Bruno Depascale  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 08:24
Member (2009)
English to Italian
+ ...
Mar 10, 2014

Dear translators and mac users,
I wanted to draw your attention to an issue regarding the use of Trados multiterm on a virtual machine (Parallels).
I have searched thoroughly the forums and I have also had a conversation with Paul from the SDL support, but nobody seems to know the issue I am going to talk about.
Trados Studio 2014 works pretty fine on my Parallels virtual machine, but the problems lies with Multiterm and its database.
Indeed, if one activates the shared
... See more
Dear translators and mac users,
I wanted to draw your attention to an issue regarding the use of Trados multiterm on a virtual machine (Parallels).
I have searched thoroughly the forums and I have also had a conversation with Paul from the SDL support, but nobody seems to know the issue I am going to talk about.
Trados Studio 2014 works pretty fine on my Parallels virtual machine, but the problems lies with Multiterm and its database.
Indeed, if one activates the shared folders modality in Parallels, in order to have access to the mac desktop and documents via the Virtual machine, it happens something very strange with multiterm database.
If I save the multiterm database in a shared folder named “Documents”, Trados automatically creates such path: “\\psf\\Home\\Documents\\Multiterm database”.
I am pretty sure that such path saves the terms added in multiterm in a “virtual memory”, because, if I put the virtual machine to sleep, after I reopen it again, all the terms I have saved in the termbase are lost. Another strange behavior is that often the multiterm database gets corrupted and I cannot open it anymore.
So, a solution to such problems would be to create a folder in the virtual machine, without sharing it with the mac.
Such problems affect only multiterm databases and not translation memories. Indeed, TM got updated with no problems at all.
I hope this post will be useful to other mac user, and would recommend SDL support to open a “mac user” section in their website, in order to help with such issues.
Thank you,
Collapse

Marcos Cardenas
Marcos Cardenas  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 02:24
English to Spanish
+ ...
I happened to me as well Jul 2, 2014

Hello Bruno,
I understand what you point out. It happened to me when working with Parallels and the TMs disappeared mysteriously when putting Windows to sleep. Then I realised this bug happens only when you create and save TMs directly on Windows. Personally I don't use Parallels anymore, I moved to VMware and this issue never occurred again. I can safely create paths on Windows, save files and TMs directly on it, share Mac/Win folders and so on.
I recommend you to always create a b
... See more
Hello Bruno,
I understand what you point out. It happened to me when working with Parallels and the TMs disappeared mysteriously when putting Windows to sleep. Then I realised this bug happens only when you create and save TMs directly on Windows. Personally I don't use Parallels anymore, I moved to VMware and this issue never occurred again. I can safely create paths on Windows, save files and TMs directly on it, share Mac/Win folders and so on.
I recommend you to always create a back-up folder containing the TMs, source and target files and glossaries on your Mac, and work with them from Windows. Another solution is to create a term base on a server so that you can update it and save changes on the spot. This way it can be accessed at any time, from anywhere at no risk of terms getting lost in virtual memory.

I hope it's useful!!

Cheers!
Collapse

Bruno Depascale
Bruno Depascale  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 08:24
Member (2009)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Marcos! Jul 2, 2014

Marcos Cardenas wrote:

Hello Bruno,
I recommend you to always create a back-up folder containing the TMs, source and target files and glossaries on your Mac, and work with them from Windows. Another solution is to create a term base on a server so that you can update it and save changes on the spot. This way it can be accessed at any time, from anywhere at no risk of terms getting lost in virtual memory.

I hope it's useful!!

Cheers!

Thank you for your input Marcos!
Indeed, there must be some problems in using the shared folders option in parallels.
If I use a shared folders, I simply keep losing the terms that I have entered in the termbase, and what is worst, I don't know why.
I talked with Paul and he suggested me to place the folder containing the termbase in a windows folder. (that is, a folder that is not accessible from the mac side).
This way seems to solve the problem, but nonetheless I have noticed strange behaviors from time to time.
So you suggest me to switch to VMware. I will do some research about it, to see if it is user friendly or not.
Thank you very much for your help!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Terms added to multiterm get lost in the Virtual machine

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »