jokerman
Germany
Local time: 22:39
Member (2008)
English to German
+ ...
Oct 17, 2008

Hi @ everyone,

it's time for a new laptop and after several PCs in the past, I am for the first time considering buying a Mac.

Now, the most important question is: Will my Trados (Freelance 7.0 with licence number, not a dongle, used only on PC so far) work on the new Mac properly or is there a separate version of Trados for Macs (meaning that I'd need to buy a new copy of Trados then as well)?

On a more general note, I'd much appreciate any Mac user shari
... See more
Hi @ everyone,

it's time for a new laptop and after several PCs in the past, I am for the first time considering buying a Mac.

Now, the most important question is: Will my Trados (Freelance 7.0 with licence number, not a dongle, used only on PC so far) work on the new Mac properly or is there a separate version of Trados for Macs (meaning that I'd need to buy a new copy of Trados then as well)?

On a more general note, I'd much appreciate any Mac user sharing his experiences with Mac, i.e. would you really recommend it over a PC-laptop?

Thanks & bests,

Igor
Collapse

Cetacea
Cetacea  Identity Verified
Switzerland
English to German
+ ...
No Trados on Mac Oct 17, 2008

Hi Igor,

Trados won't work on a Mac, unless you run Windows in parallel on one of the new Intel-based machines, of course. If you'd like to use TM software on a Mac, you'd have to go for Wordfast. Both solutions work well, I am told, but I couldn't confirm that, since I don't use any TM software; the kind of texts I handle doesn't require it.

Having said that, I switched to Mac back in 1996, and I would never ever go back! You see, I think computers are there to make my
... See more
Hi Igor,

Trados won't work on a Mac, unless you run Windows in parallel on one of the new Intel-based machines, of course. If you'd like to use TM software on a Mac, you'd have to go for Wordfast. Both solutions work well, I am told, but I couldn't confirm that, since I don't use any TM software; the kind of texts I handle doesn't require it.

Having said that, I switched to Mac back in 1996, and I would never ever go back! You see, I think computers are there to make my life easier, not vice versa.

I'm using a big-screen iMac and a MacBook Pro in a network. Both are very fast, stable, absolutely plug&play, and (still...) virtually virus-free. Plus, MacOS X 10.5 offers some really neat features, e.g. a preview feature that lets you look at the contents of a file without having to open it or rather the application it requires first.

Of course, I realize it's quite an investment to buy not only a new machine but also new software, so maybe you should try and find somebody in your neighborhood who owns a new Mac and lets you play with it a little to see whether it's worth your while. I think it is, but that's my personal opinion.
Collapse

Teresa Bento
Teresa Bento  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 21:39
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Thumbs up for Mac Oct 17, 2008

I have a PC and a laptop, but if there was a nice CAT tool for Mac, I think I would definitely buy one. My boyfriend has a Macbook, so he was the one who hooked me. Although they're more expensive, I think they're worth it. Can you imagine "virtually" no viruses, great image quality, cool tools and sound, all in a neat and elegant package?

I sometimes secretly wish my old laptop would crash soon, so that I could get a
... See more
I have a PC and a laptop, but if there was a nice CAT tool for Mac, I think I would definitely buy one. My boyfriend has a Macbook, so he was the one who hooked me. Although they're more expensive, I think they're worth it. Can you imagine "virtually" no viruses, great image quality, cool tools and sound, all in a neat and elegant package?

I sometimes secretly wish my old laptop would crash soon, so that I could get a brand new Macbook...

Teresa

[Edited at 2008-10-17 15:11]
Collapse

MortenS
MortenS  Identity Verified
English to Norwegian
+ ...
The best of both worlds Oct 17, 2008

I use a MacBook Pro where I´ve installed Parallels Desktop, which allows me to run Windows simultaneously with Mac-applications. I run Windows in a separate window (!), just like any other application.

I don´t use Trados so I cant´t say for sure if it would work under Parallels, but I cannot see any reason why it should not, if there is no physical component (dongle) that must be connected.

A warning about Wordfast: It´s a great product, but it cannot be run on the
... See more
I use a MacBook Pro where I´ve installed Parallels Desktop, which allows me to run Windows simultaneously with Mac-applications. I run Windows in a separate window (!), just like any other application.

I don´t use Trados so I cant´t say for sure if it would work under Parallels, but I cannot see any reason why it should not, if there is no physical component (dongle) that must be connected.

A warning about Wordfast: It´s a great product, but it cannot be run on the newest version of Word for Mac because macros have been removed from that version. So I run Wordfast under windows, no problem.

I switched from a pure Windows-PC to Mac a couple of years ago, and there´s no way back. And with Parallels Desktop I can continue to use all my windows-based dictionaries etc.

For those who really want to know all the great possibilities in Mac OS X, I reccomend the book "Mac OS X Leopard - The Missing Manual".

If you need any specific information, just ask.
Collapse

Thomas Carlsen
Thomas Carlsen  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
Trados works Oct 17, 2008

Hi Igor,
you might want to look at this:
http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/117272-trados_on_an_intel_mac.html#962789

besides - I'm using Macs & Wins since 1991 and enjoy both worlds - Macs absolutely preferred but still not too practicable for business applications. But on intel Macs you can have both worlds in one
... See more
Hi Igor,
you might want to look at this:
http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/117272-trados_on_an_intel_mac.html#962789

besides - I'm using Macs & Wins since 1991 and enjoy both worlds - Macs absolutely preferred but still not too practicable for business applications. But on intel Macs you can have both worlds in one machine, which facilitates many things...
Best regards,
Thomas
Collapse

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
German to Spanish
Yes Oct 17, 2008

Perfect!

I have a MacBook Pro and run Trados 2007 SP2 + Dragon NaturallySpeaking in a Windows XP installed with VMware Fusion 2, just run like another application in Mac OSX.

Perfect!

My PC (with 2 monitors) is disconnected since 6 month

I like the "white" color in Mac.

Naturally I only use Windows for Trados, for the rest Leopard.

Regards

Roland Lelaj
Roland Lelaj
Canada
Local time: 16:39
Member (2008)
English to Albanian
+ ...
Mac for sure and never back again Oct 18, 2008

Yes, with Intel based Mac's you can work with both platforms switching from one to the other one without problem. It's more expensive than a Pc but is really worth: you have the freedom of no viruses and bugs, reliability, simplicity, clear imagine and sound, modern design etc.

And here is the news of the last moment:
The Associated Press, October 14, 2008
CUPERTINO, Calif. — Apple Inc. touched up its line of laptop computers Tuesday with a minimal nod to the economi
... See more
Yes, with Intel based Mac's you can work with both platforms switching from one to the other one without problem. It's more expensive than a Pc but is really worth: you have the freedom of no viruses and bugs, reliability, simplicity, clear imagine and sound, modern design etc.

And here is the news of the last moment:
The Associated Press, October 14, 2008
CUPERTINO, Calif. — Apple Inc. touched up its line of laptop computers Tuesday with a minimal nod to the economic turmoil that might push consumers to be more frugal this holiday shopping season.
Apple avoided a major price cut to the Macintosh line, though it did lower its least expensive computer, the existing version of the entry-level MacBook to $999.

Mac for sure and never back again...
Collapse

Claudio Chagas (X)
Claudio Chagas (X)
Brazil
Local time: 17:39
English to Portuguese
+ ...
OmegaT Oct 22, 2008

I have been a Mac user since my university times and I must admit that it was a lot easier to start on Macs. Their OS is far superior to Windows PCs. The only problem is that there are so many things that aren't compatible with it. It is true that the software industry is shifting from desktop based software to Web based applications, such as Google apps and cloud computing. But while things don't change completely Mac users have to find work around solutions to work with PC software. There are ... See more
I have been a Mac user since my university times and I must admit that it was a lot easier to start on Macs. Their OS is far superior to Windows PCs. The only problem is that there are so many things that aren't compatible with it. It is true that the software industry is shifting from desktop based software to Web based applications, such as Google apps and cloud computing. But while things don't change completely Mac users have to find work around solutions to work with PC software. There are some good solutions already available, such as Parallels, but all require a powerful Mac with plenty of hard disk space and memory.

Now if you your Mac isn't one of those new Intel ones with a high specification, you can probably use OmegaT to meet your TM requirements. I think it's an excellent application and it's free. I like it specially to translate HTML files, but it also works wonderfully to translate spreadsheets, PPT and Word documents using the free OpenOffice.org as a filter to open Microsoft Office documents. The newest version supports Microsoft Office 2007 XML format natively, even though it still works better with OpenOffice.org files at this development stage. So why don't you give it a go and see how you like it. The official OmegaT web site is http://www.omegat.org/

You can also check for the latest beta releases here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/omegat I am using the Beta version 1.8.0_02 because it includes dictionary capabilities and checks the spelling in the target language as you type. It's really a useful tool and worth a try.

There's also more useful info about OmegaT here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OmegaT
Collapse

jokerman
jokerman
Germany
Member (2008)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks everyone... Oct 29, 2008

... for the valuable hints and insights!

After a close review of both your answers and the experiences/testimonials/test results in the internet, I have decided to go for a Windows-PC once again. I am sure that I will be annoyed by all the Microsoft typicall drawbacks (and especially by Vista!!) more than just once, but to me a MAC unfortunately seems to be not a perfect solution for the work yet .

Howeve
... See more
... for the valuable hints and insights!

After a close review of both your answers and the experiences/testimonials/test results in the internet, I have decided to go for a Windows-PC once again. I am sure that I will be annoyed by all the Microsoft typicall drawbacks (and especially by Vista!!) more than just once, but to me a MAC unfortunately seems to be not a perfect solution for the work yet .

However, in the past few days, I've had several opportunities to use a Macbook and to learn about its advantages - and its day has come much closer, that's for sure.

Once again, thanks a lot for your replies!

Best regards,

igor
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Mac and Trados - do they match?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »