Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:46
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Recommended microphone Dec 31, 2015

Meta Arkadia wrote:

I also need a mic

The one I recommended above, and which I use for Dictation, is available worldwide - you can find it on eBay for about GBP 20. Here it is in English:

http://www.plantronics.com/uk/product/blackwire-435

BTW we're talking here about dictating text - not commands for operating the computer.

[Edited at 2015-12-31 09:02 GMT]

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 12:46
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Plantronics Dec 31, 2015

Thank you, Tom. Plantronics seems to be available here, though I haven't found the exact model yet. Buying at Amazon or eBay isn't an option, family and friends of custom officers also need nice things every once in a while.

Cheers,

Hans

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Dictating text and commands Dec 31, 2015

Tom in London wrote:
BTW we're talking here about dictating text - not commands for operating the computer.

I know, but I think it's related. I mean, what if I dictate text in Dutch, and then have to dictate a command in English because the app I use doesn't have "Maak vet" for "Make bold"? I realise it's not your problem, but there must be other people who dictate in another language than English.

[Edited to quote myself because nobody else ever does]

"Maak vet" for "Make bold"

Wrong example. That would be in the list of dictation commands. However, "Next Segment" in my CAT tool isn't. It's easy enough to create that command, but will the Dictation.app understand me?

Cheers,

Hans

[Edited at 2015-12-31 11:57 GMT]

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Commands Jan 1, 2016

.....will the Dictation.app understand me?

Cheers,

Hans

When using Apple Dictation, I can say "space" "new paragraph" " open quotes" "close quotes" etc and it will do those things.

It will also do them if I speak the commands in Italian (having switched the language from English to Italian) or in any other language - but you can't *mix* languages.

[Edited at 2016-01-01 17:12 GMT]

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Mix them not Jan 1, 2016

Tom in London wrote:
...but you can't *mix* languages.

Thank you again, Tom (in London). You're actually the first person who answered my question, and this wasn't the first time I asked it. Far from it.

So do you think that I should create commands in Dutch for all commands in English when I dictate in Dutch in an app that doesn't have an interface in Dutch? That sounds like a lot of work to me.

Lucia, how did you solve the problem? I take it you dictate in Wordfast, in Italian? Does Wordfast have an Italian interface?

Cheers,

Hans

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
keyboard shortcuts Jan 1, 2016

Meta Arkadia wrote:

Tom in London wrote:
...but you can't *mix* languages.

Thank you again, Tom (in London). You're actually the first person who answered my question, and this wasn't the first time I asked it. Far from it.

So do you think that I should create commands in Dutch for all commands in English when I dictate in Dutch in an app that doesn't have an interface in Dutch? That sounds like a lot of work to me.

Lucia, how did you solve the problem? I take it you dictate in Wordfast, in Italian? Does Wordfast have an Italian interface?

Cheers,

Hans

Hans,

In my experience, most of using dictation software to access UI functions (i.e., as opposed to just dictating text, which is what I use Dragon for 99% of the time) involves connecting voice commands to keyboard shortcuts. These voice commands can be anything you feel is easiest to remember. At least, that's how I do it. Of course, certain programs have ready-made commands, like "bold this", "italics this", etc. in Dragon, but most of the useful stuff will be accessible via shortcuts.

[Edited at 2016-01-01 18:02 GMT]

[Edited at 2016-01-02 11:50 GMT]

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Work to do Jan 2, 2016

Michael Beijer wrote:
In my experience, most of using dictation software to access UI functions involves connecting voice commands to keyboard shortcuts.

Thank you, Michael. It seems that that is what I'll have to do, create commands in Dutch for that particular app (CafeTran, of course). I may as well volunteer to localise the UI into Dutch while I'm at it. Will have to think about it.

Cheers,

Hans

Lucia Messuti
Lucia Messuti  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 07:46
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Still not working with Wordfast Pro Jan 5, 2016

Very interesting this thread....I didn't realize there are so many colelgues using dictation.

However, I cannot use it with Wordfast, which is my primary CAT tool.
I can dictate in Word but not in txml files.

When I try, I dictate, but it writes the first letter of the forst word then it goes back, even deleting it.

I posted a thread in teh Wordfast forum and I also sent an email to Wordfast support, but I've received any reply, yet.

... See more
Very interesting this thread....I didn't realize there are so many colelgues using dictation.

However, I cannot use it with Wordfast, which is my primary CAT tool.
I can dictate in Word but not in txml files.

When I try, I dictate, but it writes the first letter of the forst word then it goes back, even deleting it.

I posted a thread in teh Wordfast forum and I also sent an email to Wordfast support, but I've received any reply, yet.

Lucia
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Dictation on MacBook Pro OS Maverick

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »