified
Alemanha
Local time: 12:49
Membro (2010)
inglês para alemão
+ ...
Jul 16, 2010

Hello fellow translators,

a potential client asked me to download Across (Personal Edition 5.0) from this link:

www.my-across.net/en/demo-request-pe.aspx

The download finally worked, but when I try to install the program, it says I need Word 2000, & since I don't have that program, the installation doesn't work (I use Open Office 3.2 for text process
... See more
Hello fellow translators,

a potential client asked me to download Across (Personal Edition 5.0) from this link:

www.my-across.net/en/demo-request-pe.aspx

The download finally worked, but when I try to install the program, it says I need Word 2000, & since I don't have that program, the installation doesn't work (I use Open Office 3.2 for text processing). There is mention of a particular Arial Font that the installer looks for on my computer (if needed, I can check & quote the exact error messages).

The project manager at the translation company thinks it shouldn't be an issue, I don't actually need Word in order to install Across. So which detail could I have missed?

All good advice welcome!
Thanks,
*Uli*

[Edited at 2010-07-16 19:44 GMT]
Collapse

WEI XUE
WEI XUE  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 18:49
alemão para chinês
+ ...
MS is must Jul 16, 2010

You have to install MS Office 2003 or 2007, as Across processes .doc ,.xml, .ppt file with MS Office program. Without them, it does not work when processing above format files.

Umang Dholabhai
Umang Dholabhai  Identity Verified
Índia
Local time: 16:19
inglês para guzerate
+ ...
System requirements does not mention MS Office Jul 17, 2010

I just checked this out at:

http://www.across.net/documentation/SystemRequirements_v50_en.pdf .

No where does it explicitly mention that MS Word (rather MS Office!) is a necessity. Fortunately I had a copy of MS Word installed. It would do well to contact Across support.

[Edited at 2010-07-17 12:52 GMT]

Mr Florida
Mr Florida
Local time: 06:49
alemão para inglês
+ ...
MS Office needed Jul 17, 2010

Across needs MS Office, plain and simple. I wouldn't worry too much about their website, they are busy enough trying to fix software bugs (of which there are many).

Once you got Across installed, make sure you set a limit in Windows Start menu - MS SQL Server 2005 - SQL Server Management Studio Express - right-click the top entry in the Object Explorer and select Properties - Memory - Maximum server memory (in MB). I recommend about 10-20% of your total system RAM, otherwise Across
... See more
Across needs MS Office, plain and simple. I wouldn't worry too much about their website, they are busy enough trying to fix software bugs (of which there are many).

Once you got Across installed, make sure you set a limit in Windows Start menu - MS SQL Server 2005 - SQL Server Management Studio Express - right-click the top entry in the Object Explorer and select Properties - Memory - Maximum server memory (in MB). I recommend about 10-20% of your total system RAM, otherwise Across and SQL will slowly kick your other running software into death mode.

If your agency sends you a configuration file that enables you to use their Across server, insist on CrossWan Load. This mode downloads everything to your PC and lets you work offline. Do not work in online mode or you will enjoy an unpaid vacation whenever the server goes down / a connection problem occurs.
Collapse

WEI XUE
WEI XUE  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 18:49
alemão para chinês
+ ...
Office Jul 17, 2010

If you wanna process excel or ppt file, you have to install relative components.

System did not refer MS as a must , but the fact it was that.

Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Membro (2004)
italiano para alemão
+ ...
This maybe of help Jul 17, 2010

http://arm.proz.com/forum/cat_tools_technical_help/136256-standalone_cat_tools_and_ms_office_dependency.html

+
<
... See more
http://arm.proz.com/forum/cat_tools_technical_help/136256-standalone_cat_tools_and_ms_office_dependency.html

+
http://www.proz.com/forum/across_support/76024-across_and_open_office.html#597030

There might have been other discussions on this subject, but the forum search does not always find what you are looking for. I found the second thread only with Google...

[Bearbeitet am 2010-07-17 17:54 GMT]
Collapse

Ulrich Eberhardt
Ulrich Eberhardt  Identity Verified
Alemanha
Membro (2010)
inglês para alemão
+ ...
CRIADOR(A) DO TÓPICO
I installed another software now. Aug 20, 2010

Dear fellow translators,

Thanks for all your tips, and excuse my late reply.

I have installed Anaphraseus now. It's a free software that is compatible with Open Office. It obviously works in the same way as Wordfast.

Best,
Uli

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problems with Installing Across

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »