Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7] >
ChatGPT : Are translators an endangered species ?
Thread poster: M. El Kadimi
David GAY
David GAY
Local time: 10:13
English to French
+ ...
fake news Apr 5, 2023

Ice Scream wrote:

David GAY wrote:
True, but the same goes for many human beings, whose thought is just a compilation of politically correct insights fed by mainstream media.

Or, indeed, a compilation of bigoted disinformation fed by alternative media.

Google and Facebook are working hard to get rid of fake news, which is a catch all term. They are currently hiring many content moderators.Propaganda is as a rule broadcast by mainstream media.

[Edited at 2023-04-05 13:57 GMT]

[Edited at 2023-04-05 14:00 GMT]

Zea_Mays
Zea_Mays  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
DeePL : ChatGPT > 1:0 Apr 5, 2023

Just fed both with same long copy to translate into German and DeePL is better by far.

What ChatGPT handles quite good is writing texts on any topics (the better the prompt the better the outcome), but they are far from perfect.
It is also useful for writing html code.

[Bearbeitet am 2023-04-05 14:20 GMT]

M. El Kadimi

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 04:13
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Making stuff up Apr 5, 2023

One of the problems with ChatGPT is how it authoritatively makes stuff up. When questioned about the location of a company, it stated a fictional address that was not only wrong but non-existent.

Giving new meaning to the phrase "You can't make this stuff up". In the case of AI, yes you can.

Jean Dimitriadis
Jo Macdonald
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Tomasz Sienicki
Ligia Dias Costa

Jo Macdonald
Jo Macdonald  Identity Verified
Spain
Italian to English
+ ...
Transtools type app Apr 6, 2023

In this webinar the impression I got was that Steven is writing prompts (prompt engineering) with Stanislav Okhvat for a TransTools type app.
https://lms.proz.com/course/view.php?id=238
Around 36:30

Julia Efimova wrote:

Has anyone already tried writing prompts for ChatGPT for translation tasks?

I've read recently that it was integrated into Trados, and translators may write prompts to utilize GPT-based translations.

Unfortunately, I don't currently have a Trados license and work on another cloud-based platform.

It would be nice to hear from the pioneers of prompt engineering:)

Baran Keki
Baran Keki  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 11:13
English to Turkish
Phone number Apr 6, 2023

As I understand, in order to have those fascinatingly insightful confabs with ChatGPT, you have to provide your personal phone number.
I was prepared to give a fake name, surname, email address to sign up to see what all the fuss was about (and to lend some credibility to my imaginary dialogue with it), but was really frustrated to find that I had to give my phone number as well. Although I have tons of fake emails, I only happen to have one mobile phone number, and I can't seem to afford
... See more
As I understand, in order to have those fascinatingly insightful confabs with ChatGPT, you have to provide your personal phone number.
I was prepared to give a fake name, surname, email address to sign up to see what all the fuss was about (and to lend some credibility to my imaginary dialogue with it), but was really frustrated to find that I had to give my phone number as well. Although I have tons of fake emails, I only happen to have one mobile phone number, and I can't seem to afford to have a monthly subscription for a spare sim card for trolling purposes.
I have no problem giving my phone number when creating a bank account, online shopping account or even a Proz account (phone number is optional in most cases, anyway).
I can understand why you need to provide your mobile number when creating a Youtube or Facebook account, but being asked your personal phone number as a required step for signing up to have the privilege to chat with this infernal machine struck me as odd to say the least.
Why do they need my phone number? Is it because they can call me up if I ask or say something to upset ChatGPT?
Am I the only person who find it strange that you should give your phone number as a mandatory step for creating an account? You people have no problem with this?
Collapse

Tom in London
MagnusRubensson

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:13
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Good comments Apr 6, 2023

Baran Keki wrote:

You people have no problem with this?

Good comments, Baran. I would only sign up for it because I have a couple of questions I would like to ask it:

1. Can you regulate yourself so that Chat GPT can do nothing in any way that is harmful or illegal now or at any time in the future?

2. Can you express human feelings? Do you even know what feelings are?

[Edited at 2023-04-06 10:53 GMT]

Baran Keki
P.L.F. Persio

Zea_Mays
Italy
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Here you go Apr 6, 2023

Tom in London wrote:

1. Can you regulate yourself so that Chat GPT can do nothing in any way that is harmful or illegal now or at any time in the future?

2. Can you express human feelings? Do you even know what feelings are?

Answers from ChatGPT (responses can be regenerated):

ChatGPT wrote:

1. version a)
As an AI language model, I do not have the ability to regulate myself. However, my behavior and actions are determined by my programming and the ethical guidelines set by my creators at OpenAI. OpenAI has a responsible AI program that aims to ensure that AI technologies are developed and used in a safe, secure, and ethical manner. Additionally, OpenAI has implemented technical and governance measures to ensure that AI systems, including myself, are not used to harm individuals or society.

1. version b)
As an artificial intelligence language model, I do not have the ability to regulate my own actions or behavior. However, I am designed and programmed to adhere to ethical and legal standards. My responses are generated based on the input provided to me, and I strive to provide helpful and informative responses while also avoiding any content that may be considered harmful or illegal. Additionally, my training data is carefully curated to ensure that I do not reproduce biased or offensive content. It is ultimately up to the user to use my responses in a responsible and ethical manner.

2. version a)
As an artificial intelligence language model, I do not have feelings in the same way that humans do. I am a machine designed to process and generate language based on statistical patterns in data. While I can generate text that may express emotions, these are not actual emotions that I experience. I can recognize and understand the concepts of emotions through the data and patterns that I have been trained on, but I do not have subjective experiences or consciousness.

2. version b)
As an artificial intelligence language model, I do not have emotions or feelings in the way that humans experience them. I do not have subjective experiences or consciousness, and I am not capable of experiencing joy, sadness, or any other emotions.

However, I am programmed to recognize and understand the concepts of emotions and feelings and can provide responses that incorporate an understanding of these concepts. For example, I can provide information about emotions, their effects on human behavior, and ways to manage them. I can also recognize certain emotional cues in language and respond appropriately based on my programming. However, it is important to note that my responses are generated based on algorithms and rules, rather than personal experience or subjective feeling.

The tool "speaks" various languages - I "talked" with it in German and Italian discussing for example why it uses "I" referring to itself, if it can actually say "my knowledge" or what its footprint is.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Thanks Apr 6, 2023

Zea_Mays wrote:

all that stuff

Thanks. I expected disappointment and a lot of beating about the bush, and that's what I got.

My second question was deliberately framed in a way that might be very offensive or upsetting to a human being .

But the idiot Chat GPT doesn't know how to be offended/hurt/angry. Instead, it waffles and talks nonsense.

[Edited at 2023-04-06 12:11 GMT]

Lingua 5B

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Use it without a phone number Apr 6, 2023

Without a phone number

1. https://openai.com/blog/chatgpt (scroll down a little, look to the left)
2. Click Try ChatGPT
3. Click Log in, then scroll down a little and chose your gmail (use spare gmail, if you are concerned)
4. You are in, click "Next" several times and click done
5. Click in the text line "send a message" asking your question

I always used
... See more
Without a phone number

2. Click Try ChatGPT
3. Click Log in, then scroll down a little and chose your gmail (use spare gmail, if you are concerned)

I always used it without a phone, perhaps it differs in different countries?

I can see now ChatGPT4, a modernized version. I haven't tried it and will not, perhaps this one is not free of charge.
Collapse

Baran Keki

Zea_Mays
Italy
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Expectations Apr 6, 2023

Tom in London wrote:

Thanks. I expected disappointment and a lot of beating about the bush, and that's what I got.

My second question was deliberately framed in a way that might be very offensive or upsetting to a human being .

But the idiot Chat GPT doesn't know how to be offended/hurt/angry. Instead, it waffles and talks nonsense.

It's just a bot. And thank goodness it is limited. Imagine it could regulate itself = make decisions (remember Hal?).

idiot

Being just software it can't be an idiot.

But, what are we expecting from such a tool?

Lingua 5B

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Nothing Apr 6, 2023

Zea_Mays wrote:

Nothing much.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Can't be àrsed Apr 6, 2023

Lingua 5B wrote:

Without a phone number

2. Click Try ChatGPT

I always used it without a phone, perhaps it differs in different countries?

I can see now ChatGPT4, a modernized version. I haven't tried it and will not, perhaps this one is not free of charge.

I'm really not that interested.

Baran Keki

Lingua 5B
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
By ChatGPT4 Apr 6, 2023

Me: Write a poem titled "Can't be àrsed"

ChatGPT4:

Can't be arsed to get out of bed
A million thoughts running through my head
The day ahead seems like a chore
I'd rather stay here forevermore

Responsibilities weigh me down
My spirit feels like it might drown
But I can't escape the daily grind
No matter how much I try to unwind

The to-do list is a mile long
And motivation's all but gone
I know I
... See more
Me: Write a poem titled "Can't be àrsed"

ChatGPT4:

Can't be arsed to get out of bed
A million thoughts running through my head
The day ahead seems like a chore
I'd rather stay here forevermore

Responsibilities weigh me down
My spirit feels like it might drown
But I can't escape the daily grind
No matter how much I try to unwind

The to-do list is a mile long
And motivation's all but gone
I know I must get up and go
But the energy just won't show

Maybe a coffee will do the trick
Or a walk outside to clear my head
But the truth is I just can't be arsed
To face the world and leave my bed

So I'll lay here for a little while
And let my thoughts run free
Until the day is too far gone
And the choice is taken from me.
Collapse

Baran Keki
Christopher Schröder
Zea_Mays
Maria G. Grassi, MA AITI

Lingua 5B
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
My rates Apr 6, 2023

Zea_Mays wrote:

To leave my translation rate alone.

Baran Keki
Tom in London

Zea_Mays
Italy
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
No worries as of yet Apr 6, 2023

Lingua 5B wrote:

Zea_Mays wrote:

To leave my translation rate alone.

For now it does. As said DeepL is a deal better. So for translators the problem is not ChatGPT.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7] >

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

ChatGPT : Are translators an endangered species ?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »